Arthur or Alexander?

(37 Posts)
PickledInAPearTree Tue 08-Jan-13 17:24:42

Which do you prefer?

Or any other ideas? I have a few weeks left and cant decide!

gazzalw Wed 09-Jan-13 16:10:17

That's rather harsh. It's a good strong international type of name. So what highly 'interesting' names are your DCs called GlobalDisaster? I have read research which implies that boys do better if they have fitting in type of names and not wildly interesting ones. A lot of interesting names are just plain pretentious unless you frequent that type of social circle.

GlobalDisaster Wed 09-Jan-13 13:47:21

I think the name Alex is incredibly dull and asexual.Alex is very common now,by that I mean popular.

mummyplonk Wed 09-Jan-13 11:10:32

Love Arthur, lots of Alex's round these paaarts. x

PickledInAPearTree Wed 09-Jan-13 11:10:19

I love lex! Superman villain style.

I'm totally sold now.

gazzalw Wed 09-Jan-13 11:03:28

We used to call ours Lexie.....MIL pointed out that it's a girl's diminutive so now he's called Lally instead grin by DD! But Sacha is very cool!

gillian88 Wed 09-Jan-13 10:38:52

Definately Arthur!! I have a little man called Alfie and if he had a brother I was going to name his Artie, but he got a pretty little sister instead so we named her Rubygrin

I do love both, but Alexander would be my choice, but I am biased as it's the name of DS2. He gets called 'Lex'.

cutestgirls Wed 09-Jan-13 07:18:36

alexander love that name

ripsishere Wed 09-Jan-13 07:14:14

Duncan is your answer. Or Gavin or Adrian.
Alexander if you must though. I do come from EE land and my grandad had a drinking friend called Arfur.

gazzalw Wed 09-Jan-13 07:08:41

But don't you think that boys tend to flourish with more standard names? Yes, Alexander is relatively popular but it's a really fine name and suits all age groups....And Sacha is a lovely diminutive....but Alex is too....

Have to laugh though...we swapped DS's names around because we thought the name we had first chosen would be very popular...At primary school DS had another Alexander in the class and in his super-selective there's three in his class and about six in the year group, although there's as many Ben(jamin)s, Joshs etc....

But an Alexander will hold his own anywhere, home or abroad, rich or poor....

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 08-Jan-13 23:44:08

Arthur.

Alexander,though lovely without a doubt, is quite common throughout all age groups.

3smellysocks Tue 08-Jan-13 23:41:36

both are fab but I like the nn Xander

toobreathless Tue 08-Jan-13 23:37:15

Alexander, much more classic.

I think Arthur runs the risk of being quite faddy & may date.

PickledInAPearTree Tue 08-Jan-13 22:50:39

I get you. Aaaaaarfa faaaaaaawler.

I'd be scared of my Christmas club money!

williaminajetfighter Tue 08-Jan-13 22:14:19

Alexander but Sasha for short. Lovely and damn sexy! Or even zander.

pinkandyellowbutterfly Tue 08-Jan-13 21:51:08

The thing problem i have with with Authur is the 'th' issue - depending on where you live it might get pronounced arfa like it does in east london. i also have connotations based around pauline fowler/olive from on the busses failed attempts at calling their husbands but that may just be me! Alexander is lovely as a full name, and the full name is actually not that well used its usually alex. And I agree with molotov coctail lots of scope for middle names.

I so wanted to call DS Arthur, but DP wouldn't let me sad. I loved the idea of Art as a nickname, but he hated it... DP wanted to call him Rex! Obviously neither of us got our first choice.

marriedinwhite Tue 08-Jan-13 21:49:46

Love Arthur. Like Merlin too wink.

GlobalDisaster Tue 08-Jan-13 21:44:08

Too many alexes, a bit bland for me. Arthur gets my thumbs up even if it's popular.

GlobalDisaster Tue 08-Jan-13 21:42:48

I love Arthur, alex is nice but a bit Bland for me. Arthur is strong, it's a proper blokes name and don't think it would be shortened .

zenoushka Tue 08-Jan-13 21:36:29

I love Alexander!

CharlieBoo Tue 08-Jan-13 19:43:48

Alexander definitely... I never get the appeal with Arthur.

PickledInAPearTree Tue 08-Jan-13 19:28:02

Yes I wondered that, Alexander is popular but normally lurks in the top 25. I think Arthur could get very big!

Thanks all you've helped me make my mind up.

catinsantasboots Tue 08-Jan-13 19:17:39

Quite a few Arthurs about.

Is the new Alfie/Archie IMO

MumOfTheMoos Tue 08-Jan-13 18:37:40

Alexander - the nick names are endless:

Alex
Ali
Alec
Sandy
Sasha
Xander

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now