Boys names that are not surnames.

(17 Posts)
Pocket1 Sun 20-Jan-13 08:17:49

My nephews have suggested I call my baby (due in July) Tesco or Santa Claus.... Food for thought?wink

sparkle9 Sun 20-Jan-13 08:06:52

I asked him for suitable names and I got...

Horace
Lysander
Conan

And some Greek gods, characters from Shakespeare.....

He can't think of anyone we know or anyone famous with these as surnames.

Fingers crossed that we conceive a girl!!!! Failing that I might just have to register a son's birth without DP and give him a name of my choosing!

ZooAnimals Sun 20-Jan-13 00:48:34

Joe Louis the boxer? Although I don't think Louis was actually his surname.

I bet we can't find a single boys name that has never been used as a surname.

staverton Sun 20-Jan-13 00:38:32

Louis
Kit
Milo

HelpOneAnother Sun 20-Jan-13 00:36:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Callum

Ok
This is a challenge.

Sam.

LPplusOne Sun 20-Jan-13 00:19:12

Beware - Noah is in the midst of a huge upward trend. I know of 3 born in 2012 and they're all in different parts of the country.

ZooAnimals Sun 20-Jan-13 00:19:06

Noah as a surname

Hope DH isn't googling the names!

ZooAnimals Sun 20-Jan-13 00:17:20

Gold all of those can be surnames. Noah isn't very common, but Travis and Fergus are more surnamey than first namey I would say.

I agree with amck though, pretty much every name can be a surname as well, your DH is either winding you up or he's a bit odd.

sparkle9 Sun 20-Jan-13 00:12:30

Amck you are probably right. But now it's my personal challenge to find a name that he cannot object to!

Thanks for the help. When we have, hopefully, conceived I'm sure I'll be back! In the meantime I will run the suggestions by him and see if we get anywhere.

I like Noah! And I can't think of a anyone with this as a surname. Hopefully neither can DP! Henry is lovely but definitely a surname :-( we have been through that one already.

Travis
Noah
Henry
Christopher
Fergus

amck5700 Sat 19-Jan-13 23:59:12

I think your other half is winding you up - He started off with saying no surnames meaning those names that are predominantly surnames but now becoming used as forenames but actually when you think about it lots of names that we think of as mainly first names are sometimes used as surnames - that's where Alexander and Andrew etc I think fit into, whereas Riley and Harrison fit into the first group. He now knows it's annoying you so is seeing it a personal challenge to find someone with a surname for anything you mention. I bet he hasn't really vetoed them all. (and Oliver is a surname too smile)

However, what about:

Jonah
Gregor
Theo
Jamie
Keir

sparkle9 Sat 19-Jan-13 23:39:08

Thanks for the list. Yes I suppose wonderful is subjective! We both want a 'proper' name so no nickname versions or very unusual ones. I don't want a very common/popular name (I like Oliver but it's too popular). I like traditional sounding names but these all seem to be surnames too! Like Alexander, James, Andrew....

Our possible girls names are Felicity, Aurora and Imogen. Just to give an idea of what we like.

Surname goes with pretty much anything!

HelpOneAnother Sat 19-Jan-13 23:28:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Narked Sat 19-Jan-13 23:15:29

This link, table 6. Hundreds of names.

sparkle9 Sat 19-Jan-13 23:05:40

Perhaps a bit early seeing as we haven't started TTC but DP and I have been discussing names. We have girls names that we both like but absolutely cannot agree on any boys names. I love the name Harrison but DP has said he will veto any name that is also a surname. And he has an endless knowledge of famous and sports people so has come up with someone with the surname of any boys name I suggest! It seems that all the boys names that I like are also surnames. So, mumsnet, please tell me some wonderful boy names that are not surnames!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now