Thalia

(37 Posts)
Ruththetooth Wed 23-Jan-13 08:00:31

Apologies if you've just read my similarly titled thread (Talya, Talia, Tahlia). Just wanted to know what people think of Thalia. DH and I came across it last night and we both think it's nice but not sure if it would be perceived as a bit try-hard or 'chavvy'. Honest opinions please.

funchum8am Thu 24-Jan-13 17:43:25

Love the name by the way!

funchum8am Thu 24-Jan-13 17:42:59

viviennemary it is classical, not classic. As in Greek or Roman, rather than traditional.

Peevish Thu 24-Jan-13 17:40:47

I like it, by the way. Though from other responses on this thread, it sounds as if you might risk having to explain your particular pronunciation all the time...

alexpolismum Thu 24-Jan-13 17:40:22

[waves at PollyLogos!]

Peevish Thu 24-Jan-13 17:35:06

I've never heard it pronounced as anything other than THAY-lia. The most famous fictional Thalia I know of - in Antonia Forest's Kingscote books - also pronounces her name this way, hence it being misheard as 'Failure' by Lawrie Marlow.

PollyLogos Thu 24-Jan-13 15:57:21

My friend here in Greece pronounces it Tha-lia with the stress on the Tha bit! ( hi Alexpolimum! )

alexpolismum Thu 24-Jan-13 15:32:13

I know a Thalia who pronounces it Th-al-ya (th as in "think"). So exactly as it looks.

Viviennemary Wed 23-Jan-13 18:54:34

Don't like it at all I'm afraid. It's one of these fashionable type names. I wouldn't call it a classic name in this country.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 23-Jan-13 18:53:26

Well, this is my 'learn something new every day' - having only ever seen Thalia on bulb packets, I had no idea it was pronounced Talia. thanks

AuntieStella Wed 23-Jan-13 18:47:25

I have never, ever heard the written th pronounced as "th" in Thalia (ditto Thomas or Thierry).

I think it's a lovely, classical name (and pronounce it Tar-lee-ah).

onthemetro Wed 23-Jan-13 18:45:47

I love it smile And gives the option of Lia as a nn, which is just lovely too!

FellatioNels0n Wed 23-Jan-13 18:44:26

Faylia innit.

FellatioNels0n Wed 23-Jan-13 18:43:34

It's a beautiful classic name (from Greek I think) so hardly 'chavvy'. hmm

But PLEASE make sure you spell it right and pronounce it right. Tar -lee-ah, emphasis on first syllable.

I knew someone who called their daughter Thalia (spelt the traditional way) but pronounced it Te- Lee -ah, with the emphasis on the Lee, which irritated me enormously. grin

lilachair Wed 23-Jan-13 18:35:29

I have a 8yo Talia smile and she is lovely. She does get compliments on her pretty name.

Pronounced Tal-ee-ah by normal people, but TAR-le-ARR by my family >stabby emoticon<

CheeseStrawWars Wed 23-Jan-13 18:26:37

If people in London can cope with the Thames, they can probably cope with Thalia...

Phineyj Wed 23-Jan-13 18:16:59

Because TH in English sounds like F in many words (particularly in a
London accent). But it seems people spell the name without the h anyway. I only mentioned it because there is a character with that name in an Antonia Forrest book who calls herself Tim because she is fed up of people mishearing it as failure. I think classical names are pretty, personally.

sooperdooper Wed 23-Jan-13 16:23:33

I don't really understand how anyone would misprononce it as 'failure'?

I've always heard it pronounced as Tal - eee - a

beadycake Wed 23-Jan-13 11:34:37

Mine is pronounced Talyah (but read it in your mind with a slight Italian flavour - not cockney wink )

GrimmaTheNome Wed 23-Jan-13 10:33:57

My favourite white narcissus is called Thalia so I like it smile

Ruththetooth Wed 23-Jan-13 10:30:51

steppemum, how does your niece pronounce it?

steppemum Wed 23-Jan-13 10:26:10

my neice is a Talia, never had anyone mispronounce it I odn't think (failure - really??)

Pretty name, don't think it is try hard. I hadn't heard of another one when neice was born, but I know of quite a few now

Cakethrow Wed 23-Jan-13 10:21:28

I love it.
Was on my list if DC3 was a girl. He wasn't!

Cheesestraw is right about pronunciation - I would say 'Tar lee ah' but up here one of DD's nursery teachers was called 'Tal ee ah' with the nn 'tally'.

I like both pronunciations though so wouldn't have bothered me.

roseinwinter Wed 23-Jan-13 10:03:57

I really like it too but am confused about the pronunciation. I thought the Greek version (spelt Thalia) is pronounced Thay-lee-ah and the Jewish version (spelt Tahlia) is pronounced Tar-lee-ah.
Is that right?

CheeseStrawWars Wed 23-Jan-13 10:01:15

I like it, but bear in mind accents will affect how it's pronounced, e.g. (generalising wildly) southern english is likely to be more "Tarrr-le-arrrr", northern could be more like "Tal-ya".

GaryBuseysTeeth Wed 23-Jan-13 09:58:26

I love it (family name!), but wouldn't use it as loads of people do mispronounce it Failure (we were considering using it).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now