Cannot find a girls name we love!

(33 Posts)
Umlauf Tue 22-Jan-13 14:49:04

Really struggling for girls names and looking for inspiration. Have the perfect boys name for us already, Albert. We love that its traditional and classic without being too popular, all the possible nicknames we love (Bert, Bertie, Albie) goes perfectly with 2 syllable surname and in our opinion can suit any characters. He could be a lawyer called Albert or a rock star called Bert!

We have the same criteria for a girls name but can't find one good name we both like! A lot of the problem is names by association and shortenings.

I like:
Valerie (but hate Val)
Penelope (but not Penny)
Evelyn (ev-uh-Lin) but DH hates it and we have an awful Evelyn in our family!
Beatrice (tentatively popping this here as still not sure and DH thinks too French)

DH likes:
Victoria (and Albert?!)
Florence (sadly makes me think of Aunt Flo!)

Any suggestions/fab ideas?!

delilah88 Thu 24-Jan-13 08:57:24

Or also Claudia.

Mosman Thu 24-Jan-13 09:13:50

Matilda
Verity

thewhistler Thu 24-Jan-13 09:16:12

Venetia
Vanda

CruCru Thu 24-Jan-13 11:11:23

What about Beatrix? Or Viola (from Mid Summers Night Dream)?

Umlauf Thu 24-Jan-13 11:35:21

Me and my mum were discussing 'Beatrice' last night! I like it but DH doesn't think it goes with our surname (because it also begins with b - I disagree, I like alliteration) and also Madeleine but.... McCann?

Mosman Thu 24-Jan-13 12:12:06

I have a blonde Madeleine 6 months older than the "mccann" child, what can you do, it's a pretty name and I hate to say but people will forgot the connection day to day, probably have already.

qumquat Thu 24-Jan-13 20:56:42

Names don't have to be shortened- everyone on here seems to assume they always are. If you like Valerie there's no reason to assume it would become Val, unless the owner of the name wanted it to. Val also sounds very 70s, I can't imagine anyone using it now.

NowPlayingZone Sun 27-Jan-13 22:40:16

Think Beatrice is the best from your list & some great names already mentioned. Along similar-ish lines.... Veronica or Jemima.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now