Calling teachers .. what ate naughty boy names?

(130 Posts)
MyNewVenture Tue 04-Dec-12 17:18:23

Middle class naughty boy names rather than 'Shane' type names. For non teachers, who are the naughty boys in your child's class?

Lebkuchenlover Tue 04-Dec-12 18:26:40

If you google it you'll find quite a few studies done on this topic. The bbc news had an article recently. Can't remember all the names but Callum and Connor were on there, I think.

Of course names don't make you naughty but perhaps parents that like certain names have a similar parenting style?

usualsuspect3 Tue 04-Dec-12 18:28:01

I think if you are a teacher who makes assumptions about a child based on their name you are in the wrong job.

nelly83 Tue 04-Dec-12 18:30:25

haha Cheerful Yank - my bro is called Matthew and I know exactly what you mean!!
I am a teacher.I wouldn't say these were naughty names (I dont like saying that) but the following names have provided me some challenges over the years! Sometimes the 'naughty' children are actually the best children to teach as they have amazing personalities- and they always the most memorable!
Mckenzie
Ethan
Any boys names beginning with J! especiallyJake
Oliver
Charlie
Harry
Matthew!
George
Cory
Billy
Dylan
Lewis

There are exceptions to these (although not many!) I definitely dont think social class plays a part at all. It is extremely difficult thinking of a name when u teach as so many have negative connotations. however, there are some amazing children out there and we shouldn't forget it!!

OP hope this helps!

AllOverIt Tue 04-Dec-12 18:31:29

Luke...

usual thank god I am not the only person who thinks that.

I was beginning to wonder.

Here, have a wine with me grin

Greensleeves Tue 04-Dec-12 18:38:08

I think it is daft to expect teachers or anyone else not to notice patterns - if the same thing happens over and over again, one begins to anticipate it. That's just how the human mind works, surely?

But we should (and I am sure most do) make sure we bear in mind that making assumptions is wrong and try hard not to do it. And you can guarantee that if you do cave into your prejudices, you will fall flat on your face at some point.

I know a Rhys and a Matthew who are the most delightful well-mannered and considerate little boys.

FelicityWasSanta Tue 04-Dec-12 18:38:25

I think if you are a teacher who makes assumptions about a child based on their name you are in the wrong job.

True.

Also, If you are a teacher who honestly can't remember the name of children who have been naughty in your presence... Your memory isn't good enough to be a teacher.

So I am adding my lighthearted tuppence, with the caveat that I know all children with these names aren't 'naughty' and I also know that being 'naughty ' at school doesn't automatically make you a bad person.

Jake
Jack
Nathan
Liam
Clyde
Kristoff
Michael
Jordan

Ps- more than one of those names also features in my own family on perfectly nice well behaved children....

ThePoppyAndTheIvy Tue 04-Dec-12 18:44:44

Well to answer the actual question asked in the thread title - was it Godzilla? Or a very hungry crocodile?

usualsuspect3 Tue 04-Dec-12 18:46:16

Horrible thread. I don't give a toss if it's supposed to be lighthearted.

IsaXMASbelleRinging Tue 04-Dec-12 18:50:17

Luke is definitely a naughty boy name! (and Lucas)

SminkoPinko Tue 04-Dec-12 18:50:59

One of my children's names is mentioned several times here and in the metro article and the others not once! And he is definitely the naughtiest of my 3 in many ways.

It's not bloody lighthearted if someone reading this thinks they've done their child a terrible injustice and made the teachers look at them as "naughty" because they chose a naughty name.

I am actually shocked that anyone would ask?!

Maybe this is why I never post in this topic?

luke is definitley a naughty boys name

No. No it isn't. FFS, children do not become naughty because they are called luke

IsaXMASbelleRinging Tue 04-Dec-12 18:55:18

Do you have a naughty boy usual ?

As if teachers see a good child as naughty just because of their name! It IS lighthearted.

FrustratedSycamoreSnowflake Tue 04-Dec-12 18:57:58

Alfie's are always cheeky and rather funny IMO.
Never come across a "naughty" Luke. hmm

usualsuspect3 Tue 04-Dec-12 18:58:06

I'm not sure what a naughty boy is TBH.

I do know that it's a stupid thing to say 'Luke is a naughty boys name'

ThePoppyAndTheIvy Tue 04-Dec-12 18:59:05

Actually OP, I know two Jacks who have autism - if I were you I'd avoid that name, you know, just in case hmm.

ThePoppyAndTheIvy Tue 04-Dec-12 19:00:24

Horrid Henry grin. Now that is a naughty boy's name.

MyNewVenture Tue 04-Dec-12 19:00:25

Tantrums no of course no-one thinks a name makes a child naughty [though spot the irony here]. It has, however, been shown (in a light hearted) way over the years that teachers tend to cringe when certain names are mentioned. There was a link many years ago to a very long thread on this subject on the main teacher's mumsnet equivalent.

hmm

MyNewVenture Tue 04-Dec-12 19:01:08

Oh grow up Poppy. Don't try to make this thread into something it isn't.

3b1g Tue 04-Dec-12 19:01:36

Stephen / Steven.
Three different boys, three different years. All lovely boys in their way but always being told off. Almost certainly coincidence though.

IsaXMASbelleRinging Tue 04-Dec-12 19:01:48

HAHA!! This is so funny.

It would be a stupid thing to say if it was meant in a deadly serious, definitive manner. Lighten up will ya?

Naughty is when a child deliberately does things they know they are not supposed to do (well that's the general consensus in my world, who knows in the world of MN though, there is probably no such thing as naughty on here)

legojunkie Tue 04-Dec-12 19:02:09

Oscar,George,Jeremy and Kyle.

ThePoppyAndTheIvy Tue 04-Dec-12 19:03:10

You clearly need to grow up if you think that "naughty" names exist. Really, read your original post back. It sounds stuck up & VERY stupid. My replies are only in the same vain.

FrustratedSycamoreSnowflake Tue 04-Dec-12 19:03:36

I know a few lovely polite Jacks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now