leonard/lennon...help!!!

(21 Posts)
bugsyburge Tue 08-Jan-13 13:28:20

Hi All,

Currently thinking of boy's names.....

DH loves Len/Lenny. I love Len but am not keen on Leonard. I would prefer a "proper" name to be registered on the birth cert so have been thinking of alternatives. I do quite like Lennon but I'm not sure whether this sounds a bit chavvy.

My questions really are; do you think I could get away with Len as a name by itself? What are your thoughts on Lennon? Can you think of any other names where Len could be the nn?

Thanks smile

x

RillaBlythe Tue 08-Jan-13 13:37:25

I much prefer Leonard to Lennon. Streets ahead.

ZooAnimals Tue 08-Jan-13 14:08:19

The idea of a baby called Len really makes me laugh. I think it's one of those old man names that hasn't really made a come back yet.

Lennon and Leonard are both pretty awful.

I think Leonard is more sensible.

Lennon is a bit try hard. One of Liam Gallaghers kids is called Lennon I think.

try here for alternatives

RillaBlythe Tue 08-Jan-13 14:13:53

Lenny is cute, though, on a baby. Don't you think? I knew a really fit Leonard at school too.

MolotovCocktail Tue 08-Jan-13 15:19:45

I really like Lennon. What you need to be wary of though, is that people will assume you're a mad-keen Beatles fan. Fine if you are; a shit if you're not.

Snowflakepie Tue 08-Jan-13 15:21:21

A friend has a Lennan, it is an Irish name. But she is always asked if it is after the Beatles. He gets called Len or Lenny as nn, and it is actually quite cute. And Lenny Kravitz is very cool!

thegreylady Tue 08-Jan-13 18:34:11

Leon with Len for short?

babyblabber Tue 08-Jan-13 18:37:14

I'm Irish and have never heard of the name Lennan. I would See lennon as a bit of a made up first name.

I like leonard but think Len would be fine on its own too!

SugarMeFingers Tue 08-Jan-13 18:44:30

I prefer Lennon out of the two, Leonard makes me think 'Big Bang'. Not a bad thing, but i think Lennon is a bit more of a modern name.

howcomes Tue 08-Jan-13 18:45:38

How about Lennox?

KittyBreadfan Tue 08-Jan-13 18:52:14

My dc1 is Lennon. It was my ex's choice and I wasn't keen. He usually gets called Len or Lex. I (we) are far from chavvy but I do hate it when people mention the Beatles (over-rated) or Gallagher (twat). Wish he was called something else but he's too old to change it.

KittyBreadfan Tue 08-Jan-13 18:53:01

Oh and a lot of people think I have said Leonard when I say Lennon anyway.

newtonupontheheath Tue 08-Jan-13 18:54:05

My ds has Lennon as a middle name. He was due on John Lennon's 70th birthday so DH and I watched loads of stuff about him on TV. Reminds me of that whole time smile I love the name.

AnnIonicIsoTronic Tue 08-Jan-13 18:57:12

I know of people called Leontae - iirc it's a slav version of leonard. Leon is popular.

letsgetreadytoramble Tue 08-Jan-13 18:58:30

My DS has Leonard as a middle name, as it is my dads name and my was also my grandad's name, and I wanted to pass it on to my son. I did feel it was a bit old fashioned to give him as a first name, but I actually think its making a comeback. Both my dad and grandad were Len for short.

letsgetreadytoramble Tue 08-Jan-13 19:02:30

Lennox?

ladymia Tue 08-Jan-13 19:09:53

As others have suggested, I really like the name Lennox. I don't like Leonard or Lennon and really don't like the idea of Len or Lenny.

If I had to pick between Lennon and Leonard though I would pick Lennon.

bugsyburge Wed 09-Jan-13 21:24:33

Dh has no other name he wants. Any suggestions for similar? Lennox reminds me of the boxer...

Flickstar Sat 19-Jan-13 19:04:41

I have a Leonard so I obviously love the name! He is mainly called Len, Lenny or Len Len. Everyone comments on how lovely it is- I'd say go for it!

Szeli Wed 13-Feb-13 20:35:16

My DP is a Lennon. I love it but he's had the Beatles thing all his life. Def not chavvy IMO tho xx

UterusUterusGhali Thu 14-Feb-13 18:11:55

Dylan?
(you just say the "lan" bit.)

I like Leonard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now