DH likes traditional names and I like unusual...

(39 Posts)
theykillhorses Wed 02-Jan-13 23:55:32

For a girl he likes Elizabeth or Hannah

I like Demri or Keomi

<sigh>

Our choices can never be reconciled. We have argued endlessly about it. However I have taken to saying he can pick for a boy and I choose the girl name, knowing with all my instinct it is a girl... grin

theykillhorses Thu 03-Jan-13 09:07:45

I have had an idea, I might see if DH and I can get to this before the 13th and just let him soak it up then explain why the name means so much to me etc. Keomi Elizabeth could be a lovely compromise.

theykillhorses I looked at your link, what about Morgan or Vivian, from some of the paintings (Medea may be going a bit too far) you would still know the connection and the names are a little more recognised, although not common.

amck5700 Thu 03-Jan-13 12:40:04

sausage - I though Vivienne too when i looked at the link - isn't Vivian a boys name?

amck yes, I think it is, had another look at the link and the painting is called Vivi*e*n so somewhere between the two.

amck5700 Thu 03-Jan-13 12:59:33

lol - great minds think alike though smile

I have met a male Vivian - he was known as Viv though and I don't think he liked it much, didn't help that he was a quiet, delicate looking guy.

lockets Thu 03-Jan-13 13:02:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

amck5700 Thu 03-Jan-13 13:06:22

maybe it's time for a Vivian revival - shame I won't be having any more babies grin

AlwaysHoldingOnToStarbug Thu 03-Jan-13 13:18:46

Be careful about your instincts! My friend was
Convinced all the way through her first pregnancy that baby was a girl. She had girls names picked out, didn't even think of boys names, refused to believe it could be a boy. You can guess what happens next!

I'm so glad I never had a girl as I hate the name dh insisted he would name his daughter! Luckily his DD was born before he'd heard he horrible name.

lockets Thu 03-Jan-13 13:22:47

GrumpySod Thu 03-Jan-13 14:50:26

read the post properly lockets, Always is glad she didn't have a naming problem.

OP: I wondered about letting him choose a traditional name for birth certificate that you could make a snazzy NN out of, like Dani for Danielle, or Eddie for Edith, Cazza for Catherine, etc. And let the child choose in long run what she prefers.

lockets Thu 03-Jan-13 18:23:07

Harrysmummysarah1 Thu 03-Jan-13 19:53:35

I'm a lover of traditional names to . I love names like William, Alexander, Daniel, Catherine, Martha etc.
My husband wanted a Sammie, Dannie and a Lucy. All of which sound to page 3, chavy etc (no offence to anyone with those names) personal taste.
In the end we did find names we both liked.
Martha
Darcey
Harry

How about for you
Verity
Kathleen
Eloise
Lois
Thea
Gabriella
Demi
Vivienne?
Would you agree on anyone of those
Btw i love Hannah

SantasENormaSnob Thu 03-Jan-13 22:01:12

Sorry op but your names are awful imo.

Think you will both have to compromise.

alm12 Thu 03-Jan-13 23:54:32

Keomi is nice, suggest that with Elizabeth as middle name?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now