Cold feet on Fionnuala

(75 Posts)
Teapig Sat 29-Dec-12 11:09:06

DH and I thought we had our name pretty much agreed, we were choosing between these three options:
Fionnuala Olive Bo
Fionnnuala Ottitilie Bo
Fionnuala Romilly Bo
But then I got cold feet on Fionnuala. I like it but don't the shortened versions of Fionnuala much, Nula and Finn are a bit too masculine for me. We thought we'd use the nickname Lula but now I'm not so sure.

Other names I like are:
Sophie (but DH hates it)
Tabitha (likely go be shortened to Tabby and my niece is Abbey)
Ottilie (likely to be shortened to Tilly and other niece is Lilly)
Isabel (but close friend has pipped me to the post)

Any thoughts on Fionnuala or any of the above would be great!

TheSecondComing Sat 29-Dec-12 18:57:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SleighbellsRingInYourLife Sat 29-Dec-12 18:59:31

No, it's pronounced Fun-oola

TidyDancer Sat 29-Dec-12 19:04:36

Olive is lovely, but Fionnuala is awful imo. Not a fan of Ottilie either tbh.

CotherMuckingFunt Sat 29-Dec-12 19:09:53

I thought you were going to call your child Fee-own-yoo-ah-la. I like it now I know how to say it. But I prefer Ottilie.

AppleOgies Sat 29-Dec-12 19:11:56

The one I know pronounces it Fin-ooo-la. Not Fun... Fin.

noblegiraffe Sat 29-Dec-12 19:17:54

What about Fi (Fee) as a shortening? I only know Fiona's (which is nicer, IMO) but they've all been Fi.

Croccy1979 Sat 29-Dec-12 19:19:46

Recently worked with someone called Fionnuala and no one at work could pronounce or spell it. Depends whether that bothers you or not I suppose. It would annoy me!

KindleMum Sat 29-Dec-12 19:23:48

I love Fionnuala. Always have.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 29-Dec-12 19:25:37

I would avoid using a name that is difficult to say/spell in the country you live. If you plan to live/bring her up in England, choose a name that English people can say/spell.

magoosmom Sat 29-Dec-12 19:33:38

I'm Irish, Fionnuala is a beautiful name, I definitely would not put it in the same category as Gertrude! Both Fionnualas I know shorten it to Fi.

Teapig Sat 29-Dec-12 20:00:59

I think it's pronounced Fin-oola. There are different spelling variatons which may make it easier for people to spell but if we go with it I expect we'd go with the spelling Fionnuala. I'm not actually a fan of the name Fiona and don't really like Fi, there's just something about Fionnuala we both like.

DH loves it but I keep veering from Fionnuala to Ottilie and back. Oh gosh this naming thing is hard.

SleighbellsRingInYourLife Sat 29-Dec-12 20:31:09

No, it's a broad vowel sound - fun-oola

That's why I prefer Finola.

Sometimes anglicised names are nicer.

AppleOgies Sat 29-Dec-12 20:40:29

The one I know definitely pronounces it Fin... Not Fun.

I really wouldn't give this name to a child of mine. If none of us can agree how it is pronounced or how it should be spelt then the poor girl is going to
Have it for the rest of her life.

What about Fenella? It's close but less complicated.

magoosmom Sat 29-Dec-12 20:43:29

Finn oola is the most common pronunciation in Ireland,

Heavywheezing Sat 29-Dec-12 20:50:54

I was going to say
Do you have Irish heritage, if not leave alone

What's your surname? Because you have initials of F O

So you have F O BO

Really give a child's name like BO, even though it's said bow it's still BO.

CandyCrush Sat 29-Dec-12 20:56:31

blush At fionuala. Really not a. Fun name for a kid to try and spell etc.

If you are Irish then that's ok, but otherwise I'd leave we'll alone...

As for similar names to your nieces, that's really not an issue. My nephew and my DD have the same shortened name. It's never been an issue.

CandyCrush Sat 29-Dec-12 20:57:07

Argh! I can't even spell it blush Fionnuala?

onedev Sat 29-Dec-12 23:11:54

I'm Irish & would never put Fionnuala on a par with Gertrude (which I don't like!).

I do also love Niamh, so think we have similar tastes.

If you're going with an Irish name, then please keep a traditional spelling!

Startail Sat 29-Dec-12 23:43:14

Ottile is lovely, DD is friends with a very cute Ottie (her real name isn't Ottile and I don't quite know why she's NN Ottie, but it really suits her).

I can't get my dyslexic brain round Fionella ?

Fiona Ottile is probably far to dull.

DaughterofLir Sun 30-Dec-12 02:27:58

I'm a Fionnuala living in England, and I get a lot of compliments (beautiful/unusual etc). This thread is not representative - in fact, it's the first time I've heard anyone say anything uncomplimentary about it.

It's not quite "Finn-oo-la" though - the first "a" is sort of hinted at or half pronounced (compare Niamh, which is halfway between "Neeve" and "Nee-uv"). Easier to pronounce if you're from Ireland, maybe.

DaughterofLir Sun 30-Dec-12 02:28:57

(I namechanged for that, obviously...)

Teapig Sun 30-Dec-12 10:02:47

Thanks for all the comments. daughteroflir I imagine people find it a difficult name to spell in the UK, has that ever caused problems or become frustrating?

My grandparents were Irish but I haven't really had a strong connection with Ireland. DH's family on the other hand have a strong Irish connection and he would love an Irish name. We both have Irish surnames.

Interesting points on the pronunciation. I had always thought it was pronoucned Fin-oo-la. I think if we choose it we will go with the traditional spelling as other variations look a bit phonetic.

To be honest my favourite name is Isobel/Isabel but one of my really close friends has an Isabel and DH feels it would be difficult to give our daughter the same name. Fionnuala and Ottilie are my second choices, I think Fionnuala has the edge for us but everyone's thoughts are really helpful.

vesti23 Sun 30-Dec-12 10:41:43

Love Fionnuala !!!

onedev Sun 30-Dec-12 11:02:52

I think Isabel is also lovely, but its very popular currently - there are at least 6 in my sons small infant school & more in my younger sons Pre school but I've never heard a Fionnuala in England at all.

Teapig Sun 30-Dec-12 11:34:32

Thanks vesti and onedev. Good point about how popular Isobel is these days, would ideally like our little one to have something that's a bit unique.

We have three names in the running now all of which we'd give a family nickname. I know lots of people don't like nicknames but we do and with my family everyone has a nickname version of their name. So this is the new shortlist:

Fionnuala Olive (nickname could be Lula)
Ottilie Saffron (nickname could be Ottie, Tilly or Lottie)
Isla Pru (nickname could be Isy) - not sure about Pru as a middle name but have gone off our original 'Bo'.

Thanks for everyone's comments, they've been really useful for making me realise what I want from our name choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now