ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Old lady names

(88 Posts)
Gimmeechocolate Thu 31-Jan-13 11:50:08

I really love old lady names and already have 2 DDs with old names.

I have fallen in love with the name Ethel. Everybody I know hates it and laughs at it.

I guess what I am asking is what are your associations with it as a name other than 'old lady'?

I know a 14 year old Ethel, I was really surprised when I found out her siblings names as they are all what you would expect for children of their ages - Maddie, Jack and Tilly (Matilda). I have grown to like it on her but still sounds odd for a baby - but they are not babies for long are they?

(Fat lot of help I am hey?)

Sashapineapple Thu 31-Jan-13 22:31:20

Reminds me Ethel in Eastenders.

Sorry but I think it's an awful name to saddle a kid with, can you imagine when she's 14 with her mates or out clubbing when she's in her 20's. Seems a bit cruel tbh.

amck5700 Thu 31-Jan-13 22:46:27

Jemima
Lillian
Patsy
Wilhelmina (Willa)
Geraldine

amck5700 Thu 31-Jan-13 22:53:34

Beatrice (Beattie)
Ursula
Celia
Frances
Prudence
Harriet

MidnightMasquerader Fri 01-Feb-13 00:01:36

I also think of Just William's glamourous older sister when I hear the name Ethel, too. A pretty red-head aged somewhere between 17 and 21 who had the local youths falling at her feet.

I actually don't think it's a bad name and I'm starting to hear it more and more. I think you might be ahead of the curve on this one.

I was given a desperately old-fashioned, old lady name in the 70s, which everyone else was positively eschewing. It's Isobel.

Ethel will have its time again. smile

FlipFlopFloss Fri 01-Feb-13 00:23:31

Flora
Miriam
Clotilde
Beulah
Clementine
Daphne
Elenora
Meredith
Phillippa
Susan
Mary

echidnakid Fri 01-Feb-13 04:08:05

I love old lady names (and have an Agatha to prove it!) but I can't get into Ethel, sorry. It's just a bridge too far somehow.

How about:

Pearl
Ada
Winifred
Elsa

MidnightMasquerader Fri 01-Feb-13 06:23:10

On God, Pearl... grin

It's so subjective, naming people, isn't it? I wouldn't thank you for calling me Pearl. Ethel is far preferable IMO.

Elsa is nice.

Or what about Roberta? Bobbie for short.

amazingmumof6 Fri 01-Feb-13 12:28:04

have it as a second name, but baby Ethel... <shivers> sorry, no

love Esther or Edith, Esme, Elsie are nice too

singaporeswing Fri 01-Feb-13 12:37:44

I adore Verity with the nn Ettie, but too similar to Hetty.

My new favourite is Vera. My great-aunt's name, so reminds me of a fabulous woman.

WinkyWinkola Fri 01-Feb-13 13:22:31

Gwendoline
Enid
Vera
Eunice
Bertha
Evelyn
Morag
Delores
Daphne
Agnes
Doris
Judith

rainbow2000 Fri 01-Feb-13 13:37:35

Dont like Ethal to harsh sounding.Love Millicent great name and would go great with your other kids names.Hetty is fabulous

SoggySummer Fri 01-Feb-13 19:41:20

Nancy?

MerlotAndMe Fri 01-Feb-13 19:46:45

I worked in a nursing home and all of the names except a few are back. Nancy, Mary, Norah, Greta..

So now 'old lady names' for me would have to be people in their 70s, not late 80s.

Zappo Fri 01-Feb-13 19:49:20

Don't know if it's been suggested- Dorothy nn Dottiw. Has the same 'th' sound to it

Zappo Fri 01-Feb-13 19:49:38

nn Dot or Dottie

TheFantasticFixit Fri 01-Feb-13 19:56:15

Our dd is Bess Violet - I absolutely adore 'old' names and we get so many comments about how nice her name is

armagh Fri 01-Feb-13 19:58:25

Clemency ?
Think Gladys, Rita, and Dolores are a step too far.
What about Eithne ( pronounced Eth na)?
Love Elsie too. Actually Ethel not too bad- sounds nicer than it looks.

blushingm Sat 02-Feb-13 18:21:51

Agnes?

VerySmallSqueak Sat 02-Feb-13 18:37:10

How about the regal names that have stood the test of time - Victoria,Elizabeth etc?

alanyoung Sat 02-Feb-13 19:51:07

Careful what you say, naughtynaughtynamechange. I had an aunty named Ethel and she was my favourite aunt. I can remember her teaching me how to cross the road using traffic lights in about 1953 when I was six years old.

She actually lived in Eccles, Manchester, so she was Ethel from Eccles!

alanyoung Sat 02-Feb-13 19:52:42

Isn't this just about the craziest thread you've ever read?

alanyoung Sun 03-Feb-13 08:36:26

What about Lettice - a true and well respected Victorian name?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now