DD (2) is 2 days old. Help me with her name please!

(103 Posts)
NarcolepsyQueen Fri 04-Jan-13 21:26:07

She looks like she would suit a robust name, iykwim? I like:

Matilda
Theodora
Tabitha

Which do you prefer? Ideas for middle names welcomes! Would like a short middle name!

Thank you so much - we are struggling!

i love martha, matilda and tabitha and dd's middle name is rae so i love your choices. smile

Permisson Fri 04-Jan-13 22:19:38

Don't think there will be a surge due to Robbie. Don't let that put you off.Dorothea is great too though.

Do you want other robust names suggestions? Just in case...!
Ramona
Frances/Francesca
Rosa

Like Rae as a middle name, not keen on Bo.

Sirzy Fri 04-Jan-13 22:21:27

Matilda or tabitha

comeonbishbosh Fri 04-Jan-13 22:49:03

Seriously, a surge because of Robbie Williams?!!!!

I think the only 'celeb' couple anyone need worry about is Kate and Wills, and you'll be making a decision before them I suspect.

KatherinaMinola Fri 04-Jan-13 22:52:43

Yes, I thought Ramona or Dorothea too.

RibenaFiend Fri 04-Jan-13 22:53:45

Congratulations OP!!!

NarcolepsyQueen Fri 04-Jan-13 23:19:10

All 3 are pretty neck and neck so far then! I find girls names so tricky! DD1 is 8 and has the same name as a French film about a quirky girl and she has the middle name Mai, if that helps?

NarcolepsyQueen Sat 05-Jan-13 07:46:29

The other name I love is Eloisa, but DH has said no to that one. Weirdly - I don't like Dorothea, but do like Theodora!

steppyhen Sat 05-Jan-13 09:24:07

theodora ivy!

I love Matilda with Tilda as a nn. Matilda Joy Surname.

Also, Harriett, Ramona, Juno, Beatrix

orangepudding Sat 05-Jan-13 09:27:37

Love Matilda.
How about Francesca?

FergusSingsTheBlues Sat 05-Jan-13 09:32:09

Violet
Beatriz
Audrey
Vivienne
Cecily

RustyBear Sat 05-Jan-13 09:37:51

I didn't realise that Simon LeBon had called his daughter Amber a few months before DD was born, and I got quite a lot of 'are you a fan' remarks, and there was a bit of a surge in popularity. But 23 years later, it's pretty much just another name.

The only problem now is that she shares her name with a rather notorious character who has sprung into prominence since, but there's nothing anyone can can do about that! In fact in some ways it's an advantage, because if you google DD's name, all you get is this other person, so I suppose in a way it protects her privacy...

I like Theodora Rae, and Tabitha. Matilda for me still recalls Hilaire Belloc's 'Matilda told such dreadful lies', but that's just me showing my age, I suspect!

Allalonenow Sat 05-Jan-13 09:54:37

Theodora is my favourite.

Lucy Ellen Fleur for middle names?

rhondajean Sat 05-Jan-13 10:00:33

What about Eloise without the a? My very first doll was named that by me when I was about 18 months for some reason, it is a very pretty name and I think would match your older daughter.

SpikyLikey Sat 05-Jan-13 11:43:11

Theodora is nice, but agree the Robbie Williams 'Teddy' thing means it will definitely gain popularity.

Love Dorothea.

Vivienne
Lillian
Hazel
Esther
Harriet
Frieda
Estelle
Beatrice
Selma
Marrianne

Tillylils Sat 05-Jan-13 11:50:57

Congratulations!! My dd is Matilda Lily, nn Tilly so she's Tilly Lily. Also love Theodora, nn thea

NarcolepsyQueen Sat 05-Jan-13 16:03:18

Oh God! This is sooo tricky! Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I was hoping that the feedback would leave an obvious forerunner! Love Matilda, but worry that there will be a few (I work in education). Love Theodora, but don't like the Robbie Williams link. Love Tabitha, but will I get too many Bewitched cat comments?

nearlypregnant Sat 05-Jan-13 16:11:13

I like Tabitha and Matilda. Not so keen on Rae, I prefere Wren.

Congratulations by the way!! smile

littleacceb Sat 05-Jan-13 16:12:52

I'm a fussy mare but I think all three are gorgeous. Congrats on having the same taste as me! If I had to choose... Theodora - Teddy for short. Sounds like the sort of girl I had enormous girl-crushes on when I was 16.

Middle names are a great opportunity to recognise a deceased relative, if that helps.

SoggySummer Sat 05-Jan-13 16:24:56

Congratulations.

Theodora out of all those. Not keen on Matilda - know several school age Matildas already. Tabitha is Ok but does not grab me like Theodora.

One of my closest friends is called Rae and I know of one other too - both adults though.

So Theodora gets my vote and my middle name suggestion

Ellen
Ann
Hope
Rose
Ruth
Beth
Paige
Olive
May
Fay
Joy
Lois
Helen
Faith
Eve
Grace
Kate
Alice

Rhubarbgarden Sat 05-Jan-13 16:40:28

Tabitha. Theodora is ok but the extra syllable makes it too long in my book. Matilda is too overdone - my two year old has three friends called Tilly, in quite a small circle of friends.

How about Roberta?

sandberry Sat 05-Jan-13 17:42:53

Theodora is great, lots of potential shortenings and nice meaning, if you went for Beau as a middle name (or Belle for that matter), it would (with some poetic license) mean beautiful gift of god.
Matilda is lovely, quite popular but a strong name.
Tabitha is nice but will get cat comments

Congratulations BTW

MahnaMahna Sat 05-Jan-13 18:11:10

I like Tabitha. I knew a girl who was quite punky and she called herself Tabby for short. Rae is lovely as a middle name.

We wanted quite a strong name for our DD that could be shortened whilst she is small. We went for Beatriz Rosa in the end. Beatriz means voyager, and we went for Rosa after Rosa Parks (the black lady on the bus.)

We call her Bea for short. She's so cheeky it suits her to a T.

Congratulations!! x

Reaa Sat 05-Jan-13 18:18:18

Thea smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now