Irish or short, classic (?) girls name inspiration needed

(34 Posts)
Blanketsandpillows Tue 29-Jan-13 09:35:27

We have not found a single girls name that we both like! We still have plenty of time but would love to have a list of possibilities-at the moment we have zero! I think ideally it would be either a name like Katie or Anna (I don't know how to describe those names!) or an Irish name. We wouldn't want the name to be longer than two syllables....and i guess nothing 'fancy'!
Any inspiration out there?
Names which are close but not quite right for us are; Aoife, Niamh, Emer, Mary, Lucy, Orla, Hannah, Sarah, Roisin, Emma, Ellen, Lily, Dara....

ludog Wed 30-Jan-13 15:54:50

Moya and Enya are the Donegal pronunciations of Máire and Eithne.

Blanketsandpillows Wed 30-Jan-13 20:35:38

Thank you! Some interesting food for thought here. I think I might be leaning towards the Irish names now. Nessa, Doireann and maybe Una are now on my list (just need to convince DH!). I have just suggested Doireann to my non-Irish DH and he said 'no way'- I don't think we'll ever find a name we both like!

iheartmycat Wed 30-Jan-13 21:01:52

Iris? Not Irish but the only iris,s I,ve known have been Irish!

HoneyandRum Wed 30-Jan-13 21:20:10

Helen

elah11 Wed 30-Jan-13 21:30:07

Laoise (Lee-sha)
Rioghna (Ree-uh-na)
Realtin cant do fadas on phone but there is one over the I, means little star (Rayl-teen or Ray-al-teen)
Tierna (Tee-erna)

3boysgirlontheway Thu 31-Jan-13 00:56:31

Fiadh (pronounced like Mia) I think it's very pretty.

mathanxiety Thu 31-Jan-13 03:07:36

Want to add Tess(a) and Miriam to the classic names from earlier.

atthewelles Thu 31-Jan-13 10:11:51

Naoise (pronounched Neesha)
Ailbhe (pronounced either Alva or Ayl-va)
Aifric (pronounced Afrik)

sneeders Thu 31-Jan-13 12:17:49

caitlin?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now