Girl names help needed! (Possibly Celtic?).

(55 Posts)
aufaniae Thu 24-Jan-13 00:30:14

Not getting anywhere with names! Any help woud be much appreciated smile

Here are some we like, but none are "the one". Can you think of any along these lines? (DD will have Welsh, Scottish, English, Irish & Estonian heritage. Doesn't necessarily have to be any of these though!)

Eira
Sioned
Arianwen
Mhari
Mari
Marianne
Roisin
Sian
Cerys
Carys
Ceridwen
Etta
Esme

For DS I read 8 baby names books before finding "the one". His name is Scottish and fairly unusual in the UK, although the Irish version is pretty well known in Ireland.

Just done one book so far this time! Can you save me from having to read the other 7?!

amck5700 Sun 27-Jan-13 00:00:54

Tamar
Ciorstaidh (Kirsty)
Inez/Ineez
Fallon

aufaniae Sat 26-Jan-13 23:35:34

Romy's nice, I'll have a think about that one ...

aufaniae Sat 26-Jan-13 23:32:19

[Grin] at Jamesina, Douglasina etc

DP's ancestors are lowlands IIRC so, much as I'd like to, I think I'll have to give those names a miss wink

sparkle9 Sat 26-Jan-13 23:07:32

I know a Scottish Gaelic woman called Eoina (pronounced Ee-O-na). I love this name.

Also like Shona and there are some Gaelic spellings of this I think (Seonaidh?).

amck5700 Sat 26-Jan-13 23:04:14

minkembra - don't forget Donaldina, Douglasina, Angusina and Hamishina - all names I came across when doing a job that involved a lot of Highland customers - I am sure there were more but as it was nearly 30 years ago, they have slipped my mind smile

Lafaminute Sat 26-Jan-13 23:03:24

or Finn (I know a girl called Finn - common enough for boys but not girls!)

Lafaminute Sat 26-Jan-13 23:02:34

How about Romy if you like Rowan??
Or Eilidh (eye-lee)
or Eowyn (like the writer of "The Snow Child")

minkembra Sat 26-Jan-13 22:57:51

Catriona is not pronounced Ca tree owner, but everyone will pronounce it that way.
You have to hear it pronounced by a Gael, then it is lovely. More like Ca teree-in-na if you said the teree like a trill. NOt a good description you really have to hear it. Every time I hear the anglicised pronunciation I wince. sorry.

Ishbel
Lusaidh
Eilidh
Sioniadh
Ailbe
Kirsty
Morag
Moira
Aislin
Erin
Maoile

Re Marry or Varry
Mairi is the name, A'Mhairi is the vocative- (you say it to them but not about them) but these days Mhairi gets used as a name and pronounced Varry)
(like Seamas and Hamish etc.)

Mind you I can't talk. My lass is called Caitlin, we pronounce it Kate Lin but I think it is meant to be Katleen with a very soft t.

some of these names are hard work to get landed with though. A life time of spelling it out.

then there are some really bizarre Highland names:
Jamesina (ending pronounced eye nah)
Murdina
Williamina
Michaela
(are you seeing a pattern? ;-))

ZolaBuddleia Sat 26-Jan-13 22:42:58

Rua
Dearbhla

murlo Sat 26-Jan-13 13:41:22

Regan (REE-gan)
Eibhleann or Eibhlin (literally the Irish form of Evelyn, pronounced the same way)
Cliodhna (CLAIN-ah)
Aisling (ASH-leen)

Mellymog Sat 26-Jan-13 12:46:40

We found out we're having DS2 yesterday. If it was a girl she would have been Iona.

Numbthumbs Fri 25-Jan-13 01:01:03

Erin

TomDudgeon Thu 24-Jan-13 17:49:39

Cwtch
I think I may have been the one on here under a different name
I have a six year old Nia so know about Nia Ben aur

Turns out noone else know about it though so the combo is fine. At least they were lovers not enemies

FriggFRIGGisPoorlySick Thu 24-Jan-13 17:39:45

Sylvie
Farrah
Mara
Hera
Phaedra
Merryn
Esma
Elvira
Agatha
Tanith
Agnes
Mildri (means 'mild and lovely' in old Norse)
Mavie
Fionnuala
Delphi
Audra
Ottoline
Fritha
Aelfwyn
Clytie/Klytie (nymph in love with sun god,means lovely one)
Idonea
Osanna
Elfreida
Affery
Iona
Nuala
Seren

Getting close?

Takver Thu 24-Jan-13 17:38:57

If you like Eleri and Eira what about Eilir or Enfys?

aufaniae Thu 24-Jan-13 17:31:32

Cwtchbach DS's name is even less well known in Scotland than in Wales I think. Lovely names, both your DS and DD smile

harryhausen Thu 24-Jan-13 17:05:39

I grew up in N Wales. Just trying to remember all the people I knew from school...

Catrin
Anwen
Rhiannon
Nia
Seren
Gwenan

I think out of those I like Nia and Catrin bestsmile

SoggySummer Thu 24-Jan-13 16:48:43

Chloda
Caitriona
Isla
Caoimhe
Aideen
Rhian/Rhianwhen
Glenda
Brenna
Keera

buzzy1 Thu 24-Jan-13 16:41:28

Una

Shybairns Thu 24-Jan-13 16:35:48

Fiona

amck5700 Thu 24-Jan-13 16:29:29

can't remember who asked, but Mairi is prn Marry, and Mhairi is Varry. I know someone who is simply Varry.

Ciara
Lorna
Tierney
Nairne

Cwtchbach Thu 24-Jan-13 16:12:15

Mabon is a boys name a meant to say Manon blush

Cwtchbach Thu 24-Jan-13 16:07:34

The Welsh version of your son's name is also very popular in Wales. My DS has that name and my DD is Nia. I asked hundreds of people beforehand and only one had heard of the legend in Wales so I assumed it was safe enough to use. I had personally never heard it until I did my research and I grew up in Wales. It may be more well known in Scotland and Ireland though. Also we live in England so no one has heard the names let alone the legend.

Other suggestions:
Menna
Mabon
Iola - prn Yola
Einir
Elenud
Non
Eirlys

MamaM22 Thu 24-Jan-13 16:03:41

What about Roise, pronounced Raw-sha??

MamaM22 Thu 24-Jan-13 15:59:28

What about Roise? Pronounced "Raw-sha"? I think it's lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now