Double barrelling- tongue twister or good match?!

(14 Posts)
AmandaPayne Wed 23-Jan-13 21:59:34

Sorry, I just don't think it works as a double barrelled name, for the reasons you say about the 'a' end and start.

If it is a middle name it would be fine - how often do you actually say a full name. But if you will be saying them together a lot I think it matters.

Sorry.

Yfronts Wed 23-Jan-13 21:56:18

Floriane is lovely too

Yfronts Wed 23-Jan-13 21:54:02

Not keen sorry. Anne as a middle name would be OK though.

Flora is cute on it's own though. Or Florice or Fleur or Fern

dubai71 Wed 23-Jan-13 08:30:38

Thank you all for your input- much appreciated.

farmersdaugther Tue 22-Jan-13 19:33:05

Appreciate you didn't ask for other suggestions!!! blushgrin

farmersdaugther Tue 22-Jan-13 19:31:22

Love Flora and Anne but maybe not together. I think you might find Anne being drop in everyday use.

What about Sally Anne?

fraktion Tue 22-Jan-13 19:18:10

I would assume you'd misspelt Floriane tbh.

forgetmenots Tue 22-Jan-13 19:12:11

Quite hard to say, but I think you find that with lots of DB names. What about
Florence-Anne as someone else has suggested, or keep Anne as a MN if you really love Flora?

pinkandyellowbutterfly Tue 22-Jan-13 18:03:36

Florence Anne? May have a slightly better flow as its consenant-vowel sound rather than vowel-vowel. Flora Anne is tricky to say because its three open mouthed sylables in a row. But it just comes down to a name you love I think :-)

badtime Tue 22-Jan-13 17:21:10

'Florianne' (or Floriane - I prefer this spelling but the pronunciation isn't so clear in English) would avoid this problem - it's a real name (the female version of 'Florian').
It contains both elements, and you could call her 'Flora' for short.

MJandherdog Tue 22-Jan-13 17:01:49

Bit of a tongue twister. Do you know the song Barbera-Anne by The Beach Boys? Listen to that and you get the same idea...

Locketjuice Tue 22-Jan-13 15:43:06

Ended up sounding like floranne when I say it maybe its just me

Locketjuice Tue 22-Jan-13 15:42:21

It's quite hard to pronounce.. As I just sat here saying it aloud like some weirdo!

dubai71 Tue 22-Jan-13 15:41:01

Hi. We are strongly considering "Flora Anne". We really like double barrelled first names (mine is double barrelled and it is traditional in the area my family is from), love the name "Flora" and "Anne" has family connections but am not 100% convinced it all works together. I am not sure how well it rolls off the tongue and think that might be because Flora ends with "a" and Anne starts with "a". Would be grateful for other peoples' views... TIA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now