Keziah

(43 Posts)
IWantMyBabyNow Tue 12-Feb-13 17:20:25

What do you think? I'm really starting to like it, especially as its biblical and not very common. Though I'm not sure which is the correct pronunciation Ke zee ah or Kez eye ah? I like both.

Surrealistrhinoceros Thu 14-Feb-13 13:01:23

I know a lovely teenage one. Family are quite committed Christians so I assume it's for the Bible connection. People may assume you're of a particular faith as its both unusual and biblical. Would that trouble you if it's not the case? I have a son with an unusual old testament name and am happy to field the occasional 'are you Jewish?' question - we're not.

There was also a lovely book called The Diddakoi when I was young, by Rumer Godden, where the heroine started out as Kizzy and ended up Kezia. I loved that book so would make that connection. Could you legitimately shorten to Kizzy? There's one in my daughters class and it is sweet for a small girl.

marmiteandhoney Thu 14-Feb-13 13:58:55

I think it's lovely. If my youngest son had been a daughter, Keziah (probably pn Kez-eye-ah, although I've a fondness for Ketsy-ah as well) was top of our list (he got Solomon).

WowOoo Colombia Thu 14-Feb-13 14:01:50

I was going to say Keziah Jones too! So, I always thought it was a boys name.

Anyway, it's lovely.

WowOoo Colombia Thu 14-Feb-13 14:10:19

BTW I prefer Kez Zee Ay pronunciation.
I think of other -iah names and that's how I say them in my head.

Congrats for your soon to be little one.

fortheloveofpinkflamingos Thu 14-Feb-13 15:25:41

I knew a rather posh Keziah pron Kez-ee-ah, she had a brother called Horatio

lovely name

SnowyWellies Thu 14-Feb-13 15:38:39

I love it, and pronounce it Kez-eye-ah. (to rhyme with Isaiah)

The only one i know was a character in the Jinny horse books. I would LOVE to be a Keziah.

Bue Thu 14-Feb-13 17:55:23

This is my 'guilty pleasure' name. I couldn't see myself using but I just love it so much! I know two - one in England (KEZ-ee-uh) and one in Canada (Kez-EYE-ah).

3ofeach Mon 18-Feb-13 12:13:34

My DD2 is Keziah, so obviously I love it and so does she ( she is 6 ) We have only met 2 others so far. We pronounce it Kez ee a. She gets Kizzy as a nickname. The only thing that worried me once she was born and went to register the birth was that people would shorten it to Kez which I hate. I have made it clear that she is not to be called Kez and if people want to shorten it to use Kizzy. She will now correct poeple on the few occasions this has happened.
Part of the reason I liked it was from The Diddakoi which is such a lovely book. I bought her a first edition when she was a baby and looking forward to her being able to read it and hopefully love it too.
I thought that it was an unusual but pretty name that people would not have too much of a preconcieved idea of and that she could make her own. No one has ever said to my face they think it is chavvy and we have not had trouble with people finding it difficult to spell or pronounce.
Go for it

meditrina Mon 18-Feb-13 12:17:55

I would pronounce it Kez-eye-a, (closer to Biblical standard pronunciation patterns). I think other variants may be more common, though.

tallulah Mon 18-Feb-13 18:22:25

This was my cat's name grin. We pronounced it Kay - sha. The vet used to call her Kayz - eye - a (like Isiah) and we never caught that on first calling. I wanted to name DD2 it too but DH wouldn't let me name her after the cat...

She'll be called Kezz or Kexzie which makes a pretty name pretty rough.

rubydoobydoo Mon 18-Feb-13 20:37:00

I like it - but the only one I've ever met (pronounced Kez - EE -uh) hated it and went by Cathy instead!

deleted203 Mon 18-Feb-13 20:39:04

I like it - and was going to mention Kizzy and the Didakoi like other posters!

Willdoitinaminute Mon 18-Feb-13 20:45:02

I love it. It is an old family name and was on my list of girls name had we had a girl. My grandmothers cousin was Keziah and it was pronounced kuz- eye-a. I think it is a biblical name hence the pronunciation. It is often shortened to Kizzy also lovely for a little girl.

elah11 Mon 18-Feb-13 20:45:30

Gorgeous name and one I had on my list for dd except dh vetoed it! I would have pronounced it Kez eye ah, tbh I didnt realise there was another way to pronounce it, thats the only one I have ever heard.

thewhistler Mon 18-Feb-13 20:52:34

I like it, for me the associations are with the delightful.dd of friends , who pointed out it means cinnamon, and with Kizzy, of Rumer Godden's the diddakoi. It isn't chavvy if you aren't. Not that there is anything morally wrong with that any way.

I have a name that 99 % of people spell wrongly and it doesn't worry me.

Would you give her a more usual middle name so she could change of she really wanted?

Bathsheba Belgium Tue 19-Feb-13 19:04:05

I know one - she is a Key-zee-ah

zingally Wed 20-Feb-13 17:51:00

I'd pronounce it Kee-ze-ah. But I've no idea if that's right.

I think pay attention to the commenter above WITH THAT NAME who says avoid it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now