Honest opinions wanted on "football" related boys name!!

(59 Posts)
MamaM22 Mon 11-Feb-13 14:18:45

Hi everyone!

So I've got 10 weeks until I'll be sectioned with yellow bundle no.2. Girl's name is sorted but have absolutely struggled with a boys name that I don't just "like".
While trying to get some imagination or inspiration from OH, I suggested looking at the names of footballing legends of his favourite team (Spurs).

Jurgen (Klinnsman) is out, and then he suggested Ossie (or Ozzie), and I kind of think I love it?! It's definitely a grower and goes well with DS's name and our
surname.

Am I mad? My husband will be seen as a legend amongst his friends for managing to convince me to name our child after a footballing hero!!

Parisbanana Mon 11-Feb-13 14:23:28

Love it ( and I'm a rival team supporter!)
Are you in Spurs area or a fan elsewhere? If the latter I think there's a lot less chance you will be seen as saddling him with a footballer's name iyswim.
It's not like you're wanting to call him Beckham or something that everyone, fan or not, knows.

Coconutty Mon 11-Feb-13 14:24:41

Love it. Nice one Ozzie!

MarianForrester Mon 11-Feb-13 14:26:07

I would not know that's a football name. Might think Ossie Clark, different world!

I really like the name tho smile

My ds is also kind of called after a footballer, but most people wouldn't know.

MamaM22 Mon 11-Feb-13 14:27:34

We're in Northern Ireland, so definitely out of North London territory! Just worried that it's a bit "out there"! I keep telling myself that not giving your child one of the "normal" names will only raise eyebrows for a short period of time before it becomes the norm!

FoofFighter Mon 11-Feb-13 14:29:06

How about Oscar then Ossie (Ozzie) as nn?

MamaM22 Mon 11-Feb-13 14:31:26

I'm not personally keen on Oscar. I think that it's too popular at the minute and DH isn't a fan of nicknames (he was given a name with a handful of different possible nicknames and gets called them all!). If we go with it, it'll be Ossie.

Ozzie is, IMO, daft as a name.

pashapasta Mon 11-Feb-13 14:34:32

Madness. Give the poor child a proper name.

pashapasta Mon 11-Feb-13 14:34:33

Madness. Give the poor child a proper name.

MamaM22 Mon 11-Feb-13 14:35:35

You guys are funny! This is the same forum that was recommending "Clemency" as a name!

Which is a crap real name and not a nickname.

Even Ossie Ardiles wasn't actually named Ossie. He was Osvaldo César Ardiles

bootsycollins Mon 11-Feb-13 14:41:06

Ossie is gorgeous smile

MamaM22 Mon 11-Feb-13 14:41:42

I do know that, but come on, I live in Belfast, Osvaldo isn't gonna fly.....

MustafaCake Mon 11-Feb-13 14:42:43

It's a nickname and just reminds me of Ozzy Osbourne (not a good thing IMHO!)

bootsycollins Mon 11-Feb-13 14:44:41

Yeah I'd go with Ossie, not keen on the full Oswald version. Ossie sounds really cool, a real one off but in a lovely way not a spit your drink out what? kind of way, go for it Mama smile

ladymia Mon 11-Feb-13 14:45:09

I really don't think it's a good idea, sorry

Startail Mon 11-Feb-13 14:46:00

I knew a very nice Ozzie, no idea whether his name is football related as he's about 12.

I have always wondered if he was really Oscar or something as his big brother has a name that could also be a NN.

His mum is nice, but a bit brisk, I never dared ask.

poppydaisy Mon 11-Feb-13 14:48:04

If you dislike Oscar, how about Oswald?

MamaM22 Mon 11-Feb-13 14:48:25

YEAH! Come on Bootsy! You're right!

GaryBuseysTeeth Mon 11-Feb-13 14:49:30

Edward (nn Teddy) would be my 'safe' option if I were a Spurs fan (thankfully I'm not)!
My first thought would be Ozzy Osbourne, but I think it's a nice idea/name.

You could give a girl the name Clemency after Ray Clemence grin

bootsycollins Mon 11-Feb-13 14:50:01

The more I think about it the more I like it actually

MamaM22 Mon 11-Feb-13 14:52:20

I love Teddy, but OH says no. If it's a girl she's gonna be called "Hoddle" (joke).

I would think you're Ozzy Osbourne fans...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now