Names you secretly like but could never burden a child with?

(164 Posts)
ThroughTheRoundWindow Sun 27-Jan-13 20:17:26

Was talking baby names with my husband yesterday and he admitted to wanting to name a son Aubrey. When I stopped laughing he agreed that it might lead to a little bit of bullying. But then I love
Evelyn (for a boy!) which is equally bad...

Have you or your DP got a secret soft spot for a name that might not go down so well in the playground?

DiscoTent Fri 01-Feb-13 20:33:47

DP and I had serious discussions about Phoenix, Apollo and Rocco. I love Judas but couldn't do it (Jude considered but rejected by DP). Now it's too late and I'm not having any more DC, I keep thinking it would have been nice to have an Oberon.

Lots of the names on this list aren't that outlandish at all...

PurpleStorm Sun 03-Feb-13 08:23:56

I like Persephone.

But DH refused to take that seriously as a suggestion and kept insisting on pronouncing it Percy Phone.

Sasparillo Sun 03-Feb-13 12:53:17

I love the name Jody for a boy, but i feel it's a bit girly to justify using it. I do have a real soft spot for it though x

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Sun 03-Feb-13 13:53:12

Aureliano for a boy from One Hundred Years Of Solitude it is so beautiful but I couldn't use it, even as a middle name. I have a boys name picked which my partner and I love, so have come to terms with it!

I also love Gram after Gram Parsons (whose real name is Ingram) but it would be a source of ridicule in the playground. I think it is a very cool name.

Turniphead1 Sun 03-Feb-13 13:53:46

Loveday. smile

thegreylady Sun 03-Feb-13 13:58:51

I like Simeon but the simian association vetoes that!
Gideon is great and I like Gilbert too.

thegreylady Sun 03-Feb-13 13:59:50

I know a Loveday in her 80's
Turnip are you a fan of The Little White Horse?

insanityscratching Sun 03-Feb-13 14:07:21

I love Merlin and Buster and Rastus, I'd never have given them my boys but my youngest was Buster or Rastus for years as a pet name.

SmallKindnesses Sun 03-Feb-13 14:15:26

Mortimer

MakingAnotherList Sun 03-Feb-13 14:21:50

I love the names Persephone and Aurora.

Two of my daughters' names have been mentioned shock

Turniphead1 Sun 03-Feb-13 19:30:41

The Grey Lady - no, I am shocked that I have never heard of ate Little White Horse now that I have googled it. Going to buy ASAP for the children.

I like your username by the way - it's the meaning of my youngest daughter's name actually.

luanmahi Sun 03-Feb-13 22:35:03

I know of several babies with names on this list: Rufus, Atticus, Arthur (x2) and Merlin.

I knew a boy called Jody when I was at primary school. He'll be in his 30s now.

A lot of the names I like aren't particularly unusual but are fairly old fashioned as they are family names and hubby vetoed them when I was pregnant: Margaret, Alfred, Vincent. On the other hand, I vetoed, Wolfie and Flame(!).

mydadsdaughter Sun 03-Feb-13 22:39:22

Have to say I love the names Wolfie and Aubrey, I also love Clement and Elvis but it they were a definite no from dp

Dfg15 Tue 05-Feb-13 13:51:26

I love the name Guinevere, but wouldn't use it.

talulahbeige Tue 05-Feb-13 15:18:52

I kept trying to get approval for Worzel from dh, it was only half in jest.

GaryBuseysTeeth Tue 05-Feb-13 15:23:36

Percival, Lancelot & Boromir (nn Bors) for a boy

Carmen & Aurora for a girl.

june2013 Wed 06-Feb-13 14:38:35

My OH loves Pericles, Xerxes, Hector, Ulysses, Persephone (which I really really like too)...

Tranquilitybaby Tue 12-Feb-13 22:32:39

I love Barnaby, Barney for short but couldn't do it to the child. Too cutesy

2wwmadness Tue 12-Feb-13 22:38:18

Sukie for a girl an lucifer for a boy. I couldn't be that cruel. Although DS does have an unusual name. It doesn't have any connotations of the devil. (Even though sometimes he might [hmmm])

GreyGardens Tue 12-Feb-13 22:40:08

Wolfgang, Sebastian and Clover.
Actually there's nothing secret about it, I love these names, and almost wish I had more children now.

ILikeRed Wed 13-Feb-13 09:37:29

My surname is two syllables beginning with C. I would LOVE to call our children Cassius and Clementine. Love the sounds together and if I was Victoria Beckham, I probably would.
Really don't think they'd go down too well at the local comp though.....

Fifi2406 Wed 13-Feb-13 15:44:55

How come you think the name Aubrey would get bullied?

Titchyboomboom Wed 13-Feb-13 15:47:48

Serendipity and patchouli!!! My inner hippy screams hurrahhh!!

armagh Wed 13-Feb-13 15:52:16

Myfanwy. But just change the w to an n !
Lots if others too. Where i live you'd be thought of as pretentious if you called a child an unusual name.

peacefuleasyfeeling Thu 14-Feb-13 18:33:20

Bambi.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now