Do you think Alex is a male or female?

(32 Posts)
emjan Fri 01-Feb-13 23:32:29

If you see a name (without knowing the person) Alex on the newspaper or internet, do you think the person is a male or female?

It seems like there is not much girls with the full legal name as "Alex"?, most girls called Alex are their nicknames from Alexandra...

ladymia Fri 01-Feb-13 23:42:42

I would instantly assume male

5madthings Fri 01-Feb-13 23:46:28

Either its unisex so I wouldn't assume what sex theory were.

5madthings Fri 01-Feb-13 23:46:46

They were not theory..

I'd assume either as there is an Alex of each gender in my DS' class and I have to ask him for surnames to ascertain which one he is talking about.

I love both Alexander and Alexandra as names.

luckybun Fri 01-Feb-13 23:50:04

I find wierdly people always assume male! But I'm working in quite a make dominated industry so perhaps that's why

SoggySummer Sat 02-Feb-13 00:20:23

I would assume male.

The few Alexandra/Alexandrias I know (from babies to 70yo) Only one is an Alex. Lexie and Lexa/Lexia are what they tend to abbreviate to.

Clary Sat 02-Feb-13 00:22:36

Alex is ususally a boy. Most of the Alexes I know who are girls go by Lexie/Lexy/Lexey.

onedev Sat 02-Feb-13 00:27:03

Assume male smile

Sasparillo Sat 02-Feb-13 00:44:57

If I was to see Alex written down, I would immediately think it was revering to a boy, I really don't line Alex for a girls name xx

fossil971 Sat 02-Feb-13 00:57:07

I have a name (well a nn technically) which is not obvious as to gender in a similar way but do you know, it's not a problem. The world is full of people of both genders called Chris, Jo, Sam, Charlie etc. I can't think of any situation where it would cause a problem. Go for it if you like it.

I'm not very fond of shortened names as official names though - I'd go for Alexandra/Alexis and call her Alex for short, gives her a choice when she's older.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 02-Feb-13 03:52:18

I'd probably assume male. I'd guess male, if asked to, just because there are so many more Alexanders than Alexandras it must be statistically more likely to be a boy than a girl.

AGreenie Sat 02-Feb-13 05:07:48

I'm an Alexandra - I know 3 including me! All abbreviate - One is Alex, one is Allie and another is Ali. I wouldn't automatically assume Alex is male, but lots if people do ...

mathanxiety Sat 02-Feb-13 06:00:08

Alex - male

Allie - female
Ally - female
Alli - female
etc

Alix - female

ProphetOfDoom Sat 02-Feb-13 07:00:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fishandjam Sat 02-Feb-13 07:08:56

Male. But I once knew an Alexe (female) so if it was spelled like that I'd assume female, just on past experience.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 02-Feb-13 14:21:29

I would assume male on paper.

AuntieStella Sat 02-Feb-13 14:26:43

I see it as a genuinely unisex nn.

Amongst the adults I know, there are roughly equal numbers of male/female. But amongst DC's friends, they are all boys.

ladymia Sat 02-Feb-13 14:37:41

It is a unisex nn but if something was written in a paper / on a CV for instance people would usually use their full names so if I saw Alex in the paper I would think male because I have never known a female Alex that has Alex as a full name and not just a nickname.

GraceSpeaker Sat 02-Feb-13 15:03:55

I'd assume male, because I meet more Alexanders than Alexandras.

BangOn Sun 03-Feb-13 07:59:22

This is a name which was unisex through the 70s & 80s, went quiet for a while, became 'male' predominantly in the 00s, but is now becoming unisex again (see how Alexandra moved swiftly up the polls between 2011-12.)

I can think of 2 female children & 1 male that i know of called Alex at present. (one of the girls being an Alexandra on bc)

I can think of one of each in terms of grownups.

echidnakid Sun 03-Feb-13 10:07:45

I would assume male without anything else to go on.

Jbck Sun 03-Feb-13 10:13:06

My Alex is short for her full name but a friends daughter is just Alex. They are the only two that I know personally. I wouldnt necessarily assume anything unless it was pertinent to the situation.

TiggerWearsATriteSmile Sun 03-Feb-13 10:25:58

Alex to me is male.

I know one Alexandrea and she uses the NN Andrea

DeDevilTail Sun 03-Feb-13 10:35:59

Despite having an Alexandra myself (known as Sasha) and the only Alex I know being female, I would assume male.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now