Alaric

(44 Posts)
Alisvolatpropiis Wed 26-Dec-12 18:36:46

Thoughts on Alaric? It means "ruler of all" and I've become rather taken with it.

I'm not pregnant btw. Just curious.

ItsaTIARA Wed 26-Dec-12 18:42:37

King of the Visigoths, sacked Rome. Personally I wouldn't, (would be very weird if he did grow up to be a Goth grin) but I've heard worse.

FrostyTheSnowSlut Wed 26-Dec-12 18:42:37

Think it's awful. It just doesn't roll of the tongue and I don't know if its that its reminding me of the word of allergic but it sounds like some sort of horrendous medieval affliction.

Sorry, but at least it doesn't unbundle like you had that much need for it right now.

FrostyTheSnowSlut Wed 26-Dec-12 18:43:22

Sound. I don't know how that became unbundle.

I rather like it. But am reading about the Visigoths at the moment!

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 26-Dec-12 18:47:48

I'm reading about them too! grin

I think I might put it on a list of solely to convince DP the names I really really like are totally normal as he often calls them pretentious angry

ItsaTIARA Wed 26-Dec-12 19:21:31

Ooh, good tactics Alis - try Athelstan and Otho as well - suddenly your actual picks of Tarquin and Jago (or whatever) will seem like solid pillars of sanity.

jessjessjess Wed 26-Dec-12 19:24:52

I have a friend called this. I would recommend avoiding it...

Bit too Vampire Diaries for me.. sorry!

MoelFammau Wed 26-Dec-12 21:17:44

It's the name of a German/French friend of mine. I like it a lot. It's fairly normal in Germany...

Rhubarbgarden Thu 27-Dec-12 19:52:10

Pretentious.

ViviPru Thu 27-Dec-12 21:04:15

It sounds like an ingredient

sarahseashell Thu 27-Dec-12 21:27:26

celeriac. No from me wink

I like it, but my first thought was to wonder of you were a Vampire Diaries fan.

Of? if, that should have been...

FaLaLaLaLauraPalmer Thu 27-Dec-12 21:42:29

Considering the history, it's a bit like calling your kid Attila or Adolf.

WinklyVersusTheZombies Thu 27-Dec-12 21:45:21

Had an amazing boss with this name. Incredible leader and top bloke.

Still dunno if I would use it...

nickelbabylyinginamanger Thu 27-Dec-12 21:47:24

i actually know an alaric
he's in his 20s andis very well thought of by people.

he's good with bike maintenance.

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 27-Dec-12 22:59:59

Rhubarb the question is,is it more pretentious than the other names I like my DP has deemed to be so.

Though rather taken with the name, I don't think I could use it on an a child.

Didn't come across as being as bad as calling your child Adolf judging by the book I'm reading though hmm

ripsishere Thu 27-Dec-12 23:11:18

Sounds like garlic to me. Not what I'd choose. OTOH, I only have one girl. Had she been a boy, Duncan was what she'd have been called.

Lionsntigersnbears Sat 29-Dec-12 18:34:34

I know 2 Alarics and they are both historians smile

vesti23 Sun 30-Dec-12 12:45:48

Dislike the name

delilah88 Sun 30-Dec-12 18:50:18

I don't like this but think it'd be hilarious with nickname Ricky!

notnowImreading Sun 30-Dec-12 18:53:58

I know one - amazed that there seem to be so many of us who do. I wonder whether we know the same ones. He says that he had to be quite naughty at school and good at fighting to live down the name. Kind of like a boy named Sue.

CelticPromise Sun 30-Dec-12 18:59:00

I know of one, or OH does. His siblings also have (ahem) interesting names. All together they sort of sound like they were chosen from My Big Book of weird Unusual Baby Names.

I don't mind it, and I don't love it. If you love it why not? It shortens nicely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now