Help with boys names

(50 Posts)
Fenouille Sat 09-Feb-13 22:32:30

I'm still in the early stage of my second pg. Don't know what we're having yet. DS has a name I am not crazy about after DH imposed his wishes on me against my better judgement. I've told him that this time I'm choosing the name.

If we havea girl then she will get my all time favourite girl's name which DH vetoed last time.

For a boy I've now gone off the second name we had lined up for DS. I'm pondering on Abel but I wonder if the biblical story should put me off (I'm not religious but it's true that Abel doesn't come out of it very well). I also like Inigo but I think it would give me the same feeling of slight embarrassment that I get when telling people DS's name so i don't want a second child with a name I feel faintly embarrassed about. I also have a soft spot for German names (not totally outrageous as there are family connections with Germany).

So ... what do you all think? Here's a tentative shortlist but other suggestions are also welcome...

Abel
Inigo
Heino
Malte
Sascha

Heeeeeeeelp!

Fenouille Sun 10-Feb-13 19:03:57

Marcus is definitely on the list, I know a couple of German ones and they are all lovely, nice to hear that the English ones are equally pleasant!. That's the only advantage (as far as I can see,) of choosing a name that's a bit 'out there' - no preconceptions!

Point taken about the Malte/malteser connection. I'm more worried about the pronunciation for an Englishman/women though tbh as whatever name you chose, if someone wants to bully you over it they will.

The girls name is absolutely not for discussion wink I love Frances and there's also a family connection so DH (and you lot) will just have to lump it! I'm pretty sure it'll be another boy though so it's rather academic grin

forevergreek Sun 10-Feb-13 19:26:52

Can you not use Frances as a unisex name? Therefore you get to use regardless of sex

Fenouille Sun 10-Feb-13 20:05:08

I don't like Francis for a boy blush Totally irrational, I know. Maybe as a middle name <ponders>

StrawberryMojito Sun 10-Feb-13 20:15:41

Sascha is a great boys name and my favourite from your list. Marcus also good.

StrawberryMojito Sun 10-Feb-13 20:16:33

And I think Frances is lovely too.

SaggyOldClothCatpuss Sun 10-Feb-13 20:21:29

France's is the female version. Francis is the male. Call your child Frances and at some point in the future you will be on the receiving end of a "my friend has called her boy a girls name" thread! grin

Fenouille Sun 10-Feb-13 20:27:17

Ha Saggy, maybe I wasn't clear - Frances for a theoretical daughter, Francis over my dead body for a son.

On that theme though, isn't Sasha a girls name in the UK? I've been away so long I can't remeber blush

Fenouille Sun 10-Feb-13 20:28:17

Thank you Strawbs.

I like Inigo.

Fenouille Sun 10-Feb-13 22:00:58

Remus, don't confuse me! grin

forevergreek Sun 10-Feb-13 22:18:45

Sasha is generally a girls name in the uk. Sacha the more likely spelling if used for a boy or shortened from Alexander

Fenouille Sun 10-Feb-13 22:38:37

And the German version is more usually with an sch in the middle. Thanks for the confirmation though FG - don't know if it's becoming a bit more unisex now? If you heard you were getting a colleague called that I suspect a lot of Brits would still expect a woman to turn up?

rachel234 Mon 11-Feb-13 07:17:07

I see Sasha as a boys name, and the spelling Sacha is French. In Germany it is Sascha.

I think Sasha (Natasha) Obama is making the name more unisex perhaps?

Still prefer it for a boy!

forevergreek Mon 11-Feb-13 07:34:13

Tbh I live in such a multicultural area ( London), that I wouldn't assume any name was either gender.

ATM I know boys, Emelie, Tasha, Eliza

And girls, Henry, thomas, jay jay

I think Sacha/ sasha/ sascha is unisex

Fenouille Mon 11-Feb-13 19:15:06

Hi FG, I know how you feel, after a while you just learn not make any assumptions. But I'm also finding it difficult because of that because I can't tell if my name ideas are too weird for 'normal' people grin

Thanks for the confirmation Rachel - I must admit I thought I'd always seen Sasha as a girls name but I know several Saschas (male) now and that seems more normal iyswim.

OK, it looks like my final shortlist is:
Abel
Sascha
Malte
Rudi
Marcus
Holger

Thanks everyone for all your help - i will now ponder and namechange and then present my findings to DH.

FrauGrau Mon 11-Feb-13 19:35:33

Magnus

marriedinwhite Mon 11-Feb-13 21:11:02

I think Magnus is awesome.

Fenouille Mon 11-Feb-13 21:28:04

Sorry, Magnus is not for me! Too Scandi again I'm afraid, but thanks for the suggestion.

marriedinwhite Mon 11-Feb-13 21:46:11

No worries - names are unique to all of us. I do think it's nice though.

Fenouille Tue 12-Feb-13 05:40:59

It is nice. But Argh, it's all such a responsibility though isn't it?

Mummynotmum Tue 12-Feb-13 06:39:15

Just quickly before you go... Milo or Milton (Milt)?

forgottenpassword Tue 12-Feb-13 07:03:36

Milo.

Fenouille Wed 13-Feb-13 01:03:34

Not sure about either tbh - isn't there a dreadful 'comedy' on r4 by Milton someone or other, that rules out Milton for sure wink Not sure about Milo, I'll maybe park it with Holger on the long list...

wafflingworrier Wed 13-Feb-13 21:58:39

Milo is a very popular chocolate milkshake in Asia, every child drinks it (a bit like nesquick?)
...just so you know
tastes great tho

Fenouille Wed 13-Feb-13 23:21:32

Thanks for the heads up - I remember reading that on here before. Tbh it wouldn't put me off particularly as I've said before, if someone wants to tease they will find a reason anyway hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now