Theodora/Thea or Cordelia

(24 Posts)
ChopinAndChopSticks Sat 02-Feb-13 19:33:45

Hubby and I are stuck between these two names first of all with Theodora we are not sure if we should just go with Thea or put Theodora on the birth cert and call her Thea day to day? We both also love Cordelia but have not got good reactions to it from family. I am also slightly worried that it may look like we are copying Robbie Williams.So which would you pick and why?

I adore Cordelia and don't much like the other one at all (don't like th sounds in names, sounds dry and dusty to me). I think Cordelia is delicate yet solid at the same time, very pretty but not frilly, it's not a faddy name and seems quite timeless.

congrats smile

Rhubarbgarden Sat 02-Feb-13 20:43:35

Thea. It's beautiful. The others are too long and fussy for me personally.

SoggySummer Sat 02-Feb-13 21:16:29

Both lovely.

I would have said Theodora but would be concerned like you there may be a rush of them since Robbie which would probably make me opt for Cordelia.

That said I prefer the shortening Thea to any shortenings of Cordelia.

ChopinAndChopSticks Sun 03-Feb-13 11:24:49

SoggySummer yeah I agree with regard to preferring Thea to any shortenings of Cordelia.

piprabbit Sun 03-Feb-13 11:28:01

Thea is a name in it's own right and much nicer than Cordelia or Theodora

ChopinAndChopSticks Mon 04-Feb-13 12:21:41

My worry about picking just Thea is that people would put it in the same category as Mia.....which is fine but common iykwim

lockets Mon 04-Feb-13 13:54:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YeahBuddy Mon 04-Feb-13 13:59:15

I like Thea it's very pretty. My friend has a DD called Cordelia and they call her Cordy which I really really don't like. Potential nicknames are important I think when choosing a name.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 04-Feb-13 13:59:48

I actually think of Teddy as well as Thea when I see Theodora but the longer the given name, the more chances for her to choose a diminutive for herself later on.

Cordelia is perhaps less popular, I like it but think you are leaning to Thea!

Have you checked initials, nothing to put you off either name with your surname? It wouldn't bother me if people said ooh, did you pick it because of Robbie W's DD, there's bound to be someone well known who has the same taste you do.

ChopinAndChopSticks Mon 04-Feb-13 14:34:40

I have actually never met a Thea so I guess it's a good indication. I was just worried that people may see it as 6 of one half dozen of the other...as in they are practically the same name....I don think that but just worried that other people would. I think I am leaning towards Thea, even though I do love Cordelia but the nn are not so good!

shoobidoo Mon 04-Feb-13 14:38:40

Cordelia - classic, beautiful and underused!

forevergreek Tue 05-Feb-13 13:24:15

I know a Ophelia who's nickname is thea.

Theas18 Tue 05-Feb-13 13:27:15

However do you get Thea as nickname for Ophelia?

Thea is clearly the best name ever, though I may be biassed....

piprabbit Tue 05-Feb-13 13:27:24

I'm not sure they are 'practically the same name' at all. It's a bit like saying the Milly and Lily are practically the same name, or Holly and Polly.

poppydaisy Tue 05-Feb-13 13:28:58

Cordelia is gorgeous, as is Ophelia!

ChopinAndChopSticks Tue 05-Feb-13 14:23:31

Theas18 do you have a Thea does she like her name?

AyeOopMoose Tue 05-Feb-13 15:15:47

Prefer Cordelia but don't really like any of the shortenings of it.

Thea is pretty and have only come across 1.

What about Miranda? I almost called DD1, then DD2 this but had last minute changes and DH says no more and I', longing for someone to use it

Or Thalia?

Theas18 Tue 05-Feb-13 17:47:57

pmd Chopin!

mrstowers Tue 05-Feb-13 18:07:41

I know of 4 Thea's. We have a Cordelia in our family nn Cora which I really like.

lockets Tue 05-Feb-13 19:28:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Floralnomad Tue 05-Feb-13 19:31:19

I know a Thea , she's in her 20s and her proper name is Dorothea . Don't much like Cordelia ,how about Cressida ?

specialknickers Tue 05-Feb-13 19:31:53

I love Cordelia, might have to knick it myself OP! I'd shorten to Delia, which is almost even nicer.

mimmymouse Tue 05-Feb-13 19:50:08

Love them both - and both on our list for both our DDs. Personally, I would always go for the longer, "full" option. More options then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now