Do you think Alex is a male or female?

(32 Posts)
emjan Fri 01-Feb-13 23:32:29

If you see a name (without knowing the person) Alex on the newspaper or internet, do you think the person is a male or female?

It seems like there is not much girls with the full legal name as "Alex"?, most girls called Alex are their nicknames from Alexandra...

OscarPistoriusBitontheside Sun 03-Feb-13 10:39:22

I know four female Alexandra's they abbreviate to Alex/Lexy/sandy/Andra.

I have known more female Alexes in my life than male ones, so I would assume female. DD2 is Alexandra, we call her Allie. I would have preferred Alex but DH's choice was Allie and that's what stuck. There are two male Alexes in her class, so I guess it's good she has a different nickname.

cyclecamper Sun 03-Feb-13 11:23:13

I know of both male and females called Alex. I think it's good to have names that mean people can't guess.

emjan Sun 03-Feb-13 11:30:15

AnnieLobeseder, cyclecamper, are all the female Alex that you know official legal name written as Alex?

I really wonder if there are females with the name Alex as the legal name in birth certificate. Alex sounds so masculine

I don't know anyone with the legal name Alex. They've all been short for Alexandra or Alexander.

As as aside, I am somewhat narked that the spell check on my computer recognises Alexander but has drawn a fat red line under Alexandra! hmm

LindaMcCartneySausage Sun 03-Feb-13 12:22:58

Alex is usually male in England, but I'm Scottish and always feel that Alex is a girls name and it's Alec for boys, which along with Sandy as another short form of Alexander, is common where I'm from.

TheCatIsEatingIt Sun 03-Feb-13 22:22:37

I know several Alexes, male and female, all short for Alexander/Alexandra, so my instinctive reaction would be to try and check if it was a male or female.

Someone suggested Alexis - IT'S A BOY'S NAME!!!! You might as well call your daughter Dave! AlexiA/Alexa is the girl's version, and very pretty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now