Thomas if last name includes Cook?

(18 Posts)

As it says. LOVE the name Thomas above all others, but Cook is the second name in a double-barrelled surname. Years of ridicule or will the other last name make up for it?

Geranium3 Fri 07-Dec-12 18:32:19

sorry i would still thinnk of thomas cook

PickledInAPearTree Fri 07-Dec-12 18:32:25

You can book it if you Thomas cook it.

Hehe thanks - need honest opinions so I can put the name behind me instead of wondering what if. DP didn't even see the connection until I made him say the whole name, prob gave me false hope grin

newby2 Fri 07-Dec-12 18:38:42

Nope definitely not I'm afraid.

neski36 Fri 07-Dec-12 18:41:23

Love the name Thomas nn Tom but had same issue as surname is Jones, couldn't do it to ds.

LilyVonSchtupp Fri 07-Dec-12 18:44:30

No. Thomas Cook does not have good associations (horrible cheap flights, rude reps and package holidays). Also, Thomas is a lovely name but everyone is called it.

Mind you, I do know someone whose kid was James Mumssurname-Mason. But I love James Mason so thought it was perfectly acceptable.

FriggFRIGG Fri 07-Dec-12 20:05:38

Nope.sorry.

kitsmummy Fri 07-Dec-12 20:19:00

beyond ridiculous i'm afraid

squoosh Fri 07-Dec-12 20:36:52

Nope.

Ok, thoroughly turned off it now, success! Definitely a case of baby brain making me come up with that one grin

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 07-Dec-12 21:46:07

Bless you Op smile

I won't bother adding my opinion on Thomas Cook as you've changed your mind!

On the plus side,as your surname doesn't have an s at the end,so many names go with it! It's a very versatile surname.

PickledInAPearTree Fri 07-Dec-12 22:13:13

How about captain?

Yika Fri 07-Dec-12 22:19:11

I actually don't see the problem. Thomas and cook are both very nice ordinary names, there must be millions of them. The brand wouldn't put me off. And maybe they'd even give you a special discount on his first holiday to magaluf. :D and if you have a double barrelled surname ... No one will make the connection.

katiecubs Fri 07-Dec-12 22:40:05

Just no.

QuietNinjaChristmasSpecial Fri 07-Dec-12 22:48:26

I know someone called Thomas Cooke. He's been ribbed about it but nothing major.

SneezySnatcher Sat 08-Dec-12 08:55:02

I feel for you. My favourite name ever for a boy is William (Will) but our surname is very, very common (S**th). I can't inflict it on this DC when he's born! I know a little Grace Kelly and, although its a beautiful name, everyone does a double-take when they hear it.

GinSoakedMu1berryLush Sun 09-Dec-12 10:00:22

oh no! don't.

Grace Kelly is a lot to live up to but I think I could hear that and not even twig immediately. I bet there are loads of Grace Kellys in Ireland.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now