Not 'girly' girls names. Might as well call her Geoff...

(183 Posts)
OkayHazel Sat 12-Jan-13 03:25:36

Help! I can think of loads of boys names, and could name about 12 sons given the chance, but I'm really struggling with girls names and am hoping for suggestions to add to my list.

I really like girls names with harder sounds. Lots of consonants rather than vowels and nothing too long - probably two syllables tops. This means nothing girly, cutesy, flowery, overly pretty (Aurelias, Olivias, Florences), ending in I, IE, Y, IA (you get the gist).

The general trend is one or two syllables, ending in En or El (or other 'finite') sounds. Nothing too popular would be fab, but I insist on using a 'real' name and not an improper noun as a baby name. Any nationality is fine by me - open to ideas. (Though Greek mythology probably won't suit me either).

Names I do like include:

Hazel
Bronwyn
Jude
Merle
Morgan
Olive
Violet (Probably bucks the trend, but I like the hard 'let' sound at the end)

I've also noticed that I really I like unisex names, but only for girls. The more masculine/androgynous the name for my baby girl the better. Any suggestions would be very welcome as I've not come across many yet.

At this point in time I'm so frustrated, Geoff is really seeming like a good idea - maybe choose something a little more appropriate with your help smile

Thanks and good luck naming your babies too!

Allinonebucket Sat 12-Jan-13 07:52:49

Morven?

niceupthedance Sat 12-Jan-13 07:55:36

Marion
Dylan

Bearandcub Sat 12-Jan-13 08:03:01

Maud
Enid
Erica
Roberta (Bobbie)
Gert
Regina (reggie)
Rae
Alberta (Bertie)

Allinonebucket Sat 12-Jan-13 08:07:55

Noor
Annick

Iwillorderthefood Sat 12-Jan-13 08:08:28

Rowan is gorgeous, like Iris. I am afraid Blaise makes me think of the X-men and makes me giggle.

aimingtobeaperfectionist Sat 12-Jan-13 08:08:57

What about James? I've heard a few girls called that and I quite like it.

Catsu Sat 12-Jan-13 08:10:54

Oh this is so similar to my taste! I had a girl after 2 boys and could only think of boy like names.
I liked Francesca, frankie
Charlotte, Charlie
Alex
Violet
Harriet, Harry, hattie

Ended up choosing philippa and call her pippa

ThinkAboutItOnBoxingDay Sat 12-Jan-13 08:59:15

Welsh names then,
Arwen
Anwen
Ceris

baskingseals Sat 12-Jan-13 09:02:58

Astrid

Lois

Ines

Agnes

catnipkitty Sat 12-Jan-13 09:06:22

Harriet (my sister's middle name)
Katrin

I love Olive, and wanted Liv for dd (couldnt decide on just Liv or go.for Olive).

In the end we have called her Meg.

Some other names we liked and I feel arent too girly
*Nell
*Jess
*Stella
*Tess
*Veda

cryhavoc Sat 12-Jan-13 09:18:06

I have a Ffion. My criteria was simila to yours, we also considered Tegan, Morgan, Alex, and Harriet.

MineOrk Sat 12-Jan-13 09:24:36

We had this with my youngest DD, OH likes American/ tomboy names for girls. Top of his list was Elliot or Finn, the others have already been listed here. I do love Rowan and Iris, Astrid and Juno. I am less keen on boys names for girls but did end up using Robyn as her middle name.

As you seem to like the Welsh influence I hope you don't mind a wee list. I grew up with a lot of Bronwens and Rowenas but you never see them now.

Arwen
Eirlys
Catrin
Carys
Elwen
Bethan
Bronwen
Dilys
Gaenor
Enfys
Ffion
Gwynn
Haf/Hafwen
Olwen
Rhian
Seren
Taryn

Ps I love Hazel!

Elliott

Yika Sat 12-Jan-13 09:37:07

Piper
Bryony
Elin

BillyBollyBrandy Sat 12-Jan-13 09:38:48

Piper

BillyBollyBrandy Sat 12-Jan-13 09:38:56

Jude

Yika Sat 12-Jan-13 09:39:58

Malin
Kirsten/kerstin
Meryl

Weissdorn Sat 12-Jan-13 09:40:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Yika Sat 12-Jan-13 09:41:11

Damaris
Laurel
Meredith

LegArmpits Sat 12-Jan-13 09:46:09

I love Roberta, Briony, Georgina, Vivienne, Jocelyn. We named DD one of them with similar criteria to you.

DontmindifIdo Sat 12-Jan-13 09:50:18

I like Esther, Beth, Thea and Robyn.

OP - if you like 'boy' type names, how would feel about a long 'girly' name with a boyish nickname?

Was thinking Persephone nn Percy, or names like Christine/Christina nn Chris, Joanna/Josephine nn Jo, Bertina/Alberta nn Bertie. Georgina nn Georgie/George, Francessca nn Frankie etc.

I'm sure if you gave us your favourite boys name list we could find you the feminine versions!

Yika Sat 12-Jan-13 09:52:02

Dale
Leigh

(warming to the theme but no patience to come up with a full list before posting - sorry for the multiple posts!)

TheBeanAndTheBee Sat 12-Jan-13 09:53:32

Liv
Eve
Beth

Yamyoid Sat 12-Jan-13 09:54:46

Scarlet
Marley
Ripley

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now