Gordon??

(44 Posts)
PurpleStorm Mon 11-Feb-13 22:09:14

I quite like Gordon, but DH says that we shouldn't consider it because Gordon in Thomas the Tank Engine is a bit of a twat.

Opinions please??

Maybe because I'm in Scotland, or perhaps I'm just naive and ancient, but this name seems like a perfectly sound choice to me.

ouryve Tue 12-Feb-13 16:54:40

There's also Gordon Brown, Gordon Ramsay, Gordon the Gopher....

PurpleStorm Tue 12-Feb-13 22:11:33

The Gordon Brown association is off-putting, and one I'd not considered until this thread.

James and Duncan are both good names for our list smile

BabyRoger Tue 12-Feb-13 22:14:08

Oh thank goodness. I thought when I clicked on this that everyone was going to say Gordon is a great name.

I'm Scottish too and know loads of (v much older) Gordon's. It really isn't a nice name and neither is Douglas

LentilAsAnything Wed 13-Feb-13 01:08:48

It was good enough for Page's BareNaked Ladies' baby!
That's the song that first came to mind for me, not Gordon is a moron. But yes, that's rather off-putting.

LentilAsAnything Wed 13-Feb-13 01:16:23

*STEVEN Page's baby!

squoosh Wed 13-Feb-13 13:30:54

Really common name in Scotland amongst all age groups. Still awful though.

Bue Wed 13-Feb-13 13:35:24

The Barenaked Ladies are from Ontario, where there is still a pretty strong Scottish historical influence. These kinds of names, while old fashioned, aren't weird there. I went to school with Douglas, Gordon, Ross, etc. Probably more common as middle names though - maybe try that route? I agree it doesn't really work on an English kid.

12ylnon Wed 13-Feb-13 16:18:43

Gordon is a moron. Not from my generation, but was still the first thing i thought of.

CruCru Fri 15-Feb-13 18:36:37

I have never met a nice, normal one yet (having said that, I only know three). One in particular is the oddest, most unreasonable man I know. So I say no way.

Gordon would be on my list for a hypothetical DS, love it smile

MoonHare Fri 15-Feb-13 18:44:31

Not Gordon.

Gregory?

My Dads name and DS' middle name.
I would have named DS (first name) after my Dad if it were any other name than Gordon. (Well not any other name, but you know what I mean)
I just don't think it sounds right as a first name, fine for a middle name.

PurpleStorm Sat 16-Feb-13 14:53:07

Love Gregory - I wanted to name DS that - but DH refused to even consider it. Said that Gregory was too girly confused

Sadly, I can't see him changing his mind on that for DC2.

amck5700 Sat 16-Feb-13 15:01:56

Craig
Murdo
Moray
Nairn
Torin
Innes
Gregor (it's not girly!)
Greig
Andrew
Fraser
Alec
Alastair

But I wouldn't do Gordon - I don't think the world is ready yet for a new batch of Gordons.

amck5700 Sat 16-Feb-13 15:03:45

Kerr
Logan
Scott
Neil
Cairn
Alban
Lorne
Ross

What is No1 son called?

amck5700 Sat 16-Feb-13 15:38:20

Bruce
Wallace
Finlay

PurpleStorm Sat 16-Feb-13 15:51:18

amck - not giving DS1's name out, but it would fit in nicely with most of your suggestions smile

amck5700 Sat 16-Feb-13 15:58:24

....but I didn't get it though!

I love Gregor and it was a decision between that and Craig for No1 son. Then it was too much of a mouthful to have it with Craig for No2 son - who is Ciar (Keir)

Struan was another favourite but vetoed.

Short list for eldest ended up as Alec or Walker........then we used neither smile

No2 didn't have a name for a week and half! I wanted Kerr, OH wanted Ciaran - we compromised! Though he did go for a day of being called Cairn till we realised that it sounded like Kay-rin in the local accent. Then we moved!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now