paranoid that nobody likes the names of my children

(94 Posts)
howardbear Fri 11-Jan-13 13:25:02

i had my second child 5 weeks ago and have given them a name i really love, but im beginning to get paranoid that people dont like it, nobody has been rude enough to say it to my face but ive had the line 'oh that's different/unusual' a bit (which it isnt) so im gunna put it to the test if i can and ask you to tell me what names you LOVE or HATE or even what you LIKE or DISLIKE from the lists below (the other names are friends/family)

dont know if i'd be more upset if people said they hated it or if it wasnt mentioned at all, lol!

here are the names:-

GIRLS:- sophie, kiera, ruby, elin, bethan, erin, seren, brooke, maisie, mollie, haylie, layla, jasmine.

BOYS:- joseph, flynn, jack, arthur, rhys, robbie, henry, ellis, toby, oliver, jacob, james, dylan, alfie, logan.

thanks for looking x

Narked Fri 11-Jan-13 14:13:10

Do I win a Sherlock prize for guessing you or your family are a bit Welsh grin

MorrisZapp Fri 11-Jan-13 14:14:57

Ive never heard of Seren. And I think Elin is Tiger Woods's wife's name? ie Swedish. Guess she's his ex now.

Ellis for a boy, not loving. The rest seem normal and inoffensive enough.

whatyoulookinat Fri 11-Jan-13 14:15:00

Elin- fine if spelt correctly *Ellen.
Brooke- awful.
Seren- sounds like a made up name but what do I know.
Hsylie- dated.

Logan- awful.

All the other names are nice.

Just my opinion though smile

NaturalBaby Fri 11-Jan-13 14:19:22

They're all lovely!
My 3rd dc has an 'unusual' name, and we get very strange looks when we call him by his nicname but we love it so I don't really care what anyone else thinks.

LoopsInHoops Fri 11-Jan-13 14:19:45

Come on, you have to tell us what they are now!

howardbear Fri 11-Jan-13 14:22:04

yes, i live in wales, quite a few welsh names in there!!!

peeriebear Fri 11-Jan-13 14:23:32

Elin is the Scandi/Swedish spelling.
My DS is 16wks old and whenever I tell people his name they do that polite raised eyebrows "Really? How unusual" grin

SamSmalaidh Fri 11-Jan-13 14:27:13

I think they're all fine, Brooke, Haylie and Logan aren't to my taste but I don't hate them either. Robbie and Alfie look like nicknames to me.

howardbear Fri 11-Jan-13 14:28:31

my kids are robbie and toby, and i love both of their names!!

just confused me when i had similar comments about toby being different!!

ive only ever had good comments about robbie's name, but he is blonde haired/blue eyed cheeky little chappy who really suits his name.

SamSmalaidh Fri 11-Jan-13 14:29:08

Elin and Seren are both perfectly legitimate names too, Seren is becoming very popular now.

Dillydollydaydream Fri 11-Jan-13 14:30:07

Girls:
Sophie - nice but prefer Sophia
Kiera - not one of my favourites, thanks to ms knightly.
Ruby - Nice
Elin - Nice
Bethan - Nice
Erin - Ok
Seren - Like
Brooke - Not so keen
Maisie - Sweet
Mollie - ok
Haylie - Not so keen
Layla - like
Jasmine - Ok

Boys:
Joseph - Lovely, traditional.
Flynn - Like
Jack - Know quite a few
Arthur - Becoming more popular
Rhys - Ok
Robbie - No keen
Henry - like
Ellis - Like
Toby - Ok, prefer tobias
Oliver, Jacob and James - Ok, popular
Dylan, Alfie and Logan - Ok

Dillydollydaydream Fri 11-Jan-13 14:31:32

blush cross posted op

Nowt wrong with your DS's names, OP. I really like Toby.

ShirleyB25 Fri 11-Jan-13 14:40:35

Love Erin and Bethan, maybe not so keen on Haylie, all the rest of names are fine. Like all the boys names, particularly Ellis, as we have a son by that name and he is a lovely!

ShirleyB25 Fri 11-Jan-13 14:41:08

Lad

Hanikam Fri 11-Jan-13 14:45:19

OP, it's your choice of name. Why worry what others think?
My DS1 is called Hamza, and right after we named there where headlines everywhere about that disgusting Abu Hamza. No we did not name our son after him. No we don't follow his vile tripe.

Second Ds is called Sufyan, otherwise known as Sophie Ann!

omri Fri 11-Jan-13 14:45:53

all the names you listed are really lovely - honestly! I worried after my ds1 that people thought it was silly but i LOVE it and thats all that matters at the end of the day.

atthewelles Fri 11-Jan-13 15:38:12

Robbie and Toby are gorgeous names. And I'm not just saying that, I gave them both the thumbs up in my post on pg 1. I particularly love Toby.

plantsitter Fri 11-Jan-13 15:41:46

It doesn't matter eventually; as people get to know the person they like or dislike the person not the name.

DitzyDonkeySillyMonkey Fri 11-Jan-13 15:42:51

GIRLS:- sophie , ruby, seren, maisie, mollie are the only ones I sorta like!

BOYS:- arthur, henry, ellis, toby, oliver, jacob, james....like these

AlfalfaMum Fri 11-Jan-13 15:47:42

Like all your listed names except Brooke, Haylie, Logan, Rhys and Henry.

I like Robbie, love Toby or Tobias.

Tiiiny Fri 11-Jan-13 15:50:27

Crossed out the ones I don't like or seem (to me) to be spelt incorrectly.

GIRLS:- sophie, kiera, ruby, elin, bethan, erin, seren, brooke, maisie, mollie, haylie, layla, jasmine.

BOYS:- joseph, flynn, jack, arthur, rhys, robbie, henry, ellis, toby, oliver, jacob, james, dylan, alfie, logan.

Jojobump1986 Fri 11-Jan-13 15:58:48

I like lots of those names but I have a soft spot for Welsh names & would never have suspected that your DSs' names would've been classed as the unusual ones in those lists! They're perfectly lovely names IMO.

lljkk Fri 11-Jan-13 16:02:07

Toby is the name people think is unusual?! There are two Toby's in DD's small y6 year. It's a meh name for me, but not at all unusual or bothersome.

I thought your kids would be Layla and Elin..

Bowlersarm Fri 11-Jan-13 16:06:37

I have a Toby. He's a 6ft teen now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now