Lyra classless or not?

(77 Posts)
Babygruffalosmum Mon 14-Jan-13 12:44:22

My little girl is already called Lyra. I think it's beautiful. Just want to know whether people think it's one of those names that you can tell what social background they come from. So let me know what it makes you think. stupidly bloody read an article about teachers name stereotyping and got worried

MordionAgenos Mon 14-Jan-13 15:04:52

@Eskino It seems that few people have the benefit of a classical education these days (or know much about astronomy). Now, I'd be much more comfortable judging people on those grounds than on the name their parents gave them. But that's just me.

OP - it's a beautiful name. It will make people who have read books smile. It will make people who know about astronomy smile. It doesn't sound funny, its lovely. Don't worry about it. If you find a teacher who thinks it's a problem suggest they reconsider their career.

havingastress Mon 14-Jan-13 15:05:10

I wouldn't consider it 'chavvy' though grin

GirlOutNumbered Mon 14-Jan-13 15:06:05

Kayden! Thats the most ridiculous name I ever heard. How can you tease a Lyra when he's around.

I find that these days children are far more tolerant of unusual names as so many children have them. As in, the name may be unusual, but its not unusual to have a strange name. IYSWIM. I have taught loads of students with stupid unusual names.

Agree on the disclaimer havingastress

JoanByers Mon 14-Jan-13 15:07:59

I can just imagine having to spell it on the phone for the rest of my life.

GirlOutNumbered Mon 14-Jan-13 15:09:43

But Joan I have to spell my name out every time and I'm a boring CLARE, CLAIRE, CLAIR!

havingastress Mon 14-Jan-13 15:15:28

Hey! I'm not eight! God knows what really goes on in their minds wink

OP I doubt very much you are judged by teachers. BUT in your post you asked what we would think. I've told you what I would think. Obviously can't talk for all teachers! Having said that, I doubt I'd actually give it much thought at all unless asked. Which you did. grin I'm far too busy planning, teaching, assessing and marking when I'm teaching.

ErikNorseman Mon 14-Jan-13 15:20:50

It's totally middle class. It's inspired by a fantasy novel, similar to Laura etc, generically pretty, it's archetypally middle class. Especially paired with Joan!

Babygruffalosmum Mon 14-Jan-13 15:22:56

I have to spell mine out and I'm a Polly, or people assume I said Holly because it's more popular. I got teased about far more for my name and I still love it. I'm sure my Lyra will feel the same regardless of liar or lycra comments. I got Polyester a couple of times and found it amusing as a child.

AmandaPayne Mon 14-Jan-13 15:25:19

It's nice. I know a baby Lyra with fairly posh parents!

Ignore, ignore. I love both my DD's names, but I adore DD2's name. It would have been the name for DD1 but she just didn't suit it when she came out. The things I have heard about it on MN are shocking. It's not called chavvy, but lots of other v unpleasant things. let it wash over you.

ladymia Mon 14-Jan-13 15:30:09

OP i really think you are just torturing yourself asking people's opinions on your child's name, a child that is already here and has had the name I assume for quite some time. You can't change it now anyways and who cares if others don't like it you obviously chose it because YOU do.

EuroShagmore Mon 14-Jan-13 15:30:16

I love it (and if we ever have a girl it will be in contention). Btw we are terribly middle class. We shop at Waitrose and everything.

Teladi Mon 14-Jan-13 15:31:25

Lyra's not 'made up', there were kids called Lyra before Pullman! Although not many, I'll admit. Lyra is a constellation name. Like Norma!

My DD has Lyra as one of her middle names. Her first name is frequently branded as pretentious on MN!

pookamoo Mon 14-Jan-13 15:39:57

How can "Morgan" be chavvy? It's the name of a British car manufacturer!

JoanByers Mon 14-Jan-13 15:47:53

like Rover?

pookamoo Mon 14-Jan-13 16:19:18

Rover ha ha, yes! I assume that was a person name as well as a dog name at some stage! www.morgan-motor.co.uk/

hopeful92 Mon 14-Jan-13 16:27:09

Well I think it's a beautiful name. And havingastress crossing things out at the bottom of you post doesn't make it any better. You should be ashamed of your judgemental, prejudiced attitude. I wonder what the parents of children you teach would think of your attitude towards judging their children based on their names... wow.

Lyra is a lovely name.

TillyTommyTootToot Mon 14-Jan-13 16:33:37

Middle or upper class! I'm a teacher and I have yet to be wrong regarding assumptions made about the child's class based on their name!

Shallishanti Mon 14-Jan-13 16:41:44

definitely not made up as everyone has said, I think it sounds nice, it passes the high court judge test- it would definitely make me think of Northern Lights, but that's fine as I think she's a great character- I think that book will have a long life, too, so an association that will continue. So I would assume the parents can read grin and enjoy high quality children's fiction

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 14-Jan-13 16:46:22

Lyra isn't one of those names though!

I twitch at some names to be perfectly honest and do make judgements.

But Lyra? It's most recently a literary name but is far older than that. It's like saying Serena is a made up chavvy name!

It's lovely OP.

Don't worry about the liar liar thing. Children will find ways to tease about anything. There was a boy a couple of years older than me at primary school and some of the kids in his year called him "Daniel Daniel cocker spaniel". No name is completely safe from the grubby mitts of inventive children!

Lovely name (another Pullman fan here) - if anything I'd assume middle class literati - but mostly I'd assume Pullman reader.

Zavi Mon 14-Jan-13 17:26:15

I will concede that since your other child is called Henry you can't be that chavvy. A bona fide Chav wouldn't dream of giving their sprog a name like Henry grin.

I am not persuaded by the "but it's a constellation" arguments on here. I've just googled the names of constellations and they are all, well, see for yourself but here's a taster (Castor and Pollux, Vega In, Achernar, Altair).

Most sound like characters from children's Sci-fi novels to me (especially beast quest)

To my uneducated mind (although I was schooled in the classics) the name lycra Lyra is not so much different as just plain, erm, weird.

Sorry!

Yika Mon 14-Jan-13 17:29:36

Lovely name, sounds pretty classless but still classy to me.

Babygruffalosmum Mon 14-Jan-13 17:51:31

Thanks guys for all the input. I'm not really concerned about other children teasing to be honest. I knew liar or lycra comments would come up from time to time but hey; children are like that. I'm sure she'll love reading the books that inspired her name and hopefully she'll love that there wont be loads of other Lyras in her class. She's a star and suits her name well.

Not worried if people don't like it, I just wondered how people saw it class wise. I'd thought it was classless originally, but maybe middle class now confused I'm fairly satisfied now that most teachers wouldn't single her out based on her name. Feel a bit sad that children can be, it wasn't something I'd thought about. We all stereotype, I just hope that all the Kaydens, Jaycees and Krystals out there don't get treated differently just because of parent's social status.

FWIW I'm from a middle class background but would describe my little family as working class as we aren't homeowners yet.

GirlOutNumbered Mon 14-Jan-13 17:58:16

Hang on a minute - we said we can guess what a child is like from their name not that we single them out or judge them. There is a big difference.

Babygruffalosmum Mon 14-Jan-13 18:03:42

Not you GirlOutNumbered We all stereotype, I do it too. I meant the teachers in the Dailymail article who were acting on those judgements!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now