Can Jesse be unisex?

(39 Posts)
NewYearNewHat Tue 15-Jan-13 09:32:47

I love Jesse for a boy but am considering it also for a girl.
Does it need to be Jessie or do you think a girl could be spelt Jesse? What do you think?

bigbluebump Thu 24-Jan-13 12:04:12

I think Jess or Jesse looks more elegant than Jessie (which looks a little twee and cutesy).

delilah88 Thu 24-Jan-13 09:12:05

Jesse is fine for a girl. Patti Smith's daughter is called Jesse x

thegreylady Mon 21-Jan-13 18:27:47

I love Jessamy.Jessica,Jessie and Jess
Jesse for a boy would work better in the US than here I think.

Katydive Sun 20-Jan-13 17:08:40

I do love Jesse for a boy, it conjures up cowboy images for me, Jesse James for instance, but however much I like it (it was on my shortlist last time) most people actually expressed horror for a boy with the whole 'you big Jesse' phrase, I felt it would have been too much of a risk on the kid, it's still well known enough round here for me!

I know a girl called Jessamin.

Top1000NameChange Sun 20-Jan-13 17:00:17

I am the Jessamy- or rather, I am at least the one that posted on "what is your name" thread grin

It is an old name, as has been said. My mother discovered it through this 19th C author (The Jessamy Bride) but it pre-dates that as mentioned upthread.

Wolfcub Sun 20-Jan-13 11:14:43

Yes my aunt was a Jesse and it was one of my first choices if we'd had a girl

clarehk Sun 20-Jan-13 11:06:00

My daughter is called Jesse (without the i). We were thinking of it for a boy, but when a girl popped out, and we didn't have a girls name, we just stuck with it. I know it's really a boy's spelling but I didn't want Jessica, and to me, Jessie is just short for Jessica. Jesse is a name in it's own right. And so many names are spelt so many different ways these days I think we can get away with it. And I LOVE it now!

monica77798 Thu 17-Jan-13 14:15:32

"I don't think anybody has called anybody else a big Jessie since 1971!"

Lol, perhaps not. But in my mind I still associate the name "Jesse" with a homophobic slur. Even though kids today don't still say it I'm sure many of them are aware of it or will pick it up from old TV shows etc.

schplappo Wed 16-Jan-13 18:15:12

My granny was a Jessie. I think Jesse is a boy. Lovely name for either.

Jessamy is another form of Jessamine, which stems from Jasmine, and is a very old name.

EmpressOfThePuddle Tue 15-Jan-13 23:47:55

The web says Jessamy's a variant of Jasmine, first appeared in the 1630s but wasn't really used as a name until the late 1700s.

Yes, Jessamine's beautiful.

Clawdy Tue 15-Jan-13 22:33:28

What about Jessamine,like the song? lovely girl's name.

lottiegarbanzo Tue 15-Jan-13 22:20:46

I really quite like Jessamy.

Maybe it's recently made up but it sounds old, somehow.

AlexanderS Tue 15-Jan-13 20:18:58

I don't think anybody has called anybody else a big Jessie since 1971!

Generally it's Jesse for a boy and Jessie for a girl, but Jesse can be be used for a girl and 20 people decided to do this in England and Wales in 2011. If you do that though your little girl can look forward to a lifetime of people thinking she's a boy before they actually meet her e.g. when she applies for jobs.

Sonatensatz Tue 15-Jan-13 19:02:23

Jesse is a hebrew boys name meaning 'the Lord exists'.It is Found in the bible it's the name of King David's father.

ErikNorseman Tue 15-Jan-13 13:31:07

Oh you're right. I stand corrected!

EmpressOfThePuddle Tue 15-Jan-13 12:49:13

All the Jessamys coming up on Google are female.

I'd agree about the 'You big Jessie' issue for boys. I think it might be one of those names that works better in the US.

ErikNorseman Tue 15-Jan-13 12:40:27

Jessamy is a boy's name, really though.

Jessamy is lovely.

I believe there is a MNetter called Jessamy, she posted in the 'what is your name' thread.

lottiegarbanzo Tue 15-Jan-13 11:46:31

Back to your girl's name, you could use Jasmine or even Jocelyn and, eccentrically, shorten to Jessie.

lottiegarbanzo Tue 15-Jan-13 11:44:29

What, you've never heard the expression 'you big Jessie'?! Jesse is a nice but quite brave name to use for a boy.

NewYearNewHat Tue 15-Jan-13 11:35:11

monica really? I am surprised to hear about negative connotations! What are they?

monica77798 Tue 15-Jan-13 11:11:15

I think it would be a better idea to name a daughter Jessie than a son Jesse. Jesse has too many negative connotations.

ladymia Tue 15-Jan-13 11:01:51

I think Jessie is a good name for a girl, I know a Jessie and she is lovely. I wouldn't use the spelling Jessy or any other spelling for that matter, I would use the proper spelling of Jessie (personally)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now