Matilda...

(48 Posts)
mummabug Mon 21-Jan-13 19:18:30

...is it very popular?

DessieLou Mon 21-Jan-13 19:20:02

I don't know any. Lovely name!

idobelieveinfairies Mon 21-Jan-13 19:23:55

My 5 week old neice is Matilda Grace, she is gorgeous and has lots if compliments about her name.x

I have one who is 2.5 she gets called Matilda, Tilly & Tilda.

Mil hates her name & refused to call her it got months but otherwise only nice comments & haven't met any others

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Mon 21-Jan-13 19:27:02

I have a 4y/o matilda

VBisme Mon 21-Jan-13 19:27:26

Love it, and don't know any.

AmelieRose Mon 21-Jan-13 19:29:16

By far and away my favourite name for a girl. Beautiful!

Exogenesis Mon 21-Jan-13 19:29:54

one of my best friends has a 6 month old, nn Matti grin I think it is a lovely name.

Numberlock Mon 21-Jan-13 19:30:24

Reminds me of the beautiful Alt J song.

VinegarDrinker Mon 21-Jan-13 19:32:15

I love it, it's definitely on our list if this one is a girl.

I am slightly concerned about a Matilda boom because of the Tim Minchin musical though (which I love, too!) ...

Love it, I know a one year old matilda, nn tilly

jojane Mon 21-Jan-13 19:35:19

Dd is 4 and a Matilda, don't know anyone else with that name, she's the only one in her school of 200. We do call her tilda too

AWimbaWay Mon 21-Jan-13 19:38:40

There are two in My ds's year (he's 5), they get called Tilda and Tilly. It's a lovely name.

I don't know any. It was my favourite for DD but DH wasn't keen so we went with something else instead. Love love love it.

PoppyWearer Mon 21-Jan-13 19:51:59

DD's year group of 60 has one Matilda and one Tilly.

I love it and that Alt-J song is just beautiful too.

HappyJustToBe Mon 21-Jan-13 19:55:44

I think it is beautiful. DD is 20 months and I have been to quite a few baby groups since she was born and only come across one Tilly. I don't think it is overly popular.

MaybeAMayBaby Mon 21-Jan-13 20:14:25

Ha! This is one of my favourites too. Good choice.

Which areas IS it popular? I'm in the midlands and in our nursery there are 4 Ella's in my daughters class! My DD is called Eleanor and it drives me crazy blush so don't want the same scenario.

MikeFlowersPops Mon 21-Jan-13 20:20:37

I know one.

It's a nice name. I don't like Tilly though so that would but me off.

ShowOfHands Mon 21-Jan-13 20:32:56

I have one who is 5 and know no others locally. None at her school. She is a Tilda. I don't like Tilly at all and thankfully, neither does she.

I have a ds with an uncommon name and there are going to be 3 in his class if we/they don't move. I made the mistake of teaching a parentcraft session when he was 11 days old and two of the couples heard and liked the name so used it. Just goes to show...

legallyblond Mon 21-Jan-13 22:13:30

I have one! She is always Tilda. We have lived in cities Alwynover 2 years and we've only ever met two others plus a Tilly (that's the full name). Both cities are South, one was north London. Met LOTS of 2 year old Sophias and Avas. And for boys, Stanley's and Finlay's.

I adore Tilda's name!

legallyblond Mon 21-Jan-13 22:14:10

Sorry, iPhone playing up - 2 cities over 2 years!

MidnightMasquerader Tue 22-Jan-13 00:42:37

Yes, it is going through a popularity surge at the moment, as you can see from this thread.

My BF's 4YO is a Matilda. I'm not in the UK.

MJandherdog Tue 22-Jan-13 10:12:37

I have a Matilda (4) and she is always being complimented on having such a beautiful name. I also hate Tilly and thankfully she's never referred to as such. Be warned though, the name means "mighty in battle" so stand by for a very strong-willed and determined little madam...or is that just my Matilda?

SavoyCabbage Tue 22-Jan-13 10:16:14

I know quite a few but I live in Australia and its popular here. Waltzing Matilda and all that.

lovechocolates Tue 22-Jan-13 11:21:11

i love it. i don't know any, but would've used it for my little boy, if he was a girl. I would've used Tilly tho.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now