Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Elysia or Cecilia?

(21 Posts)

Cecilia anodyne beyond belief.

Elysia. Lovely.

poppydaisy Thu 14-Feb-13 10:16:58

I like the sound of both but the meaning of Cecilia (latin = blind) would put me off a little, so I'd probably go for Elysia - beautiful, classy and underused!

Just asked my teenage Elysia and she says it's a cool name, would definitely recommend it. She does have to spell it quite often but when she does everyone comments on how beautiful it is.

I looked very carefully at meanings before I named my kids, as my own name doesn't have the best meaning. I thought I couldn't go wrong with "heavenly bliss"... until she was googling one day and found out it was also the name of a genus of sea slugs! But don't let that put you off.

Cecilia but I am biased it's my dd's name, I often get told it is a beautiful name. My aunt is also Cecilia, my dad calls his sister Cel or Sis probably because there was many Cecilia's in his family.

lljkk Wed 13-Feb-13 18:46:49

I think I know one, at least there's a girl I know with a similar name. She very quickly tells everyone to call her Ellie instead.

OhThePlacesYoullGo Wed 13-Feb-13 18:34:42

We would go with 'e-LEES-ia', but I can see your point re: pronunciation.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Wed 13-Feb-13 16:15:45

I teach an Elysia, and it's pronounced Alicia. I always think it looks more like e-LEES-ia (as in Elise with an ia at the end). For that reason I say Cecilia. People will not know how to pronounce Elysia which will be a pain for her.

Narked Tue 12-Feb-13 17:46:26

I am a tact-free zone blush

hatebeak Tue 12-Feb-13 16:44:20

I was trying not to say that outright, but yes...

Narked Tue 12-Feb-13 12:54:47

That's where the name's from. I agree. It makes me think of death.

hatebeak Tue 12-Feb-13 11:44:14

Elysia is so much like Elysium/Elysian Fields. I know it's a version of heaven, but I couldn't hear it without thinking of the afterlife...

Floralnomad Tue 12-Feb-13 11:07:53

Cecilia . Had you considered Cecily , I think it runs better with the middle name ?

MyMamaToldMe Tue 12-Feb-13 11:06:05

Cecelia! Beautiful name!

hatsybatsy Tue 12-Feb-13 10:50:35

Cecilia

Elysia will be condemning her to a lifetime of spelling mistakes - a cross I have had to bear.......

NowPlayingZone Tue 12-Feb-13 10:35:31

Both lovely.

Elysia is a name derived from Elysium & means blissful sweetness. I know an Elycia who is lovely.

Cecilia however, means blind. So on that basis alone I say Elysia!

LeoandBoosmum Tue 12-Feb-13 02:25:11

I prefer Cecilia by a mile smile

DessieLou Tue 12-Feb-13 01:32:40

Definitely Cecilia! Is Elysia an alternative spelling to Alicia? If so I prefer this spelling. Both pretty names. :-)

almostanotherday Mon 11-Feb-13 22:44:02

Elysia is a lovely name.

NTitled Mon 11-Feb-13 22:43:41

Cecilia.

OhThePlacesYoullGo Mon 11-Feb-13 22:43:12

We can't decide. Middle name will be Violet (after partner's GM) and it's L.-G. for (quite long, double barrelled) surname.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now