Lily Allen's new daughter is called. . . . . .

(66 Posts)
squoosh Thu 10-Jan-13 01:33:47

Marnie.

I quite like it, think it's much prettier than Ethel. Very different in style though. From Dickensian to Hitchcockian.

She must be on MN though, I'm sure I've seen threads on that name in the last few months.

Congratulations Lil! waves

mathanxiety Fri 11-Jan-13 05:40:47

Of the two I actually prefer Ethel. Marnie is horrible.

UterusUterusGhaLaLaLaLaLi Thu 10-Jan-13 23:30:10

I love Ethel. I really wanted to call dd this (Pre lily), but her dad vetoed it. Nearly went for effie instead. Wish I had tbh.

sparklechops Thu 10-Jan-13 23:27:59

I love, love, love Marnie. Have been trying to introduce it as a nn for Dd who has one of the longer names upthread....hhmm, don't wanna be seen as a sleb copier. But it's soooo nice. Well done, Lily, if you are reading!

ZPRB Thu 10-Jan-13 23:21:14

Tis my name (right down to the middle name too!) & one of my daughters is Lily - coincidence ;)

2kidsintow Thu 10-Jan-13 22:22:25

Marnie was the character in my favourite book of all time (when I was a little girl). From the book "When Marnie was there."

I like it.

MerylStrop Thu 10-Jan-13 22:20:43

what bahana said....

banterbus Thu 10-Jan-13 22:18:55

I had also intended to call my future ds marnie and was so gutted when I saw this news today! I think it will get very popular now which might put me off using it :-(

iclaudius Thu 10-Jan-13 21:45:26

pictish - i rather warmed to her during that documentary actually and thought id get on great guns with her

seeing as how i'm a gregarious popular and vibrant person that's saying something wink

re the name hmmm Marnie feels a wee bit unfinished but don't mind it - like Ethel but the two do not gel

Bowlersarm Thu 10-Jan-13 20:20:49

Ds3 was going to be Marnie and he's now 12. We would have used it as a shortened version of Marina. Still really like it

InNeatCognac Thu 10-Jan-13 19:27:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

<sniff> Thanks, Fab <cuffs it>

JustFabulous Thu 10-Jan-13 18:52:00

<sends comforting blanket, bars of chocolate and a cheese hamper to Chickens>

I think it's rude to say a name is horrible when some of your fellow MNers might actually be called that name <cries self to sleep, fills in deed poll form>

pictish Thu 10-Jan-13 18:21:30

It's ok. It doesn't put me up nor down.

I went off Lily Allen after watching a documentary about her and her sister trying to set up a vintage dress hire company together.

I always thought of her as a funny, down to earth sort of woman. She isn't. She's spoiled, entitled and a diva.

Cba with her at all.

lottiegarbanzo Thu 10-Jan-13 18:21:15

Maybe she'd been watching 'The Hour'. There was a very chic but unhappy Marnie in that.

Narked Thu 10-Jan-13 18:17:14

It makes me think of that vile film.

JustFabulous Thu 10-Jan-13 18:16:17

It is rather rude to say a name is awful when it has been stated that it is possibly LC posts on here. Having said that, she probably doesn't care what a bunch of strangers think. I am happy for the family the baby has arrived safely.

FellatioNels0n Thu 10-Jan-13 18:12:52

I have been backing Marnie for a comeback for a couple of years now. I feel smug! It will go stratospheric after this. Just like Ethel didn't.

Smudging Thu 10-Jan-13 18:10:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EwanHoozami Thu 10-Jan-13 18:10:37

They're both gorgeous names. Congrats, Lils wink

lollypopsicle Thu 10-Jan-13 18:03:59

...but it rhymes with sarnie! hmm

Onezerozero Thu 10-Jan-13 17:45:25

Marnie was my top choice girl name but I'm having a boy.
I wonder what she was going to call her baby if it was a boy. I am stuck.

DitzyDonkeySillyMonkey Thu 10-Jan-13 17:33:36

Oh there was a thread about the name Marnie in November I wonder is lily a mumsnetter!

Ahem. Marnie isn't short for anything, unless you are Del Boy Trotter and referring to Boycie's wife, Marlene.

MyLastDuchess - yes my exact thought very 70s Australian I went to school with quite a few Marnies. Saying that I still like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now