Arthur or Alexander?

(37 Posts)
PickledInAPearTree Tue 08-Jan-13 17:24:42

Which do you prefer?

Or any other ideas? I have a few weeks left and cant decide!

3smellysocks Tue 08-Jan-13 23:41:36

both are fab but I like the nn Xander

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 08-Jan-13 23:44:08

Arthur.

Alexander,though lovely without a doubt, is quite common throughout all age groups.

gazzalw Wed 09-Jan-13 07:08:41

But don't you think that boys tend to flourish with more standard names? Yes, Alexander is relatively popular but it's a really fine name and suits all age groups....And Sacha is a lovely diminutive....but Alex is too....

Have to laugh though...we swapped DS's names around because we thought the name we had first chosen would be very popular...At primary school DS had another Alexander in the class and in his super-selective there's three in his class and about six in the year group, although there's as many Ben(jamin)s, Joshs etc....

But an Alexander will hold his own anywhere, home or abroad, rich or poor....

ripsishere Wed 09-Jan-13 07:14:14

Duncan is your answer. Or Gavin or Adrian.
Alexander if you must though. I do come from EE land and my grandad had a drinking friend called Arfur.

cutestgirls Wed 09-Jan-13 07:18:36

alexander love that name

I do love both, but Alexander would be my choice, but I am biased as it's the name of DS2. He gets called 'Lex'.

gillian88 Wed 09-Jan-13 10:38:52

Definately Arthur!! I have a little man called Alfie and if he had a brother I was going to name his Artie, but he got a pretty little sister instead so we named her Rubygrin

gazzalw Wed 09-Jan-13 11:03:28

We used to call ours Lexie.....MIL pointed out that it's a girl's diminutive so now he's called Lally instead grin by DD! But Sacha is very cool!

PickledInAPearTree Wed 09-Jan-13 11:10:19

I love lex! Superman villain style.

I'm totally sold now.

mummyplonk Wed 09-Jan-13 11:10:32

Love Arthur, lots of Alex's round these paaarts. x

GlobalDisaster Wed 09-Jan-13 13:47:21

I think the name Alex is incredibly dull and asexual.Alex is very common now,by that I mean popular.

gazzalw Wed 09-Jan-13 16:10:17

That's rather harsh. It's a good strong international type of name. So what highly 'interesting' names are your DCs called GlobalDisaster? I have read research which implies that boys do better if they have fitting in type of names and not wildly interesting ones. A lot of interesting names are just plain pretentious unless you frequent that type of social circle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now