Russ as a nn for......

(8 Posts)
FourStagesofKindness Mon 21-Jan-13 00:59:44

As piglet75 and TomDudgeon have said you could opt for a name with a red meaning such as Rufus, mentioned in the Bible (Mark 15:21) and it was the nn of William the Conqueror II (William Rufus). The Russell family were of Norman descent so this makes sense. Rufino in It/Sp/Portuguese means red-haired. Rufina as a female alternative used in Russian. Ruairidh pronounced like Rory means ‘red haired’ or ‘fiery’ in Scottish.

Alternatively, Bertrand with a nod towards the philosopher Bertrand Russell. Looking eastwards towards Russia, the name comes from the Rus people who were Varangians who were said to be Swedish Vikings. Rus in Old Norse refers to those who row boats. Rowan or Rowena could be used as there are references to these meaning red haired but the nn of Russ may not be an obvious link to many people. If you like unusual names, you could use Russia (others use India and China as names!).

Pyrus (meaning pear) could be used in the same way as others use Apple and Clementine.

I like piglet75’s recommendation of Darius and Rula and I think your preference for Marius is fine. Cyrus also has the ending you are looking for.

FourStagesofKindness Mon 21-Jan-13 00:37:59

If you have a daughter, have you considered Ursula? It contains many of the letters of Russell, apart from the e. More tenuously Ruth has the first two letters and could have the nn Roo/Ru. The ending of Iris has a similar sound to Rus unless saying it slowly as does Idris for a boy. Alternatively Rosslyn is not too far from what you would like. Not so keen on the name Ross for a boy so can’t recommend that.

Chaucer used the name Russell to refer to the fox in the Nun’s Tale in his tales. Russell is, as you probably already know, derived from the French ‘rous’ meaning ‘red’, a diminutive of the Latin russus and ‘rousel’ means ‘little red one’. Rufinus means ‘rosy’ or ‘reddish’ in Latin. It can refer to hair or someone with a rosy complexion. This isn't giving you any more names but might guide you towards some ideas, hopefully. Will be back later.

Snazzynewyear Sun 20-Jan-13 22:43:35

I think it would work well as a middle name.

TomDudgeon Sun 20-Jan-13 22:39:12

Names with red meanings?

piglet75 Sun 20-Jan-13 22:34:29

Rufus? Darius? Rula?

NowPlayingZone Sun 20-Jan-13 22:03:19

Rusty?

Or check here...http://www.thinkbabynames.com/ending/1/rus

Russo ?

BoyMeetsWorld Sun 20-Jan-13 21:47:34

Suggestions please, both male and female. Doesn't actually have to be a nn if it can be part of the name.

I've got a real desire to pay homage to my darling late father through my child's name but don't like the complete (Russell) enough to use as first or middle name

Would appreciate all suggestions for both sexes. I very much like Marius, shortened to Russ, for a boy - especially as that name has a lot of personal connotations for us but DH isn't do keen due to one he knows confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now