If I like it, DP doesn't - and vice versa!

(49 Posts)
Dysgu Mon 31-Dec-12 20:13:33

I am 24 weeks pregnant - we don't know whether it is a boy or a girl.

We already have two girls (Florence Amelie and Gabriella Eve) although neither of them had names until after they arrived.

I know lots of names I don't want to use - for a whole host of reasons, including but not limited to and in no particular order:

- no alliteration (surname starts with 'L' and is 2 syllables)
- no unisex names
- no 'American sounding' names
- no 'modern' names
- not the name of a child/person we already know

I have Welsh/English heritage.
DP has Italian/English heritage.
We live in England.

Names I like (in no particular order):
Romilly
Hebe
Cece/Cecily
Iris
Edie/Edith
Agatha
Sylvie
Evan
Rex

Names DP likes:
Alice (his Nan's name)
Harry
Ethan

Other names suggested by DDs:
Molly
Jessica
Rosa/Rosie
Emma
Jack
Oliver
Sebastian

All ideas welcome... you can see that I have already given this a lot more thought than DP.

Dysgu Fri 04-Jan-13 17:25:46

I am really liking Celestine but would emphasise the first syllable, I think, like celebrate!

Went through all lists with DP last night - apart from a few he doesn't like, all the others are 'fine' hmm

emsyj Thu 03-Jan-13 21:21:07

Ooooh I like Aurelia too - it means 'golden haired'. The French version Aurelie is gorgeous, but would be mis-spelled and mispronounced all over the show (including by me blush).

Cressida is CRESS (like in egg & cress) - i (as in 'in') - da (as in dad) - I think! So yes, I think your pronunciation is right.

I've never really thought about where the emphasis should sit with Celestine - I would pronounce it with the emphasis on the second 'e' but I don't know if that's right...

Dysgu Thu 03-Jan-13 21:04:24

Vivi I think I could happily use any of the names on your lists smile and some of them have appeared on previous lists we drew up with earlier pregnancies so might have to see what DP thinks.

Emsy I am rather liking Celestine instead of Celeste too. Would the emphasis be on the first syllable with Celestine as opposed to the second with Celeste. I think I would still use Cece at home...

With Cressida, where is the emphasis? I like the shorter Cressy for home but need to know how to say the full name properly; I am thinking on the first CRESS - i - da.

Kelou I love the name Aurelia (and some others in your lists) but worry that if she shortened it to 'Aurie' it would sound too like Florrie which is what our Florence tends to go by.

amck I quite like the initial being set, for example but am not sure what my parents would choose as names if they got to have a go! With initials, and totally coincidentally, my DDs first names go F then G so i have some silly idea that DC3 should start with H. Then... middle names: DD1 is FA and DD2 is GE so it appears we are working through the vowels so DC3 should have the initial HI...

I am one of three girls and we all have names that were in the top 10 in the early 70s when we were born so I guess my DMum would pick very popular current names. I am not sure what she thinks of our choices but I know she struggles to like Dnephew's middle name which is Arthur. We also did a house swap with a family with DDs names Agnes and Beatrice (two names I loved until they became 'attached' to other people we knew) and DM thought those were 'unusual' hmm

kelou75 Thu 03-Jan-13 13:40:40

Boy's; Arlo,Barnaby,Bertie,Reuben,Digby,Toby,Tobias, Sebastian, Alistair.

Girls; Oriana, Jemima, Ophelia, Kitty, Angelica, Harriet, Beatrice,Elodie,Aurelia,Tabitha,Arabella,Martha,Polly,Aida,Claudia,Agatha,Hetty

emsyj Thu 03-Jan-13 13:17:56

Cressida is DH and my 'name ultimo', but it doesn't go very well with our surname (also L* with 2 syllables, funnily enough!) I am due in 4 weeks and we have no real shortlist, but we are both liking Astrid, Imogen, Hazel and for a boy, Henning...

DD is called Ruth, which suited us both in the sense that you rarely meet a little Ruth these days, yet it's a name everyone knows and can spell.

I like Oliver, but am put off by its popularity. I also like Sebastian but have a good friend with a DS Sebastian which rules that out. I know a 5 year old Peter, it's a great name and little used these days it seems.

I also love love love the name Celestine but it clashes in a horrible way with our surname so it's not an option, sadly. Celeste is beautiful too.

ViviPru Thu 03-Jan-13 10:51:28

Hi Dysgu. Yur names are bang in line with my favourites so I thought my 'short' lists might help...

Alder
Aubrey
Bryn
Cassius
Clarence
Douglas
Efryn
Elfyn
Ezra
Ferdy
Gethin
Henry
Idris
Jasper
Malin
Murray
Owen
Percy
Rupert
Solomon
Soren
Sylvan
Wilbur
Alder
Aubrey

Betsan
Bryher
Brynelle
Celeste
Cecily
Estelle
Hester
Lillian
Marit
Maude
Merryn
Merle
Malin
Romilly
Seren
Sylvie
Teifi
Violet
Vivian

amck5700 Thu 03-Jan-13 09:16:44

Cressida is quite nice - not ithe type of name we would have in my background, but the boys loved the Cressida Cowell books smile

I don't think it matters how it flows with the middle name - apart from at their Christening or Wedding, when are they ever going to be read out like that?

amck5700 Thu 03-Jan-13 09:13:35

In some parts or maybe religions in India, the letter the name should begin with is determined by the day (time?) of birth so that gives you a starting point - don't think they have to use it though. In some families it seems to be that the grandparents get first dibs on naming the baby. I worked with a chap who's grandparents didn't live nearby and no telephone, so news of his arrival was sent to them by post. His parents named him, then a couple of weeks later a letter arrived from his granddad giving him an entirely different name, so it was changed!

My mum is okay about my elder son's name but doesn't like my younger son's name so god knows what he would have ended up as.

Dysgu Thu 03-Jan-13 08:51:41

Names names names... boy, girl, boy, girl... perhaps it would be easier if you just named the child from the list provided for the day it is born (is there a country where they do that?)

What does anyone think of Cressida (I was reading Hello at the hospital yesterday!)?

Also, how does Celeste Alice L* go - I think it is a bit 'clunky' but not sure that matters as the two names are not often used together really.

As for a boy amck hmm

Hedwig3 Wed 02-Jan-13 21:04:24

Yippee, I did something right today!

amck5700 Wed 02-Jan-13 21:00:56

......you know it will be a boy now don't you?! wink

Dysgu Wed 02-Jan-13 20:50:34

hedwig I was thinking that - it was already on my list originally but I hadn't come up with the 'real' name to fit to it! Is looking like a real possibility!

Hedwig3 Wed 02-Jan-13 20:46:46

The Celeste that I know is often called Cece at home.

Dysgu Wed 02-Jan-13 20:28:04

Thank you to everyone for sharing your ideas. I worry that we will be dragging this out for a few more months!

Dysgu Wed 02-Jan-13 20:27:27

slowloris I like those shorter versions of Celeste. It seems to be a name we both like at the moment but we do tend to shorten DD1 and DD2 some of the time so it would be nice to have options. I think I am hedging towards Letty as a favourite... only now I have a 'thing' about shorter versions not starting with the same initial. Hmm, I guess I am the awkward one!

deathMM I rather like Euan too - I wonder what DP would think.

I also read about Blake on another thread today and rather liked it.

HelpOneAnother I like several of your Italian heritage name but Alicia and Julia have already been used within the family, Francesca (whilst lovely) would be an initial class with DD1, I am currently teaching a Cara and (again, whilst it is a lovely name) is rather similar to Dniece and I am not sure DP would go for the others , although I do rather like Chiara.

I am going to see what he thinks of Bryn...

SlowlorisIncognito Wed 02-Jan-13 20:12:54

For Celeste, you could shorten it to Lesty, Letty, or Lessy, or Cel if those are too girly.

Alice is a good middle name.

HelpOneAnother Wed 02-Jan-13 14:04:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HelpOneAnother Wed 02-Jan-13 13:57:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DeathMetalMum Wed 02-Jan-13 11:37:01

Euan? Quite similar to Evan and Ethan. I only know of one.

Dysgu Wed 02-Jan-13 08:01:28

Gosh, choosing a name is such hard work - no wonder we have never done it before until after the baby arrives!

Mentioned Celeste to DP - he liked it but I am now wondering how it would work with our surname and also it seems such a 'big' name to attach to a 'little' baby although I know the baby does not stay small for too long.

I am also liking Piers, Byron and don't mind the shortening of Gregor(y) to Greg although not sure how it sounds with the girls' names.

I rather like Briany though might go with Bryony as a spelling.

Thanks Dont for the information regarding Alice as a possibility for the royal baby - that should be a good argument for DP to agree to not using it although I am happy for it to be a middle name.

I still like Iris and I rather like Idris although I know my dad has a 'thing' about us using particularly Welsh names outside Wales! (Not that we ever consulted him on the names of DD1 and DD2 - and DNiece has a very Welsh name and does not live in Wales - the only people who seem to struggle with it are our Welsh relatives!)

Also like Bryn??

DontmindifIdo Tue 01-Jan-13 21:32:20

Iris is a lovely name, rather underused but not 'odd' and not hard to spell! Can you not talk your DH round to that? She would need a long middle name to make it 'flow' with her sisters' names.

I also like Ethan from his list.

I would avoid Alice this year for the simple reason I thought it was the bookies favourite if the royal baby turns out to be a girl. Now, they might not have a girl and might not name her Alice if they do, but any name the Cambridges go with will jump to the top of the name list for 2013 and you might find she's one of 4 in her class... (not a bad thing in some ways, but having been one of 4 of my name in my class, I'd rather not have my DD repeat that)

Would Rex be short for anything? It does sound nickname-y.

I wouldn't worry that Gregor is too Scottish, although he would be known as Greg.

Varya Tue 01-Jan-13 20:42:44

I know a young man called Bryon and I think that is a great name for a boy with Briany for a girl and Warwick to me is a lovely name for boy, when he becomes a man!

amck5700 Tue 01-Jan-13 20:41:25

Ooh yes thank you - so very helpful hmm

If you want to call people names then feel free - I give in, you win - you are absolutely hilarious and I am a typical dour Scot.

countrykitten Tue 01-Jan-13 20:37:44

As I said - enjoy your evening being dour. Hope that helps?

amck5700 Tue 01-Jan-13 20:35:45

Country - there's helpful and helpful - I couldn't honestly give a rat's arse whether we like the same names or not, but you have criticised everything that anyone else has said without contributing any suggestions yourself - if it was meant to come across in a joking fashion, it doesn't - hope that helps?

OP - I know a lovely young Piers with a sister Gabrielle which is why I suggested it. I actually thought about Pierce but thought that may be a bit too modern with your other names....and Piers seemed a bit more exotic given the varied background of yourself and your OH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now