How popular is Isla...

(67 Posts)
Locketjuice Sun 10-Feb-13 08:01:54

Do you know any? I have always been in love with the name, and just looking through names and I'm shocked to see its so popular according to the polls... hmm

So how many is there really out there? I'm due August... smile

Also from the south if that's any help...

blondieminx Mon 18-Feb-13 08:29:13

I'm in the south and I know 3, all under 2yo.

bamboozled Mon 18-Feb-13 08:26:19

I have a 10 yr old Isla, and we have only met one other..
It's always spelt weirdly by people though!

Locketjuice Mon 18-Feb-13 08:22:13

And I like Isla-may or Isla-rose and his cousin just called her baby lyla-may..... Very very similar!

Locketjuice Mon 18-Feb-13 08:21:16

Thank you everyone, I still love the name but think it is going to be too popular for us sad

Time to rethink.....

Could even be a blue one of course! grin

WinterMymble Sun 17-Feb-13 21:36:19

Beautiful name. I know three Islas under the age if five - I think it is in the top ten names in Scotland on those ONS lists?

penguinplease Sun 17-Feb-13 21:31:54

I know of 7 Islas and I know nearly as many Lolas which seems to be really popular now.

however if you like it use it, I have a really popular name of womens my age and although there were 6 of us in my year once I left school I only met a few..

MidnightMasquerader Sun 17-Feb-13 21:25:45

Eye-la.

mrstowers Sun 17-Feb-13 21:25:17

Very popular here (Midlands), shame because it's a lovely name but I get bored of hearing that yet another baby girl has been called Isla.

thanks, christelle. My friend had an Isla recently and just assumed it was ees-la. You saved me from saying it wrong when I meet the baby... smile

Christelle2207 Sun 17-Feb-13 19:24:34

if it was spanish then you would say it like in spanish however I think most people pronounce it like you were saying "island" in english, minus the "nd".

How do you pronouce it? I always thought it was like 'island' in Spanish, (Ees-la), but someone uptread said 'ayla' and now I'm confused...

Christelle2207 Sat 16-Feb-13 21:23:30

Hey I'm due August too and it's our #1 girl name. Yes popular but I don't care. Just slightly worried (selfishly) that friend/family due before us may nick it.

flowerygirl Sat 16-Feb-13 10:21:14

Beautiful name but so popular! Everytime someone has a baby girl and posts it on facebook it's called Isla...

squoosh Wed 13-Feb-13 13:47:17

Very popular and in my opinion, very frumpy.

FirstTimeForEverything Wed 13-Feb-13 13:02:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheTiger Wed 13-Feb-13 12:02:36

I know 3 - two are 1 year olds and one adult. I'm in the NW.

Sugarkane Wed 13-Feb-13 11:59:01

I have an Isla nearly 5, she is the only one in her nursery but I think if she was younger then there would be more as her name has become very popular. (Central Scotland)

thegreylady Tue 12-Feb-13 20:39:11

I only know one, a teenager, and her sister is Iona.
I love both names.

AyeOopMoose Tue 12-Feb-13 20:15:49

DD1 is Isla. She is the only one in her nursery and they have never had another.

I know it's popular and keep an ear open but haven't heard it locally. (SW)

If you like it, I wouldn't worry about popularity. I was like this before DD1 and for that reason was against the name however it was the only one DH and I agreed on now I'm really glad it's her name. It's beautiful (as is she!).

jollygoose Tue 12-Feb-13 18:44:07

it wouldnt do to marry Mr Mann or Mr White!

Bue Tue 12-Feb-13 15:37:44

Am a student midwife in the East Midlands and it's one of the most common baby names I come across. I expect it's even more popular down where you are.

Whyriskit Mon 11-Feb-13 08:38:23

Lots here in SE Scotland. A friend in Oz (also Scottish) has called his daughter Islay, which is pronounced the same as Islay - the y is silent.

Belmo Mon 11-Feb-13 08:25:36

I've met absolutely loads at toddler groups, it's the only one there's always doublers of (central Scotland) it's a lovely name though.

coldcupoftea Mon 11-Feb-13 08:20:45

I know loads, sorry. Round here every little girl is called Isla, Evie, Sophia or Isabel!

Ragwort Mon 11-Feb-13 08:19:40

I've only heard of one (born last week smile).

But really, if you like it, use it. My DS's name is in the top 5 names but there are none in his social circle, there is one in his class (with an incredibly similar surname grin) but it isn't a problem at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now