Welsh girls names

(20 Posts)
AmIGoingMad Thu 14-Feb-13 05:11:20

I started a thread yesterday on names of French origin and there are some lovely ones that will go onto discussion list. My only concern with them is that as we have a traditional (welsh origin?) surname, they might not flow well with it.
There are some lovely welsh names out there for girls. Can you suggest/ remind me of a few please?

Eira
Seren
Dorcus (not lovely but my great grandmother's name and it still makes me giggle grin)

AmIGoingMad Thu 14-Feb-13 07:57:43

Seren is pretty! I like Eira but I think it means snow so might not work for a Summer baby- due in June. Thanks!

chimchar Thu 14-Feb-13 08:24:16

Haf...means summer in welsh.
Elin
Betrys
Manon
Ffion
Magi
Nansi
Nia
Alys

Rhiannon
Nimue
Rhonwen

These are my faves, I love them!! Am considering them myself smile

maxmissie Thu 14-Feb-13 08:29:25

Bethan
Gwenllian
Ceinwen
Morfydd

All names from dh's family.

MarthasHarbour Thu 14-Feb-13 08:34:46

Ceri (pronounced Kerry)
Ffion
Cerys
Seren
Morwenna
Menna
Myfanwy

MorningHasBroken Thu 14-Feb-13 08:49:31

Anwen, Gwennan, Angharad (nn Harry), Rhiannon, Carys, Cerys, Megan, Catrin, Iona, Lowri, Nia, Seren, Rhiannon, Bethan.

Cwtchbach Thu 14-Feb-13 09:13:25

Trying to think of names that haven't been mentioned.
Eleri, Elenud, Mari, Mair, Iola, Non, Einir, Branwen, Bronwen, Hafwen, Heulwen

Cwtchbach Thu 14-Feb-13 09:15:29

Nerys, Carys, Sian, Mabli, Mali

raisah Thu 14-Feb-13 09:35:41

I went to school with a Bet-Sam, her family were from Cardiff. My old boss was called Non & she was fromk Fishguard.

Olwen

badtime Thu 14-Feb-13 14:14:40

I you should go for Manon, as it is a French and a Welsh name (each with different origins and meanings).

mejon Thu 14-Feb-13 15:40:44

Nimue???!!!

AmIGoingMad Thu 14-Feb-13 18:31:32

Rhonwen is so pretty! Had also forgotten about Carys. Like the idea behind Manon but not sure of the name itself yet. Going to say it aloud to myself for a bit and see what I think then. I might well appear to be mad to passers by!

YippeeTeenager Fri 15-Feb-13 21:50:42

How about Gwen?

semillon Fri 15-Feb-13 22:27:09

Cadi
Mali
Fflur
Alys
Peri
Elen
Nia
Mai
Mari
Gwenllian
Cari

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Fri 15-Feb-13 22:31:23

Gwen is very Welsh (as am I!) but I also know a Gwenaelle (called Gwen) who is French.

jinglebellmel Fri 15-Feb-13 22:35:10

Really like Meridydd/Meredith (not sure on spelling but I'm sure someone can confirm) others that come to mind- Ffion, Lowri, Llynos/Llinos(again not sure on spelling), Anwen, Olwen, Delyth, Gwawr, Enfys, Mali, Megan, Nia, Nerys.

blushingm Sat 16-Feb-13 11:06:45

Arianwen?
Rhyanydd
Sioned?
Rhian
Cerys
Kathryn
Sian
Heulwen (means sunshine, we don't get a lot!)
Morgan
Enfys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now