What is wrong with 'Freya'?

(60 Posts)
craigslittleangel Tue 05-Feb-13 00:28:31

I'm pregnant with DD 2 and although I had a name for my first, in the end she didn't suit it and her dad named her. I love the name and the reason for its choice (named after a character in mythology and a painting), but discovered after her registration that it was in the top 10 for that year. Not normally a problem, untill she started nursery and there were 3 others there. (Although all spelt differently).

So, with DD2 I am determined to get something not so much 'of its time'.

The other day I heard someone call 'Freya' and thought it was lovely. It's stayed with me and has beaten my other option Elanor. However, it seems its very popular at the moment..... People are even being derisive about it.

So, tell me whats wrong with it? Don't worry, I'm not stuck on it for life or anything like that, I would just like to understand why some people don't like it.

monica77798 Tue 05-Feb-13 11:06:27

How will Lisa and Michelle date? I would have thought they are fairly timeless names, and I certainly don't think either are dated. Nothing wrong with Freya, go for it if you like it!

Lostonthemoors Tue 05-Feb-13 11:07:02

Much prefer:

Eleanor
Elinor
Ellen
Helena

I don't like Freya personally - don't like the way it sounds and think it's faddy. But if you love it you should use it - what does it matter what we think.

Chocaholics Tue 05-Feb-13 11:10:20

I like Freya, think it is a lovely name and actually only know one child called Freya so isn't very popular where I live. Eleanor/Ellie/Nell are very popular here though!

aufaniae Tue 05-Feb-13 11:11:14

DP really wanted Freya for DC1 (who turned out to be a DS!).

I wasn't keen as it seemed to be becoming really popular. Depends if that matters to you really.

amck5700 Tue 05-Feb-13 11:47:54

I know a Freija rather than Freya. What is you other daughter called? I like Eleanor better.

tbh - I am not really sure if I like Freya or not and I am not sure why.

amck5700 Tue 05-Feb-13 11:51:11

You could go for a classic that whilst it wont be unused, it wont date.

Maybe something like:

Anna
Laura
Jennifer/Jenny
Katherine
Susanna
Gabrielle
Louise

Sashapineapple Tue 05-Feb-13 13:16:28

I don't like Freya, it's just so boring and overused like Amelia, Ellie and Olivia. I also think those names are going to date pretty quickly.

Mosman Tue 05-Feb-13 13:53:56

How rude shock

Shybairns Tue 05-Feb-13 14:58:11

I love Freya. And what's wrong with being middle class?
Its a beautiful name. For some reason I associate it with blonde haired girls/women?!

AyeOopMoose Tue 05-Feb-13 15:12:53

This thread has made me laugh.

It conjures up for me a certain type of person who would call their child that

What type of person? I'd love to know if I fit that stereotype grin

As for it being of the time....well yes, we are of that time and the girl who is named at that time was born then!

Before I had DC I had several very unusual names that I loved but with each DC I've actually gone for names that are in the Top 20. Not intentional but just liked the sound of the names. I'm glad that I haven't burdened them with a name that gets raised eyebrows.

Just go for a name that you like. Your DD will grow into it.

Yay4may Tue 05-Feb-13 15:23:11

I'd like to hear what that 'certain type of person' is as well. I too don't get the distaste for Freya beyond the popularity problem.

what about Frida? I love Elinor or Elinora

atthewelles Tue 05-Feb-13 16:42:00

I like it but if you're after something 'not so much of its time' I'm not sure its the best choice. It does seem to have grown in popularity in the last few years.
To me, timeless names would be names like Catherine, Helen, Elizabeth, Jane, Jennifer, or Clare. Never particularly in or out of fashion but always a few around.
Otherwise, as a couple of posters have suggested, you're going to have to go back a bit in time but not back far enough to hit the current 'old lady' trend.

Viviennemary Tue 05-Feb-13 19:04:28

Ignore me! I don't even know anybody called Freya. Or who has a child called Freya. But it conjures up a middle class, 4 x 4 driver, always made-up to the nines and wears Boden. I'm probably way out. grin

Coconutty Tue 05-Feb-13 19:12:35

I think it's a very fugly sounding name. I think its the hard F sound. I've never met a nice one either, which doesn't help.

AngelaCatalano Tue 05-Feb-13 19:42:01

I know loads of under fours and have only ever met one Freya. Guess it's just not that popular around here.

I quite like it, but prefer Freida or Frances FWIW.

CityDweller Tue 05-Feb-13 19:51:20

There's nothing 'wrong' with Freya, but I'm pesonally not a fan of it. a) a brand of underwear, b) sounds like a wimpy, whiny girly-girl's name. But, that's just me. And names are highly personal things. If you love it, go for it.

craigslittleangel Tue 05-Feb-13 20:00:57

I'm not the least upset with the opinions. As has been said, I did ask. None of the comments have put me off the name, I was just interested in opinion.

I seriously do not know any child with the name, but it seems to get a lot of comments. I'm beginning to feel its like marmite.

I don't drive a 4x4, but I am beginning to see your point. Although, I think my first DD's name might conjour that image up wink

craigslittleangel Tue 05-Feb-13 20:02:07

Oh, and thanks to my OH insisting we go with the Italian spelling of my first DD's name, I am happy to go with the very traditional spellings of any names I chose!

Minty82 Tue 05-Feb-13 20:13:33

I've never met anyone called Freya, and the only one I've even heard of was an old colleague's teenage daughter who must be about 20 by now, so it doesn't seem faddy to me. I think it's pretty and inoffensive - I don't adore it but it's a perfectly nice name.

kerala Tue 05-Feb-13 20:30:52

Its just not an attractive sound to me. Its popular too and coloured by the fact that the ones i know are all pretty awful. Sorry.

Prefer Frieda (as in Kahlo) but again I know an adorable one with a lovely arty hippy mother so utterly biased opinion.

Calmisthemantra Tue 05-Feb-13 20:30:54

My dd is called Freya, she's almost 1. DH and I can across the name when watching the tv series 'Any human heart' with Jim Broadbent about 3 years ago. We always said if we had a girl that would be her name. Never knew another Freya until after she was born and now they're everywherehmm

Also being a teacher i'd never taught one. Now pregnant again and in a name quandary.

Tranquilitybaby Tue 12-Feb-13 22:35:20

I really like the sound of the name Freya but not so keen on the way it reads iyswim.

echidnakid Tue 12-Feb-13 23:23:04

There is nothing wrong with it whatsoever. Nice, classic name and not "of its time" in my opinion. Ignore all the class stereotyping too.

Skyebluesapphire Tue 12-Feb-13 23:29:04

Friend's DD is called Freya, she is about 10yo, dark haired. friend is a single mother, works in admin, drives an old banger.

nurseneedshelp Tue 12-Feb-13 23:39:02

Love it! I dont know anyone with that name????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now