Struggling to come up with a girls' name...please rate these

(19 Posts)
378 Wed 06-Feb-13 14:36:42

Well all the girls' names I love sound too similar to my DS's name, so in the hope of some inspiration I looked at the names I liked from the current top 100 list.

What do you think of these?
I'm worried about choosing a name that will become the equivalent of what Rachel/Karen/ Susan/Laura/Jenny/ etc became in my childhood - nothing wrong with them and I have one of them, just lots and lots so the name itself loses its magic a bit iyswim. But then I don't want anything unusual either - I have one very common and one very unusual firstname/surname so can see the downsides of both types!

Amelia
Jessica
Sophia
Poppy
Isla
Maisie
Holly
Millie
Rosie
Amelie
Zoe
Rose

Or, how bad is it to choose names that are very similar sounding to my other DC?

thegreylady Wed 06-Feb-13 14:42:53

Unusually I love every name on your list!
In order:
Isla
Maisie
Rose/Rosie
Jessica
Amelia/Amelie
Holly
Sophia
Zoe
Poppy
Millie
I also think some similarity to your other dc names is fine.

How about:
Iona
Matilda
Willow
Seren
Erin
Daisy
Annabel

Geranium3 Wed 06-Feb-13 14:51:49

TBH if you are trying to avoid the equivalent of susan, karen etc, you won't with your list of names, every 1 of them suggests the early 21st century
can you tell us the names that you really like and your ds name and maybe we can help!

378 Wed 06-Feb-13 15:11:46

I love Imogen and Jemima but I have a Benjamin...

Gwennan Wed 06-Feb-13 15:18:46

Your list is fine - all nice names.

But not one of them solves your problem since they are all names that will become the equivalent of what Rachel/Karen/ Susan/Laura/Jenny/ etc became in my childhood.

I'd particularly avoid Amelia, Poppy, Isla, Maisie, Millie, Rosie and Amelie (as nice as they are).

Jessica, Sophia, Holly, Zoe and Rose are more timeless and not just popular in the late 2000s/early 2010s; they'd be better picks.

Broadly speaking, avoid the most popular names if you want to avoid a name that's going to be tied to a particular era.

BabyRoger Wed 06-Feb-13 15:22:30

I think Holly and Zoe are more 'timeless'

I think the others on your list (although nice) are extremely popular (and it seems you want to avoid that).

I'm with Gwennan. Try looking at top 500?

SanityClause Wed 06-Feb-13 15:26:55

They're all very popular, ATM.

I'd go with Rachel, Karen, Susan, Laura, or Jenny if you want to avoid there being more than one in the class at school. wink

Gwennan Wed 06-Feb-13 15:34:54

For what it's worth, I think the following names tick your boxes: Adelaide, Adeline, Alba, Alexandra, Alice, Anna, Anne, Annie, Antonia, Arabella, Audrey, Augusta, Camilla, Carolina, Caroline, Catalina, Catherine, Cecilia, Cecily, Celestia, Celia, Charlotte, Clara, Constance, Dahlia, Dinah, Edith, Eliza, Elizabeth, Emily, Emma, Emmeline, Esther, Felicity, Flora, Frances, Francesca, Frieda, Gabriella, Gabrielle, Genevieve, Georgia, Gloria, Greta, Harriet, Hazel, Helen, Helena, Henrietta, Honor, Iris, Isadora, Jane, Jemima, Julia, Juliet, Josephine, Leonora, Louisa, Lucia, Lucy, Mabel, Margaret, Maria, Marianne, Mariana, Marina, Mirabel, Miriam, Nancy, Naomi, Nina, Pearl, Polly, Rachel, Rebecca, Ruth, Rosalind, Rosemary, Sarah, Serena, Stella, Susannah, Tessa, Theodora, Theresa, Violet, Willa.

Geranium3 Wed 06-Feb-13 16:17:46

OP, i can see why imogen may be too similar to benjamin but if you like jemima, that sounds fine with ds's name

Mikethemonkey Wed 06-Feb-13 17:12:43

Holly,rose,Sophie Zoe in that order all lovely and although popular less likely to date than the others on list which I feel are very now.

DessieLou Wed 06-Feb-13 19:33:22

Imogen is a definite no but Benjamin & Jemima sounds fine. A cute combo I say.

cavell Wed 06-Feb-13 20:51:20

Gemma is similar sounding to Jemima but a bit less "of the moment".
Lokking at the long list above, what about Julia, Juliet or Josephine? Or Emily, Emma, Hannah or Lucy?

raisah Thu 07-Feb-13 20:56:14

Rosa instead of Rose/Rosie
Eloise
Louisa
Catherine
Christina
Anya
Jeanne (French pronounced as Jahnne with soft j)
Rebecca
Anna
Carolyn
Clara
Sylvia
Victoria
Violet
Bit of a mix of names heard known through my social circles but not common. I only know 1 of each as opposed to 6 Amelia's in nursery.

JumpingJackSprat Thu 07-Feb-13 22:32:29

zoe, holly and rose are the only ones on your list that i think are timeless. i met a 2 year old zoe recently and she was gorgeous, such a sweet name on a little girl.

ZZZenAgain Thu 07-Feb-13 22:38:54

From that list I like Holly

SoggySummer Thu 07-Feb-13 22:49:33

Jemima is lovely and goes great with Benjamin and not too samey at all.

telsa Fri 08-Feb-13 10:08:13

Jemima and Benjamin are not samey at all.

TenthMuse Fri 08-Feb-13 18:29:40

I'm a Zoe and really like my name! It's fairly common (but not overly so) in my age group (30s) but I'm still coming across little Zoes nowadays, so it seems to have staying power. Also like Rose and Sophia from your list. Most of the rest are very 'now' I think and might date.

Some other names that are well-known but not too 'trendy':
Eliza
Elsa
Tess
Alicia
Phoebe
Harriet
Kitty
Anna
Nina

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now