We should start a Names list for Will and Kate, you know save them a bit of time

(121 Posts)
RabidCarrot Mon 03-Dec-12 16:37:33

grin

TigerFeet Mon 03-Dec-12 20:52:43

I'm rather liking slartybartfast's choices.

Excellent names, chosen by excellent people <nods>

indeed tigerfeet grin
excellent wink

i was going for a scottish theme, as this is where they met, isobel/andrew but dont know where the lucy came from

Girl: Margaret Alice affectionatley known as Alice

Boy: Thomas Henry

Earl Spencer (Diana's brother/Will's uncle) and his wife named their daughter, born in July of this year Charlotte, so I think that could potentially put that one off the table. Maybe not, but I suspect they wouldn't want to repeat a family name so soon, even if it is the "other side" of Will's family.

If it is a girl, it won't be Diana, not as a first name, (a) because it's not a traditional royal name and (b) because she'd forever be compared to Diana. William wouldn't want that for his (potential) daughter.

Queen Victoria left one hell of a legacy, and history teaches us she was a formidable monarch, and one wonders if the name is a lot to live up to. If they have a girl first, perhaps this might sway them from the name.

For a girl, my money is on Margaret, after the Queen's beloved sister, or indeed Elizabeth after the Queen. That also honours Catherine and Carole (both have it as their middle name).

For a boy, I think maybe George, or perhaps Alfred.

Colyngbourne Tue 04-Dec-12 10:08:42

"Sadly Richard ii and Richard iii were not people you'd name anyone after!)"

I named my first son after Richard III (as did the actor Richard Armitage's parents) and my other children have names connected with Richard III and his immediate family - read Josephine Tey's "The Daughter of Time" or more recently, Annette Carson's "The Maligned King": 'Richard' deserves a renaissance in the baby-name stakes. (Richard II wasn't as bad a king as is made out, either!)

I suspect for W and K, George will be the name for a boy, possibly Victoria or Alice/Mary for a girl.

Yellowtip Tue 04-Dec-12 10:15:47

Good old scottishmummy smile I really hope they don't pinch a Scottish name at least; it would be terriby faux.

Thanks for the hard hat Glaikit, I think I need it more on the other thread grin.

No disrespect to hg sufferers; I do understand it's dreadful. But does Kate really have it? Does it strike literally overnight at 6 weeks or so? Maybe it does.

ivanapoo Tue 04-Dec-12 10:55:43

Georgiana or Isabella for a girl; Arthur or Albert for a boy.

How about:

Jessica Barbara or

Christopher Issac?

Ebb Tue 04-Dec-12 11:10:51

Alexandra Elizabeth Diana for a girl and George Henry Charles for a boy.

Gwennan Tue 04-Dec-12 11:45:29

For a girl, Adelaide or Augusta.

For a boy, Albert or George.

Bearandcub Tue 04-Dec-12 11:49:30

I've said before but I'll say it again.... Rylan

Barry for a boy

Jean for a girl

Good solid British names (I think, I may be wrong about Jean)

SneezySnatcher Tue 04-Dec-12 18:50:06

Not George. That is what this DC is going to be called. I'm due before her and I will be very annoyed if he ends up as one of five in his class because of Wills and Kate.

<stamps foot>

<goes to find a grip>

Yellowtip Tue 04-Dec-12 19:00:43

Absolutely not Jean. Neither are Scots. Or only minutely.

But is there a family tree of Kate's anywhere around on the internet? It would be so good if they could pick a name from her side instead of going for the obvious names from his. That just reinforces the fact that she's perceived to be inferior because of her background and class. I hope they pick a really unusual name for royals from her side. Something much more striking than Princess Carole or Prince Mike. There must be something even more catchy in her history than that.

IShallCallYouSquishy Tue 04-Dec-12 19:08:43

Surely they can't use Albert? Prince Albert anyone?

Other then that I have no contribution grin

That's a shame, a friend had a very happy cat called Jean. They also had Mike the reasonably content cat too so Prince Mike would be ok.

Failing that I reckon they should go really retro with Alfred, Harold or Stephen. Or Matilda for a girl.

Yellowtip Tue 04-Dec-12 21:29:10

I had a very quick google while I was making supper but I could only find a Kate family tree where I had to pay. Might have to settle on Mike.

flowerygirl Mon 17-Dec-12 18:10:54

If it's a boy, I think it will be called Arthur...I can feel it in my waters!

EtoilesPleinLesYeux Mon 17-Dec-12 19:09:38

Isn't cameron's son called Arthur?

EtoilesPleinLesYeux Mon 17-Dec-12 19:12:48

George or David or Alfred for a boy
Elizabeth or Victoria or Helena for a girl

Diana would be magnificent, that would piss everyone off so much.

CruCru Mon 17-Dec-12 20:39:12

You know that the Queen gets to veto their choice if she doesn't like it? That's what happened with one of Fergie's original choices.

It won't be:
Jane
Mary
John

They were all tragic monachs (Lady Jane Grey, Bloody Mary etc).

I would be surprised if they used Elizabeth as the current queen is still alive.

CruCru Mon 17-Dec-12 20:47:17

Even if they give their DC a particular name, it doesn't mean they'll use it as monach. Charles is rumoured to plan to be King George (as Charles 1 was beheaded and Charles II was a playboy).

PickledInAPearTree Mon 17-Dec-12 20:49:31

Queenie

EtoilesPleinLesYeux Mon 17-Dec-12 21:14:57

Why the hell did the queen call him Charles in the first place?

CruCru Mon 17-Dec-12 21:22:31

Well, I think what a monach calls themself is up to them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now