Caius?

(19 Posts)

Any thoughts?

Gonville and ...

Would you be expecting people to pronounce it 'keys'?

badtime Mon 28-Jan-13 16:30:30

How would you pronounce it?
I thought of the Cambridge college which is pronounced 'keys', but it could be 'ky-us' or 'kay-us' as well.

Trills Mon 28-Jan-13 16:31:11

What badtime said.

badtime Mon 28-Jan-13 16:31:20

massive cross-post!

Yes, as in college.

thistlelicker Mon 28-Jan-13 16:35:42

Awful!

Just why?

Unusual and classic. Prepared to be told to add pretentious to those adjectives.

hackneyzoo Mon 28-Jan-13 17:11:22

I know a little Caius, I think it's a lovely and unusual name.

Pretentiousness is beside the point. Most people who hear it won't know how to spell it and most people who read it won't be able to pronounce it. You'd be better off going for Gonville.

HouseOfBears Mon 28-Jan-13 21:04:19

I think there was a Caius in the Twilight books , pronounced Ky-us. I bet more people would automatically think of that than would think of a Cambridge college (or is that just me? blush)

Cwtchbach Mon 28-Jan-13 22:07:57

I automatically though of Gonville and Caius as my sister went to that college, but I don't think that that large a proportion of people will have heard of it in that sense. I just read Twilight and Caius was one of the old mafia vampires.

MrsHBaby3 Tue 29-Jan-13 13:56:15

Love it!, prob would be shortened to Cai/ Kai ?

I think it means Rejoyce :-)

AgathaTrunchbull Wed 30-Jan-13 11:30:29

It really doesn't mean rejoice. It's an alternative spelling of 'Gaius', which was the most common male first name in Rome (the C/G sound is interchangable in early Latin). The origin isn't clear.

The Cambridge way is a pretty specific pronunciation and certainly wouldn't occur to most people. Caius would correct everyone, of course, but 'Cai-us' is a nicer pronunciation, in my opinion. The college was named after John Caius, who was born John Kays (Caius was the Latinised version). Thus, 'Keys' isn't the proper way to say the name anyway.

Having said all that, I'd love to use Gaius/Caius - it's an awesome name. Just, if you want to call him Keys, call him Keys...

shoobidoo Wed 30-Jan-13 13:23:26

I think most people would find it fairly straightforward to pronounce: Cai-us. Not really difficult or confusing imo. I like it - simple, masculine and not overused. What's not to like?

badtime Wed 30-Jan-13 16:49:01

Other than the fact that your 'straightforward' 'Cai-us' could be either 'ky-us' or 'kay-us', and the fact that the OP wants to pronounce it an entirely different way ('keys'), not a lot.

Dominodonkey Wed 30-Jan-13 23:25:51

Awful and pretentious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now