Is this an accepted spelling?

(32 Posts)
signuptoday Sun 30-Dec-12 17:44:38

Hi, we are considering names for DD and one of the ones we both like is Ellena spelt like that. Does anyone know if this is an accepted spelling? I don't want to give DD a 'creatively' spelt name!

SecretSantaFix Sun 30-Dec-12 17:45:40

it is a creative spelling.

Do you mean Eleanor? or Elena?

Have known Elena's, but not Ellen sorry!

Elena's obvs!

Ellena's... If spell check is auto correcting that many times it must tell you something!

mrz Sun 30-Dec-12 17:57:13
SleighbellsRingInYourLife Sun 30-Dec-12 17:58:44

I know an Elina (Ell-inn-a).

FrostyTheSnowSlut Sun 30-Dec-12 18:17:44

I think Eleanor is the standard British spelling but then I've known an Elena and an Elina but both were foreign and that seems to be the standard spelling in lots of places.

I think the extra L is unnecessary. Just go with Elena?

Also all the spellings I've listed haven't been autocorrected, the one you have has.

KnifetyForks Sun 30-Dec-12 18:23:21

I thought Elena was pronounced 'Elaine-a'?

SamSmalaidh Sun 30-Dec-12 18:24:58

How are you pronouncing it? El-en-a or El-ay-na?

TheSecondComing Sun 30-Dec-12 18:27:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

toomuch2young Sun 30-Dec-12 18:29:29

I know an Elonor and an Elenor!! It seems Eleanor is becoming a name with a hundred spellings. If you like it go for it, it's a pretty name.

TheMonster Sun 30-Dec-12 18:30:13

I would have thought it was pronounced el-ay-na as opposed to it being a misspelling of Eleanor.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 30-Dec-12 18:32:27

I've never seen that spelling before.

Ellen
Elena
Eleanor
Elinor

Which are you going for?

MrsWolowitz Sun 30-Dec-12 18:45:07

I think it looks made up.

Eleanor looks beautiful so if you like the name why not use the correct spelling?

mrz Sun 30-Dec-12 19:32:06

If you put Ellena into google search it comes up with a whole host of Ellenas

signuptoday Mon 31-Dec-12 16:33:26

Thanks for the replies. I think we'll avoid this spelling then. We haven't quite decided on a name for DD yet and it was just one idea DH and I are considering. We also like Ellen (and prefer it to Eleanor/ Elinor) but I know some don't like it as they think it sounds too plain.

forgetmenots Mon 31-Dec-12 17:04:22

I love Ellen (probably not helpful!)

So classy.

heidipi Mon 31-Dec-12 17:12:03

My DD is an Ellen! I'm too biased to be helpful, but I'm so pleased we chose it now. I think it's pretty without being fussy, haven't met any other little Ellens at all but it's familiar enough that everyone can spell it (apart from occasionally people think it's Helen with a dropped H). And I like the thought that out 2yo sticky toddler is classy!

GreatCongas Mon 31-Dec-12 17:17:18

I know a welsh elena but never come across ellena

bluebiscuit Mon 31-Dec-12 17:19:08

I think Ellena is a minefield of difficult spellings and pronounciations.

Ellen is a lovely name that is easy to use and pretty. I would definitely go for this rather than Ellena.

forgetmenots Mon 31-Dec-12 17:46:50

grin heidipi, I'm sure she will thank you when she is older!

Only Elena I know is El-ay-na, and I know an Eleana pronounced the same way. Like Elin too (would assume Scandinavian heritage possibly). Ellen definitely my favourite (and like Nell as a potential nn as well).

nickelbabylyinginamanger Mon 31-Dec-12 17:53:45

i don't see the problemn of ellena
if you like it.

ps the traditional English way is Elinor.
eleanor is French

TheApprentice Mon 31-Dec-12 17:55:07

I had an Ellena in my class once. Nobody had any trouble pronouncing it.

mrz Mon 31-Dec-12 17:59:36

It's a perfectly acceptable spelling judging by the number of people with the name. Just because MSword doesn't recognise it means very little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now