Nicknames for James

(30 Posts)
Lionsntigersnbears Thu 07-Feb-13 21:28:30

We're expecting a DS in June and just had our first run in over names. DH wants to call him James, I'm not keen for various reasons but not least because I can't think of any good nicknames and wouldn't want to use James day to day. I don't like Jim, Jimmy, Jjm-bob, Jem, Jay,Jaime. Can anyone think of any others I've overlooked or is war inevitable grin?

IrnBruTheNoo Sun 10-Feb-13 09:16:11

There's not a lot you can do if the child himself likes the nn Jimmy or Jim or Jimbob though, is there? He may like these names when he's at school. It's not all about you as the parent, it's also about the child and his life too.

determinedma Sat 09-Feb-13 21:39:05

Don't accept a nn if you don't like it.Dn is always James and Ds is always Joseph.

amck5700 Sat 09-Feb-13 21:08:18

I agree with Canratty re the shortening thing. I know an adult James that is always James and there is an Anthony in my son's class (age 11) who is always Anthony and his elder brother is another James who is always James. However, I don't the OP likes James or any of the nns - I think she was looking for a nn she liked as she didn't like the name itself.

rachel234 Sat 09-Feb-13 20:35:16

Op, if you don't want to use James and don't like the obvious nicknames, I think you should continue looking for a name you love! Good luck.

CARNATTY14 Sat 09-Feb-13 19:36:21

I totally disagree that the name will automatically be shortened to Jim or Jimmy.

I find that most names are shortened by the parents [or later by the child itself] so if the child is a James then his friends will call him James.

IrnBruTheNoo Sat 09-Feb-13 15:32:19

Once they're at school, it will be Jim or Jimmy. Not much you can do about it, tbh.

CARNATTY14 Sat 09-Feb-13 14:56:48

Our James is a James. We sometimes refer to him as Jim Bob but no-one will be shortening his name if we can help it.

As someone else says if you don't love the name then maybe you need a rethink?

Berniebennett Sat 09-Feb-13 09:39:58

I wouldn't rush in me and my hubby had the same issue and could not for the love nor money agree on a name (he seriously wanted Hunter or maximus) and everyone said you'll just know when u see him but I still thought we needed a short list but we still didn't and he was born baby Bennett and was that for 1 day while we decided and the name we picked was never a contender, so although u may not like it now it may be perfect when u meet the LO.

Nicknames again I second that they come naturally when here we have Oliver who we thought would easily shortened to ollie
He's main nickname is Buddy? Lol! Or ollie bobs/pops/monster (when he's crying)

Good luck xx

Lionsntigersnbears Sat 09-Feb-13 09:31:48

Jacob could work! I guess it's at least offering a compromise! I like James as a middle name well enough. Thank everyone - gosh this gets fraught doesn't it?!grin

Narked Fri 08-Feb-13 23:56:17

'DH wants James as it is his middle name and his best friend's name so its not a random choice'

Perfect choice for a middle name then.

IrnBruTheNoo Fri 08-Feb-13 18:40:48

wee Jimmy!grin

Mikethemonkey Fri 08-Feb-13 18:36:08

I love James and Jamie not crazy about Jacob but you should not choose a name you really don't like. Pick something you love.

FranglaisMaman Fri 08-Feb-13 16:57:42

I second Jacob, as the original form of James. Or what about Jacques?

IsabelleRinging Fri 08-Feb-13 13:11:58

Can't James be a middle name?

Hamish or seamus are Scottish and Irish forms too

IsabelleRinging Fri 08-Feb-13 13:10:26

Jamie?

amck5700 Fri 08-Feb-13 13:03:46

go for Jacob then and tell him it is the original form of James - job done!

Lionsntigersnbears Fri 08-Feb-13 12:59:50

Thanks all,

It does look like there aren't that many nicknames for James. DH wants James as it is his middle name and his best friend's name so its not a random choice. I was hoping I could come up with a nickname I could live with so that I could go along with his choice. But James isn't a name I like, the majority of James' I've met I've not liked- totally random I know- and the nicknames seem worse to me. DH's stance is 'well alright you pick then' so its either go with James or leave him out of the discussion altogether as far as he's concerned. I'd rather not just say, no absolutely not, but there's no way to find a compromise when he's only interested in one option. Grr!

Jinky!

But seriously if you don't like James, don't call him James, maybe use it as a middle name.

amck5700 Fri 08-Feb-13 09:44:24

oh and another shortening for James is Jas/Jaz.

amck5700 Fri 08-Feb-13 09:43:28

James is derived from Jacob if that helps

then you could have Jake too.

....or call him James Something, then you could simply call him by his initials e.g

James John - JJ
James Ben JB
James Kerr - JK
James Peter - JP

.......I'd maybe stay away from JR or JC grin

lovetoski Thu 07-Feb-13 21:50:50

Ds 13 is always called James at school and by his friends. At home can be any combination of Jamesie, Jiminey or our current favourite half job Jim as he only ever seems to do half of any job asked.

usualsuspect Thu 07-Feb-13 21:44:21

His NN will evolve.

I don't get all this assigning NNs either.

Just call him the name you give him, why call him James then use another name?

FoxyRevenger Thu 07-Feb-13 21:41:34

Well, I don't think the actual name has to inform the nickname - or at least it doesn't for my children.

DD is most often Bear or Sausage Face.

DS is Chewy Bear, Mini Moo or Chips (blame DD)

Nicknames just evolve naturally. I don't get it when people assign a nickname to an unborn child.

Jimbo for our friend

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now