Agatha, Melanie, Sebastian

(29 Posts)
RainbowBabyMum Fri 01-Feb-13 09:42:45

Hi
I'm from Russia, but live in England, so I mb can't understand what the perceptions of names would be.
Could you help me please?
What do you think about:

Agatha
Melanie
Sebastian (for boy)

lottiegarbanzo Fri 01-Feb-13 21:52:24

I think Agatha is a great choice, nice granny chic but not popular.

Melanie seems very dated in a less good way. It was popular in the 60s and 70s (goes with Debbie, Jackie, Joanne and Louise). I don't think it ever had been before, so it exclusive to 35-55yo women now. Makes me think of melons. Melody I nicer I think.

Porkster Sat 02-Feb-13 00:08:19

Russian names look so much nicer.

I would avoid Melanie at all costs; it's a 'Sharon' type bame which was awful I the 70s and is even worse now.

mathanxiety Sat 02-Feb-13 05:58:01

I would avoid Melanie. It's a name I associate with the Spice Girls.

Agatha is beautiful imo, but I don't like Sebastian. Both names would say Educated Middle Class to me.

In your position, I would really go ahead and choose whatever Russian name I liked, a name with a positive association for you, one that has a significance for you, and not worry about appearing 'too' Russian. You are going to be seen as Russian whether your family has Russian names or more English ones. Don't try to please everyone -- it's impossible. Please yourselves. Go with what you love.

Rhubarbgarden Sat 02-Feb-13 08:26:13

I love Russian names. One of my all time favourites is Ludmila, I'd have loved an excuse to use it but no Russian connection here.

Agatha is lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now