Calling teachers .. what ate naughty boy names?

(130 Posts)
MyNewVenture Tue 04-Dec-12 17:18:23

Middle class naughty boy names rather than 'Shane' type names. For non teachers, who are the naughty boys in your child's class?

3b1g Tue 04-Dec-12 19:04:43

This thread reminds me of how difficult it was to think of names for all three of our boys: every time we found a name we liked, either DM or DMil (both teachers) would tell horror stories of all the badly behaved children they'd known with that name.

usualsuspect3 Tue 04-Dec-12 19:07:23

So teachers cringe at certain names do they? Yeah that's really light hearted.

But that's my point. How on earth can it be lighthearted if teachers cringe when they hear a childs name? Without even meeting the child?

It's ridiculous.

MyNewVenture Tue 04-Dec-12 19:10:27

Poppy, you are being naive if you think that some teachers and others do not think like this. You only have to spend a very small amount of time on this section of Mumsnet that people worry about the impression a name will give to others. You may not have been around when the link to the thread on the teachers' website was here, but it was very shocking that a huge number of teachers had posted.

And I agree with the other poster, read Freakonomics.

DowntonSprouts Tue 04-Dec-12 19:11:51

Are you trying to avoid giving your child a "naughty" name?

FWIW my mum was a teacher in the 1940s. She has dementia and her memory is very poor. However she has a photo of one of the classes she taught and she can name all the children.

There is one little boy that she points to and always says he was a naughty boy. His name was Warren grin

X posted with usual

Op, that's why I am glad I don't spend any time on this topic.

colditz Tue 04-Dec-12 19:14:59

Daniel is a very naughty name, they are all naughty. Now, I love that name and called my second child by that name because I didn't think the naughty name thing was true.

One of the Daniels I went to school with walked past once whilst my own Daniel was mid mega tantrum. He guffawed and said "you KNEW that was the naughty name, what did you call him that to? It's your own fault!"

All the Daniels I was at school with we're naughty, as were all the Darrens.

HenriettaTurkey Tue 04-Dec-12 19:16:39

Jack
Ryan
Rhys
Lewis
Aiden
Callum
Sean

Never met a Rhys I didn't love though!

grin

SweetMingePie Tue 04-Dec-12 19:17:58

Colditz, I have a Daniel and when he as born a few said "oh he will be a naughty one when he is older, all Daniels are". grin he does have his moments, but he is far from naughty.

Now Harry, there is a naughty child's name...

IsaXMASbelleRinging Tue 04-Dec-12 19:18:35

Teacher's cringe at lots of things...they are human. People get judged by their name all the time, don't tell me you don't get different images in your head for different names.

Little Tarquin probably looks very different to little Shane in our minds.

Of course in reality teachers will get to know the child for who they really are, but first impressions have to be made when reading the new class list for the first time, teachers are people too.

grin Colditz

Greensleeves Tue 04-Dec-12 19:19:00

they're fab though, little boys with a bit of a swagger and a glint in their eye. I love 'em all to bits.

nobody is talking about actual deliquency, surely?

maillotjaune Tue 04-Dec-12 19:19:36

Well I've fucked up then as all my boys' names begin with a J and someone upthread has said that all names beginning with a J are naughty. hmm

IsaXMASbelleRinging Tue 04-Dec-12 19:20:59

I knew a VERY naughty Warren too!

Agree about Daniels, always bright and cheeky!

colditz Tue 04-Dec-12 19:23:31

I think it comes of having a song with their own name n sung to them all the time .... " oh Danny boy...."

IsaXMASbelleRinging Tue 04-Dec-12 19:23:55

On the other hand good boys names are Benjamin, James, and Samuel.

IsaXMASbelleRinging Tue 04-Dec-12 19:24:57

Christophers can swing either way!

TreadOnTheCracks Tue 04-Dec-12 19:27:26

Jordan, Jack, Dillon, Mckenzie, Freddie, Josh,

usualsuspect3 Tue 04-Dec-12 19:28:39

Nice to know teachers were cringing at my DSs name.

SweetMingePie Tue 04-Dec-12 19:28:51

Haha! DH has sung that to him since he was born. They do deserve their own song.

CindySherman Tue 04-Dec-12 19:29:10

Kai

ggirl Tue 04-Dec-12 19:29:25

Definitely Callum

my ds' name is on here..I think I'll survive...grin ffs some people take things so seriously

ErikNorseman Tue 04-Dec-12 19:32:57

perhaps parents that like certain names have a similar parenting style?

Translated = perhaps chavvy/working class parents are all a bit shit at parenting...

usualsuspect3 Tue 04-Dec-12 19:33:00

Well FFS, Sorry, I don't find these threads funny.

IsaXMASbelleRinging Tue 04-Dec-12 19:45:08

He must be REALLY naught Usual grin

FelicityWasSanta Tue 04-Dec-12 20:03:18

If you don't personally find it funny, perhaps you should stop reading it!?

I can tell the difference between a name a person.

Fwiw I currently teach a lovely Luke, a lovely Jack and a very sweet Lucas.

I know an extremely boring (and not naughty) Daniel, and a very kind Harry.

The associations with 'naughtiness' are loose, fluid and lighthearted. But they do exist.

Current 'naughty' names include, James, Christopher, Archie and Jasper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now