How popular is James?

(23 Posts)

Expecting 1st DS in March. Had always wanted and loved the names 'James', but speaking to people it appears there are lots about and I think it looks set to climb in popularity next year.

Not that it matters I guess, but would be interested to know how popular it is in your experience?

Many thanks in advice. thanks

persephoneplum Mon 07-Jan-13 14:10:54

James is hugely popular throughout many generations. I know many of them, of all different ages. It's on a par with William - millions of them.

chesticles Mon 07-Jan-13 14:12:01

It is consistently popular. It is one of the names that I think has always been in the top 10. My DS is James (2 yo) and there is another in his small group at nursery. I know quite a few other babies as well. I know a James of every age I think. I don't mind though as although it is popular it isn't faddy. It timeless and classless I think. I love it personally.

NickNacks Mon 07-Jan-13 14:13:41

On the other you might not bump into any!

My James is the only one in the school and has been for the whole 5 urs he's been there so far. Also no others in cubs etc.

StellaNova Mon 07-Jan-13 14:14:39

I have a James (Jamie) and there is another James in his class - with the same middle name as well!

But there weren't any others at nursery. I think it is the kind of name where there may well be another in the same class but not three or four.

Obvioulsy I think it is an awesome name smile

"I think it is an awesome name"

So do I Stella smile and if it's not the first name it will definitely be the middle name!!

sonnieboo Mon 07-Jan-13 16:30:52

Why don't you look on the ONS list - it will show you excactly how many Jameses were born last year (well, in 2011).

I know quite a lot of them and find it a little dull personally.

Floralnomad Mon 07-Jan-13 16:35:21

A lot of the James do get called Jamie so if you're going to be an actual James I think that's less common IME . Sometimes you just have to go with what you love irrespective of what other people are doing .

GW297 Mon 07-Jan-13 20:11:15

James is popular but it's a lovely name!

birdofthenorth Mon 07-Jan-13 20:17:20

I think it is currently ubiquitous as a middle name but not everywhere as a first name (it's high up the charts but lots are actually known as Jamie, Jimmy, etc). There aren't any in DD's nursery of 120 kids, though almost every little boy I know born recently has it as a middle name! Totally agree it is classic and not at all faddy though. It's a gorgeous name.

weblette Mon 07-Jan-13 20:21:09

8yo ds2 is a James, one other in his year (60 boys), 1 in 11yo ds1's year, none in 4yo ds3's year.

redrubyshoes Mon 07-Jan-13 20:22:47

James has always been in my top five boys names since I was ten. Never changed my mind, a lovely strong classic name......................and you have Bond.............James Bond................

wink

TameGaloot Mon 07-Jan-13 20:23:48

My James (8) has been to four schools and there hasn't been another in any if his classes. In fact there's only been two in the whole four schools
I don't know where they're all hiding

DIddled Mon 07-Jan-13 20:24:48

I have one! He is a James, not a Jim Jamie or anything else though. He is one of at least three in his Y9 class though.

TameGaloot Mon 07-Jan-13 20:25:21

Oh and mine has always been Jamie (or Jimbob or one of the other names we call him) but he chose to be James at school

PenelopeChipShop Mon 07-Jan-13 20:30:26

Yeah it's popular but it is great. I was always convinced my first son would be called James but dh came up with an alternative that I also loved. But I still love James! If we have another boy I'm pretty sure I would go for it.

Thanks everyone. smile

monica77798 Tue 08-Jan-13 12:23:47

James is a good name and as it is a traditional name there will always be lots of them about - this year, next year, 50 years ago and in 50 years time. The upshot of this is that it is a name that will never go out of fashion and will sound just as good in decades to come as it does now. If you pick a more quirky name it might be a bit strange (or be associated with something embarrassing from TV or film) by the time your DS grows up. James is too well established to have anything bad associated with it.

Trifle Tue 08-Jan-13 12:30:09

My nephew is called James. I took him to the park recently and was embarrassed to call out his name as virtually every boy turned round in response. Vastly over used in my opinion.

HelpOneAnother Tue 08-Jan-13 12:34:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ArthurandGeorge Tue 08-Jan-13 12:34:58

Interesting comment about it as a popular middle name, that's what I think of it as too. I don't like it enough for a first name, I find it a bit bland somehow but I think it goes well with other names making it a good middle name.

atthewelles Wed 09-Jan-13 12:42:50

I think its one of those names that is always quite popular but never reaches saturation point. Other names seem to be everywhere for a few years and then just disappear.

Yellowchair Thu 10-Jan-13 19:49:02

Love James and all its nic names. Its Classic never dates.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now