Am I the only one who does this...

(24 Posts)
sleepywombat Mon 14-Jan-13 04:39:03

I don't, but once a stranger in a queue correctly guessed my name and starsign. I was very impressed.

CheerfulYank Mon 14-Jan-13 04:31:53

Lol no, I don't write the names on actual cards, just on paper when I'm bored at work or something. Still blush though!

amazingmumof6 Mon 14-Jan-13 02:20:30

thanks, it's fun!

not trying , fantasizing, DH wants no more...sad

yes, I thought they came across well, so lovely (can't help getting annoyed by numbers...)

will check out Telly addicts, might see you there?

I thought your name was Dolly grin

(I'll tell you my 1st language - care to guess 1st? you have 3 chances...)

lollydollydrop Mon 14-Jan-13 01:44:17

Haha!! You would beat me, I'm sure! Even though English is your second language (what is your first?) I bet it is a lot better than mine! This is often the way smile

Congrats on your big brood! Are you TTC number 7 then? I think they mentioned all those numbers on the programme as a lot of people would be fascinated by that especially if they come from a small family. I thought they came across really well. Theres a thread on Telly Addicts on MN discussing it!

My real name is Lolly grin

amazingmumof6 Mon 14-Jan-13 01:38:48

yes lolly 6 kids and wanting more!
I did watch it, recorded it in fact!
It did annoy me how they kept on saying she does 9 loads a day, how many tons of bread, how much the holiday cost - like it's all about the numbers!

on the other hand I was delighted that the kids kept on whining and telling each other to shut up! that's more like it!

oh no Scrabble then, no doubt you are scared I'd beat you....grin

now of course I'm wondering what your real name is....and Oh's - I'm just hopeless

lollydollydrop Mon 14-Jan-13 00:25:52

Crossed the line amazing, crossed the line!! grin (Do you really have 6 kids? Wow. Did you catch '16 kids and counting' the other night? I <3 it so much, looked like lots of fun having a big busy family My OH 'jokes' that he wants 14, I know its not really a joke but a secret longing but we are sadly too skint old to have a big family. I'm not even TTC yet and I'm 27! (and a half). We need to wait till we are married (my rule) and have bought a house (his rule) before we even try.. so probably 2015-2016 when we are 30! sad

We do sound very similar in terms of our interests dont we!! I could have you a game of online scrabble, except I dont like Scrabble!! Maybe coz OH likes it so much, I am a bit stubborn and prefer games which are 'fun'. Scrabble and similar feel like a school test!! ha.

I cant say I know anyone who looks like anyone, so I dont really have that problem. Have definately called previous boyfriends the wrong name though!! wink

amazingmumof6 Sun 13-Jan-13 22:46:04

lolly you little stalker! grin

or have you been trained by the CIA/FBI?

this is weird, I also have a fascination for both Psychology (kids' especially) & languages in general (English is my 2nd language, but also have learnt a bit of Russian and German)

I wish we could play a game of Scrabble....

I have actually re-named people because they looked like a cousin/friend/neighbour/actor etc and that association is so strong I can't override it - so I tell them that I just can't always remember their real name, so I'm sorry but I might have to call them Nicola or Sarah!

I do make an effort, but one mum from school is the spitting image of Laura Linney, my osteopath's colleague looks like DH's cousin (say Katie), another friend looks like Ben Miller so in my head they are Laura and Katie and Ben!

anyone similar? or is that a step too far? grin

lollydollydrop Sun 13-Jan-13 19:45:06

Yank do you mean to say you write the names on actual cards?! Is that not a bit crazy of a waste?! shock

amazingmum I try and ear wig to see if anyone they are with uses their name MWAHAHAHA!!

I also wonder whether other people think I suit my name, or what other names I may suit...

My OH just doesnt get my name obsession; but for me its a cross between a fascination in Psychology and English Language. I studied both at A-Level, Psy degree and now Psy masters. OH used to think I was baby obsessed I probably was but its more about an interest in the names, perceptions etc..

amazingmumof6 Sun 13-Jan-13 19:23:52

blue re names, yes it's a challenge..

if I'd known we'll have 6 kids (hope 7 ?!) we could have named them sleepy, grumpy, bashful etc or just the days of the week.

one of my SIL's knows all the "rules" so we have fun chats about our future imaginery kids (she has 5 boys & 4 girls). we've also had dibs on names the other respected, and pacts.

oh and neither she nor I are English (but with English husbands - they are brothers), so there's the debate about pronounciation too

amazingmumof6 Sun 13-Jan-13 19:14:22

blue go out with perfect bloke with yuck name, when he proposes tell him he has to change his name for you.....

come on, we do this all the time with our surnames, not a big deal!grin

amazing Wow that's specific! Lucky you loke a challenge.

poppy- It hasn't relly come up so far, I've not been single for long, but I really think it would put me off a bit. I did a couple of online dates and I did pass over a couple of profiles with names I hated. I KNOW it's rediculous- but maybe it'd go the other way and an amazing bloke would change my negative perception of a name? Like I'll meet him, think he's wonferful and when he tells me his name I wont hate it like I usually would. Maybe.

CheerfulYank Sun 13-Jan-13 18:39:27

I know lolly! blush

Sometimes I even write Merry Christmas at the top

amazingmumof6 Sun 13-Jan-13 14:27:47

lolly, yes, yes, I want to ask too grin - but how could I without looking like a lunatic/stalker? there's no reasonable explanation I just have to know their names!!

lollydollydrop Sun 13-Jan-13 13:59:52

LOL at the Christmas card story, you little weirdo Yank! grin

I do the stranger thing too... sometimes I actually want to walk straight over to them and ask them outright what their name is! Is that ever acceptable?!! Certain people I feel very strongly, ooh they MUST be a so-and-so and so I am soo curious whether I am right lol.

Sasha I know exactly what you mean about the finding a person on whom an name would seem ridiculous, I find this too.

Glad I'm not completely alone in my weirdness smile

poppydaisy Sun 13-Jan-13 07:35:19

Bluesuede, would you really not date someone, just because you don't like their name?

ZooAnimals Sun 13-Jan-13 06:03:32

I do the christmas card test too, it's a good way to test them out grin

CheerfulYank Sun 13-Jan-13 04:20:27

No, but I've been making long lists of names since I was 11 or so. Sometimes I write out all of our names (plus the hypothetical ones) together like I would on a Christmas card.

amazingmumof6 Sun 13-Jan-13 04:14:27

I really like most Bible names, their origins, their meanings - I find them very inspiring and it's nice to explain to our children they were named after people in the Bible, rather than something random or fashionable.

amazingmumof6 Sun 13-Jan-13 04:08:34

blue here comes just some of them

1., both 1st & middle names should be Biblical names or at least something in connection with Christian ideas/values/symbols etc..(such as Verity, Olivia, Felicity or Benedict, Noel)

2, we have 5 sons and 1 daughter (and also named a daughter I miscarried), and I don't want first names to be same initials as DH, me or them, so including the letters Q & X (just unlikely) or P (doesn't go with our surname) we have 14 letters of the alphabet left.

3, first name can not be the same as any of 18 cousins (all with same surname!)

4., I prefer names where 1 spelling of the name is most common (so nothing like Suzannah/Suzanne/ Susannah or Katherine/Cathrine/Kathryn etc, you get the drift, does my head in)

5., can't be comic/silly - so Adam and Eve for twins is not an option

6., DH has to agree - hardest of all

Not exactly the same, but we were in a food court over xmas and there was a girl at the next table, around maybe 14.

I pointed her out to DP because I think DD1 will look like her when shes older. Same eyes and lips and face shape. Was very surreal.

I imagine my future DCs and their names all the time. I also imagine my neices and nephews (also non existand at the mo, but I suspect I will have some soon grin)

I also name strangers. I've been caught staring on a number of occasions. A bad name can really put me off a person, especially when it comes to potential dates. blush

What are your rules amazing? I'm V curious now!

SashaSashays Sun 13-Jan-13 02:48:16

No, although I also try and guess strangers names.

And...before I had DC, particularly whenever I was pregnant, I would think of a name and I guess I probably had assumption of how I thought the dcs would be and would think of names accordingly. I would then see people in the street and think bloody hell what if my DC ends up like that, they could never be a so and so. Example, I'd think Delilah (not an actual choice) then I'd see SuBo and think ABSURD!!!

I'd rush home and say we can't use that name because today I saw someone who would look ridiculous with it. DH would confused pregnancy definitely made me crazy.

amazingmumof6 Sun 13-Jan-13 02:34:41

no, but sounds amusing and will definitely try it out!smile
(are you Miranda Hart? grin)

I do it the other way round, just for fun, and try to guess what a stranger's name might be. there are people who look exactly like a Lucy or a George...strangely I never think they look like a Samson or a Perpetua......

I do think of name combinations I'd use if we had more kids or if we had twins (same sex or not)
I have lots of rules about what names can't be used, so it's a nice little game on boring journeys or while waiting for appointments...

lollydollydrop Sat 12-Jan-13 23:12:32

I often look through magazines and try and find someone who I think may look like what a future DC of mine and my OH would look like, then I try and figure out what name would suit them... hmm

OR

I have a name or two I like in my head, and then I spend the day 'trying them out' on strangers in the street/work etc to see what type of person/look the name seems to 'fit'.

I know my RL friends would think I'm raving mad, wondering whether any MNer's equally obsessed interested in names has done this or similar?!!

blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now