Girl's Names....narrowed down to four...what do you think?

(79 Posts)
Stateofgrace Fri 01-Feb-13 19:53:56

Hiya, first post... am due April and we are (finally) having a girl - 3 years and 8 months of trying later.... smile

I suppose we tend to favour more vintagey names than anything too trendy, although I love pretty, girly names. Popularity isn't much of an issue as we live in the Channel Islands and the name trends seem to be somewhat different here...Opinions on the following would be great:

Isobel Alice
Matilda Lucy
Elowen May
Polly Jane

Our surname is one syllable, begins with G and is the colour of concrete smile

Thanks in advance!

RicStar Fri 01-Feb-13 21:40:46

I used to love Isobel but there are sooo many Isabella's (blame twilight) love love Elowen maybe with another middle??? But actually i like rhyming (my dh vetoed a triple ryhme) blush ps much congrats

wigglesrock Fri 01-Feb-13 21:49:30

I like Isobel the best - probably Isobel Alice actually.

Many, many congratulations I know what its like to take years to conceive, but as an aside I now have 3 daughters. The first one took 6 years to come along, then a bit like buses ....... grin

Oh and if you're not that worried about popularity I have a Sofia - its a really lovely name as are my other two daughters names grin

toffeelolly Fri 01-Feb-13 21:53:42

Love polly jane

lottiegarbanzo Fri 01-Feb-13 22:32:57

Actually, Isobel Otis sounds brilliant!

Rhubarbgarden Fri 01-Feb-13 22:36:08

I like Polly and Elowen. I'm so bored of all the Isobels and Matildas it really takes away the appeal of the names.

If you like Otis, how about Ottilie?

jellybeans Fri 01-Feb-13 22:49:04

Matilda Lucy

vacuuming Fri 01-Feb-13 22:53:54

I've never heard Elowen before, I love it! What does it mean?

Sasparillo Fri 01-Feb-13 23:04:04

I really don't like isobel, no offense! Love Polly. I've known 2 Polly's in my life & they've have both been really lovely girls x

CarriMarie Fri 01-Feb-13 23:43:29

Matilda Alice would be my first choice.

bringmeroses Fri 01-Feb-13 23:48:47

Olivia May.

OMG!

Maybe not.

Polly Jane is awesome!

mathanxiety Sat 02-Feb-13 06:09:53

Matilda Lucy [Concrete] has a really nice flow to it imo.

Isobel is a lovely name but really popular.
Elowen is also beautiful but you would need to rethink the middle name.
Elowen Alice?

Polly reminds me of an old music hall song from the Boer War days that my dad used to hum occaionally -- substitute Dolly for Polly [Concrete]. Quite sad. Plus the sad fate of poor Lady Jane [Concrete]

Allalonenow Sat 02-Feb-13 06:51:59

Matilda Lucy is perfect.

ProphetOfDoom Sat 02-Feb-13 06:57:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pigletpower Sat 02-Feb-13 10:12:34

Do you like PJ Harvey? If so Polly Jean is fabulous! Strong woman.

Stateofgrace Sat 02-Feb-13 10:42:18

Morning guys, thanks for all the replies.

In answer to some of the posters:

Elowen is a cornish name meaning Elm tree, it doesn't have any particular significance for us, other than we love the sound of it.

Jane is in the innings because it is dmum's name. I like the simpleness of it.
Alice is my twin sister who sadly died aged three (dmum and ddad know I love the name and they think honouring it is a positive, rather than odd).
May is dh's Gran (he and his mum dont talk and she now lives in America. Conversely, she is a Beatrice, another name I love, but out of bounds now, obviously).

To the person who said OMG initials - G is a very hard name to work with, when you favour vowel middle names!! - we toyed with Polly Isobel before we realised.... oh and don't get me started on the Florence Alice debacle... smile

Stateofgrace Sat 02-Feb-13 10:43:04

PS Thanks for all the congrats and esp to the poster who now has three girls! Maybe I will get to use all my names! And possibly my vetoed Florence.... lol

smother Sat 02-Feb-13 11:37:57

Many congratulations! They are all lovely names. There are many many Isobels and variants around, so has lost some of its shine for me. Matilda is also becoming quite popular, and again, lots of Tilly's, Lily's, Milly's etc.

Elowen is gorgeous!! really pretty but not toooo girly.

Alice is a perfect middle name!

smother Sat 02-Feb-13 11:38:40

Polly Jane's great too - isn't that PJ Harvey's name?

Love Isobel Alice.

Wouldn't go for Polly Jane a) because Polly sounds like a nn and b) because of PJ Harvey.

Leafmould Sat 02-Feb-13 19:56:36

Like elowen

Not the May one. Polly is pretty, the other 2 are common, in that there are a lot of them rather than chavvy.

You don't have to decide at all you know! We had lots more than 4 on our girl's shortlist. When she was born, it was obvious which one to use. (Lydia Rose). The same with my little boy too! Congratulations!!

DancingInTheMoonlight Sat 02-Feb-13 20:18:59

Elowen Alice would be my choice :-)

crazykittens Mon 04-Feb-13 01:19:04

I like Matilda Jane or Isobel Jane. I think they flow nicely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now