Would it be cruel?

(41 Posts)
CabbageLooking Tue 05-Feb-13 20:11:25

I'm not actually pregnant yet so this is all a bit pie in the sky at the moment but we're TTC and I suddenly had the perfect name flash into my head if we were to have another boy. It is, I'll be the first to admit, a name which can be construed as a bit posh while myself and DH are anything but (16yr old Ford Fiesta, 1970s 3 bed semi in Wiltshire). And yet somehow it just sounds perfect. So, would it be cruel to call a boy who is going to go to a bog standard comprehensive and, if he takes after either myself or DH will not have the skills or strength to fend off bullies........

Hugo?

Brother of Thomas, 3 syllable surname beginning with B.

Be honest. I love love love it.

I love it smile

CabbageLooking Tue 05-Feb-13 20:16:18

Hurray! That's one vote! smile

Minty82 Tue 05-Feb-13 20:19:38

My cousin's a Hugo and is at a bog-standard comp. Think he's had the odd comment but not enough to bother him.

If DD was a boy she would have been a Hugo or a Milo smile

CabbageLooking Tue 05-Feb-13 20:35:20

Do you think Hugo Boss makes it cool?

DaveMccave Tue 05-Feb-13 20:43:07

The day after I found out I was pregnant, dd 5 asked me for a brother called Hugo. I text Dp who loved it and it was our potential boy name! Since then I've heard it on several young babies and learned it was a really fast riser last year in name stats. I'll admit it's put me off, it might be a plus for you though if you dont mind popular, as I doubt it will sound too posh if it becomes really popular? Think we're going to use it as a middle name. I think that kids film Hugo may have done it?

Is your surname

Boss grin

Seminyak Tue 05-Feb-13 20:57:03

No Hugo is amazing and my top boy name smile love it! I don't think it's that posh, I find Hugh posher myself.

CabbageLooking Tue 05-Feb-13 20:59:37

MakeItUp No it's not but I could always change it grin

MarilynValentine Tue 05-Feb-13 21:01:22

I know a very cute little Hugo.

Do it! smile

grin It's quite funny now as my boss in one of my first jobs was a Hugo and when your 14 and immature you think it's hilarious maybe just me

CruCru Tue 05-Feb-13 21:15:35

I love Hugo.

pictish Tue 05-Feb-13 21:21:42

I don't like it, simply for the fact that the name Hugo is always used in parodies of woolly, cluless middle class, liberal parents and their satanic offspring.
"Hugo darling...don't do that."
It's always Hugo!

Anyhoo - if you like it go for it. My eldest is called Oscar which is almost as bad as Hugo for similar reasons, yet has now slid into Chav territory. Can't see Hugo going that way...so go for it.

BookWormery Tue 05-Feb-13 21:21:56

Like it smile

Rhubarbgarden Tue 05-Feb-13 21:27:57

I like it.

Yay4may Tue 05-Feb-13 21:33:37

Love it
V popular in Londontown.....

sammie74 Wed 06-Feb-13 18:32:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gugglebum Wed 06-Feb-13 19:39:23

I love it, and would use it in a heartbeat if I did not have an odd one syllable surname also starting with H.

I suggested Hugo for DS2 as I love it but DH vetoed it.

TeWiSavesTheDay Wed 06-Feb-13 19:55:10

My friend has a Hugo.

I will admit it's not my favourite name on here, but it suits this DC so much and I think it will be one of those growing in popularity names.

Wishiwasanheiress Wed 06-Feb-13 19:58:32

Hugo no probs. Know several. All like to be known as "huge"... I agree, lovely name.

almostanotherday Wed 06-Feb-13 20:03:34

Hugo is fine smile

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 06-Feb-13 23:57:49

I know a Hugo, he carries it off well, why follow the herd if you want something that is still uncommon?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now