Proserpina?

(46 Posts)
delilah88 Thu 10-Jan-13 13:24:32

I love this name, goddess of springtime -- but would she just get called Prozzie at school?

monica77798 Mon 14-Jan-13 15:39:46

JumpingJackSprat - there is nothing wrong with going for a name that is not in the top 10 lists - but that doesn't mean you need to go digging around for the most obscure name/word you can come across. It doesn't need to be the most common name in existence, but a normal name will save your child years of counselling.

Porkster Sat 12-Jan-13 15:57:18

No. Horrid.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 12-Jan-13 00:29:15

No!

Persephone is far more attractive and less likely to result in a lifetime of mocking.

DadOnIce Fri 11-Jan-13 22:30:13

There is a lovely Martha Wainwright song called this. Look it up on YouTube. Not sure I'd call my child it, though!!... I think you are unfortunately right that she'd get called "Prozzie".

seeker Fri 11-Jan-13 22:26:13

Domestic, Frank Zappa beat them to it! Not for the same child, though......not sure if that makes it better or worse.

AgathaTrunchbull Fri 11-Jan-13 22:19:14

If the myth appeals, what about Demeter, her mother?

Oo, or Primavera - the springtime connection?

Clutching at straws, here...

DomesticCEO Fri 11-Jan-13 21:40:56

seeker, you may find that someone on here now uses the name Dweezle Moonunit "so no one else at school shares the same name"! grin wink

MadBusLady Fri 11-Jan-13 21:12:03

I like pretentious names, but this just isn't a very nice sound to me, even without the nickname problem.

Is it the meaning you like, or a particular quality/element of the name? I'm sure there are lots of great four syllable names ending in -ina.

Gunznroses Fri 11-Jan-13 21:08:19

Im sorry but i first thought this was a newly diagnosed condition until i realised it was under 'baby names', no just no!

seeker Fri 11-Jan-13 21:06:01

If you like it, change your own name, but don't give a name that could be a burden to an unconsenting person who might be a shy retiring soul who hates having the spotlight on her. Or who might be a 6th strapping athlete who might not find it easy being called the goddess of springtime.

It's not a choice between dull, run of the mill or Dweezle Moonunit. There are loads of lovely unusual names that are easy to carry off.

Yfronts Fri 11-Jan-13 21:04:24

What about Serephina/Serephene, Josephine

DoItToJulia Fri 11-Jan-13 21:01:15

I repeat, each to their own ragwort.

Ragwort Fri 11-Jan-13 20:43:16

But lots of people do care DoItToJulia - personally I have very high self esteem so I am confident in my own skin, with my own grey hair, my boot cut jeans and mum-boots but I know all those are considered crimes on mumsnet grin. Actually my name is slightly unusual too, but that doesn't bother me.

Lots and lots of people, esp. young people, are very, very fragile, they have low self esteem, very low confidence levels and having an 'unusual' name is something that can be avoided - unlike some things which you just can't change. So why lumber a child with a wildly unusual name?

OhTinky Fri 11-Jan-13 20:39:14

I actually laughed when I read it - thought it was a spelling mistake. Please don't call any baby this - they won't thank you.

austenozzy Fri 11-Jan-13 20:34:44

I have an unusual name, I've only met a few people with it. I was lucky in that I was pretty forthright and big for my age as a kid, so I didn't get bullied for that or any other reason (I'm a bloke, btw). But there were kids with odd names that were picked on for that reason alone, and they were miserable because of it. You'll be making a rod for the kid's back if you go with a fluffy name.

DoItToJulia Fri 11-Jan-13 20:33:07

Again, who cares what other people think? Clearly people who snigger about your name aren't your friends, or very nice. Who cares what a bully thinks???

I don't get why people insist on dull run of the mill names, but, you know what, each to their own.

DomesticCEO Fri 11-Jan-13 20:31:15

Totally agree Ragwort - I have two adult friends with horrible unusual names and they've both named their kids really popular/common names.

What does that tell you?!

Ragwort Fri 11-Jan-13 20:25:50

It's very easy to say 'ignore those who don't 'get' unusual names' but believe me, people will snigger behind your back. I do a lot of voluntary work with young kids and they do tease children with 'unusual' names mercilessly,.

Yes, I know its not nice, yes, I know it's wrong but we spend lots of time talking to the children about not teasing those with 'different' names but we all know, the minute they are outside our 'supervision' the teasing (or you might call it bullying goes on) so I really, really wonder why parents persist in giving their children so called 'unique' names confused.

Persephone is much nicer imo - and I quite like the options for nn too -Pers (pronounced Purse) or Percy, Sephy. Although Phony is not so great.

DoItToJulia Fri 11-Jan-13 20:15:27

It's ok, but Persephone is nicer IMO. ignore those that don't 'get' unusual names. Each to heir own, eh?

Pochemuchka Fri 11-Jan-13 20:14:33

Sounds like some sort of anti depressant, which I suppose would be ok if she had a sunny nature confused

Seriously though. No. It's awful (and I'm usually nice on these threads!)

AgathaPinchBottom Fri 11-Jan-13 20:11:35

I think its nice OP...don't be cowed by all the judgemental comments...

JumpingJackSprat Fri 11-Jan-13 20:10:52

I dont like that name particularly but i can certainly understand why you might not want a top ten name for your child!

austenozzy Fri 11-Jan-13 20:10:50

Sounds like a cream you'd put on an embarrassing medical problem. Sorry.

DawnOfTheDee Fri 11-Jan-13 20:10:44

showtunesgirl maybe your DH is hungry and is wishing you'd get on with making his tea rather than MNing wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now