What do you think of think of the following? Classic or not?

(30 Posts)
signuptoday Fri 18-Jan-13 15:27:10

Emma?

I have been reading previous posts and the comments range from 'dated' to 'classic'. There were quite a few Emmas in my school so I don't see it as new and fresh but I really like it and think it stands the test of time which is what we want. What do you think?

Snusmumriken Fri 18-Jan-13 15:30:38

I really like it.

meditrina Fri 18-Jan-13 15:31:44

Try reading the Jane Austen novel? It has definitely stood the test of time.

atthewelles Fri 18-Jan-13 15:31:49

It's a nice name but there are an awful lot of Emmas around.

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Fri 18-Jan-13 15:33:14

It's nice enough, but a bit over used and a tiny bit dull.

everlong Fri 18-Jan-13 15:34:41

It's alright. Inoffensive, bit safe.

Much much nicer names to be had.

MadBusLady Fri 18-Jan-13 15:34:55

I don't happen to like it, but I agree it is a classic. It's been used across so many generations, it can't really date. Similar to eg Alice, Catherine, Elizabeth (which I do like).

She might still be one of several "Emmies" at school though if that becomes her nn.

LoopsInHoops Fri 18-Jan-13 15:37:36

It's OK

Startail Fri 18-Jan-13 15:40:17

Emma, nice simple and easy to live with and not many little ones.

I know grown ups and a teenaged Emma, but no small ones.

Leeds2 Fri 18-Jan-13 15:44:35

I like it!

EvenIfYouSeeAPoppy Fri 18-Jan-13 16:14:35

Classic. Simple, pretty, international and not many around these days. Like.

zukiecat Fri 18-Jan-13 17:18:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I like it a lot, especially if she is likely to be, 'Handsome, clever and rich!' smile

hawkmcqueen Fri 18-Jan-13 17:25:07

Knew the most fabulous Emma, she was gracious, well liked, smart and bubbly - that's what I associate the name with, all good :-)

pixi2 Fri 18-Jan-13 17:26:47

I love it. Dd would be Emma after my fave novel had my parents not beaten me to it and named dsis Emma.

CheeseStrawWars Fri 18-Jan-13 17:35:10

As a nn for Emmeline, as in Pankhurst, love it. As a name on it's own, it's fine.

RillaBlythe Fri 18-Jan-13 20:02:17

It does feel dated to me. But nice.

Teapot13 Fri 18-Jan-13 20:37:28

It's not a matter of opinion -- Emma is a classic!

My DD has one of the most classic names possible, but there are a LOT of little girls with the same name. But my thinking was, if you pick a true classic like Elizabeth, Catherine, Emma -- you just aren't going to be the only one.

NowPlayingZone Sun 20-Jan-13 16:34:45

ALL of the above! So if you love it use it. If you're not sure, add it to your shortlist, but wait til D day, then you'll 'know' ;-)

ilovecolinfirth Sun 20-Jan-13 18:29:01

I LOVE Emma, and that was what we would have chosen if we'd have had a daughter. It is classic and definitely not over-used.... Check out the 2012 top names http://www.bounty.com/baby-names/top-100-baby-names-2012

Always makes me smile when people comment on names being "safe" or "over-used"...so many attempts to be unusual or quirky these days. Not completely convinced they will thank their parents in the future smile

MidnightMasquerader Sun 20-Jan-13 18:55:43

There's masses of middle ground though, between 'safe'/'over-used' and 'unusua'/'quirky'. Heaps and heaps of middle ground there, and I tend to think that is the point most people make when they say that.

I actually do really like the name Emma, but I wouldn't choose the name Anna, for example, as to me that name is just too bland and safe (no offence intended to any Annas, it's just my personal opinion of the name).

However, my taste definitely does not run to 'unique' and 'individually quirky', either! grin

There are absolutely loads of names which are known, established, traditional - but are not massively common and used. And given that names are a personal identifier, it's understandable that people might go for something in that more middle-ground area, so that they won't inevitably end up sharing with others in their class/workplace.

exoticfruits Sun 20-Jan-13 19:10:35

Classic and lovely!

alarkthatcouldpray Sun 20-Jan-13 20:26:18

Interesting thread.

The OP asked if Emma was a classic name. As the title of a Jane Austen novel, I would very much contest that anyone could suggest otherwise.

Yes it may have peaks and troughs in popularity but IMO could never really be dated.

Similarly I would argue that Sarah and Susan are biblical names rather than 70s ones (are we really so arrogant as to think the era of these names that we happen to remember or know people from is the one that defines them?). And Caroline, Jane, Catherine, Elizabeth, Emily, Anne, Rebecca (and many others) found in 'classic' literature (that which has stood the test of time) are and always will be classics.

Emma for me is in the latter category, without a doubt. Fwiw I like it, pretty yet strong, simple, suits all ages, goes with many surnames. I also think E is a very elegant initial to have.

alarkthatcouldpray Sun 20-Jan-13 20:27:40

Should add I know of only one child called Emma so not universally over used (which would never put me off a name anyway).

MidnightMasquerader Sun 20-Jan-13 20:38:00

Names are cyclical though - and even ancient, traditional names (or at least some) do go in and out of style. I don't think that can be denied.

As such, they do tend to get associated with certain eras.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now