Elodie, Isobel or Leila

(25 Posts)
MysteryCat Mon 07-Jan-13 09:15:23

Our short list for girls has changed a few times but it's currently between Elodie, Isobel and Leila. I just wondered what you think of these names and which (if any) is your favourite. Thanks!

Optional secondary question - any ideas for one-syllable middle names that would go well with these (other than Rose and Grace).

Haroldbishop Mon 07-Jan-13 09:26:18

I would avoid Isobel personally. Pretty name but Isobel / Isabella etc very very popular ATM. The last three baby girls I know are all called Isabella (two first names, one middle name).
I would go for Elodie.
What about

Elodie Anne
Elodie Jane
Elodie Kate
Elodie Eve / Eva
Elodie May

hatebeak Mon 07-Jan-13 09:29:45

I like Isobel best, then Leila. Dislike Elodie a great deal, but I know it's popular.
Jane and Anne have a quiet style of their own - and would make a change from Rose and Grace. Jean is due a comeback, too.

MolotovCocktail Mon 07-Jan-13 10:45:50

My preference is Elodie, then Isobel, then Leila.

One syllable middle names:

Kate, Kay, Niamh/Neve, May/Mae, Maeve, Clare/Claire, Elle, Nell, Belle, Liv.

monica77798 Mon 07-Jan-13 10:54:50

Isobel or Leila, not sure about Elodie. Jane is always a good middle name, I think it works quite well with Leila too.

AuntieShirley Mon 07-Jan-13 11:32:43

Elodie is lovely.
Not keen on Isobel or Leila.

AuntieShirley Mon 07-Jan-13 11:33:53

Oh, and I think Elodie Pearl would be beautiful!

Snowflakepie Mon 07-Jan-13 11:41:09

Elodie is my favourite, don't know any in rl. Isobel is very popular, know loads. Leila I'm never sure how to say or spell, lots of variations as with Isobel really.

Middle names: May, June, Ann, Jane, Jean, Kate, Joan, Maud. Depends on your surname and what flows I think!

HazleNutt Mon 07-Jan-13 12:49:08

Elodie.
(This or Eloise would be the first choice for our DD but unfortunately won't go with the surname.)

bootsycollins Mon 07-Jan-13 12:58:06

I love Leila but prefer spelt Layla. For a middle name....
Jo
Jane
Louise
Sarah
Belle
Jean
Anna
Ramona
Wren
Naomi
Francesca
Uma
Audrey

PurpleStorm Mon 07-Jan-13 13:02:19

I'm not quite sure how you pronounce Elodie. Is the 'o' long or short?

I like Isobel, but personally would be put off by its popularity. I know quite a lot of little Isobel/Isabelle/Isobella's

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 07-Jan-13 13:08:47

Hope as a second name?

The 3 names you give are all lovely. I only knew one Elodie 10 years' ago but it seems to be gaining in popularity. Isabella is pretty widespread, Isobel much less so. Leila is the most unusual in my area.

RayBansWife Mon 07-Jan-13 13:42:20

Elodie Claire?

Love Isobel. Don't like Leila.

Isobel Joy
Isobel Faye
Isobel Claire
Isobel Maeve

SomersetONeil Mon 07-Jan-13 23:03:06

My name is one of those on your list.

My middle name is Jeanne.

GeordieCherry Mon 07-Jan-13 23:04:51

Elodie with Joan or Anne

takethatlady Tue 08-Jan-13 21:35:36

I have an Isobel Edith. Haven't met any other Isobels at nursery/playgroups etc, though I have met Isabella's. Isobel is by far the least common spelling. Personally it was the only name we both absolutely loved, and that mattered more than popularity - especially since there are hundreds of girls names and a long list of very popular names, so you're unlikely to be bombarded by children with any one name. Also since Isobel is a versatile name and she can be Izzy, Ibby, or Belle if she chooses, we thought she'd have options. And as you can see, we went for a slightly less popular middle name.

So obviously Isobel is my favourite! But I like your other choices. My BF from school is called Leila but she pronounces it Lee-la rather than Lay-la. Which would you be going for? (There's a Leila in the 50 Shades of Grey books, btw, just in case that bothers you!)

One syllable names are trickier. How about

Isobel Beth
Isobel Eve
Isobel Joy
Isobel Anne
Isobel Dawn
Isobel Ruth

3smellysocks Wed 09-Jan-13 14:01:02

Elodie - classic and sophisticated

Leila - bit rough and very popular

Isobel - very popular and I know many

iseenodust Wed 09-Jan-13 14:06:31

Don't know any girls named Elodie or Leila. Nursery was overrun with Isabelle/Isobel/Isabella variations.

MysteryCat Wed 09-Jan-13 14:36:50

Thanks for all your replies - some great suggestions.

PurpleStorm - I would pronounce Elodie so that it rhymes with 'Melody'.

takethatlady - I would pronounce Leila as Layla but like both. Good point about 50 Shades, I didn't know that!

EbbNFlow Wed 09-Jan-13 16:02:57

Elodie is lovely.

I like Leila very much, but it is quite popular, if that matters?

Isobel is everywhere. Not keen at all.

Mine is Isobel Daisy, so I am also biased! smile

And agree that the Isobel spelling is a) far superior and b) much less common. smile

I love Elodie. I think Elodie Anne is beautiful.

aviella0m Wed 09-Jan-13 20:03:41

Elodie is gorgeous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now